Thread: Would you swap uppers?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Would you swap uppers?

I recently purchased a BCM upper with a Centurion 11.5 CHF barrel and URX ll installed. The upper is a non-m4 feedramp upper, and the barrel has m4 feedramps.

Should I bother buying a BCM stripped M4 upper and swapping? If so, who can remove a URX ll that I can trust to do good work (ADCO won't).
    "The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Barrel with ramps and receiver without = fine
    Reciever with ramps and barrel without = bad thing

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I understand it will work ok, but it won't cause issues for hard use? I am building this gun for training classes and it will be run through its paces. I would just rather take care of it now if it might be an issue, since I have another 5 months until my stamp comes back.
    "The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bothers you swap it out so that it is no longer an issue

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It will probably work fine. If not, you could try VLTOR's A5 system, which should slow the cycling enough that the M4 cuts are no longer necessary. Just an idea to keep in mind in case you run into cycling issues.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not that its the perfect solution, but a couple minutes work with a round jewelers file will put ramps there.
    *NOT* a dremel. Way too fast working and powerful for such a subtle task

Know that it may break through the anodizing and the angle will be off a couple degrees from true M4 ramps, but it will function pretty much identically to the real deal in full auto fire. Semi auto is not going to be an issue unless you can yank the trigger at a 800 to 900 round per minute pace.

Would 'I' swap uppers just because of the absence of receiver ramps?
    Nope.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 03-21-12 at 11:44. Reason: dremel part

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For semi-only, with decent magazines, it's a complete nonissue. Feed ramps cut into the receiver are nice to have, but unless you're noticing the skid marks on the barrel ramps from the bullet jacket far enough down to be concerned, then you're set up perfectly.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did you buy this as a barreled upper from BCM? I'm just curious how you wound up with this combination.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Did you buy this as a barreled upper from BCM? I'm just curious how you wound up with this combination.

Same thoughts here.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I traded uppers with a member who couldn't get a CLEO signature after purchasing from another member here.

Specs were:
    BCM upper, centurion arms 11.5 CHF barrel, CMMG micro gas block, KAC URXll and a CMMG BCG. Assembled by Lawman Shooter Supply.

I traded for my LMT upper, sans BCG, and called it a deal. I put a new BCM BCG in it with my gunfighter mod4.

I didn't know BCM made a non-M4 feedramp upper until the other day, while searching their site. I went and checked, sure as shit mine doesn't have them. I did some reading and the research said it was ok, but feedramps are preferred. I have a semi-only so I gues I will be fine.