Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: which 3 knives?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    1. Usually a short blade machete or "camp knife" - sometimes a boy's axe.

2. Some sort of ~4" blade knife like a ESEE.

3. Usually a SAK OHT - sometimes a multitool, I like the SOG and Gerber.
    This is my preference as well.

I spend alot of time hunting/camping here year round,and a couple weeks a year hunting elk out west in remote locations.

Typically I carry a Condor Golok on my back pack or belt depending on situation,which serves to do light axe work,as well as a general purpose camp knife,large game field cleaning/butchering needs etc..

I have several folders that I have a preference for and carry which ever tickles my fancy,maybe two.

My designated belt knife is one of the older Cold Steel Carbon V Recon Tanto's.Thing has shown to be as tough and durable as a rail spike,so I rely on it.

I wear a Gerber multi tool 24/7,so Ive always got one on or with me.

I have seen no need for a hand saw as I usually only burn what wood I gather from ground clutter.Long small to medium limbs/fallen tree's I wedge between two tree's that are close together and break it up using leverage.Large pieces of wood/logs I burn in half or work it thru the fire little at a time.So I don't do any real wood work beyond clearing brush from the camp site.

As for a pure last resort only one tool in a survival scenario,I'd rather have the Golok.Fits the bill for axe duty and knife needs.Fantastic all around tool to say the least.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    when you start looking at things like trapping, you will start to like the small saw that is on many SAKs. Fig-4 and the Promentory Peg dead falls are much quicker to make with the saw as are several Twitch-up triggers.

Muddyboots
    Dirty AR Club

"Lube and GO!-If I wanted to clean out carbon I'd be a chimney sweep!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    Large kukri/machete to clear brush, mora knife, and cold steel bushman folder.
    Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the CS Pocket Bushman. I've batoned through 3" thick stuff with it and it suffers no ill effects other than getting harder to close. Anytime I go somewhere it is stashed somewhere in my bag or on my person.

I'm a fan of the ubiquitous Mora. Super cheap and useful. I keep that and an Arkan-Saw in my car at all times.
    I did just order an ESEE Izula to try for EDC. Seems like a nice, small blade in a relatively compact package for a fixed blade.

I usually keep a multi tool in my bag as well. Either a gerber or a leatherman skeletool. But those Multitasker tools look pretty bad ass.
    Add a camp axe or the right thick machete and I think I'd be good to go.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
    when you start looking at things like trapping, you will start to like the small saw that is on many SAKs. Fig-4 and the Promentory Peg dead falls are much quicker to make with the saw as are several Twitch-up triggers.

Muddyboots
    Yeap small blade type saws make things easier.My Gerber multi-tool has a similar saw blade,I also have a cable saw.
    That said I can pretty much cut/carve just about anything I need without a saw most of the time.
    My reference was thoughts on typical camp or bow saw applications more than pure survival sustainment.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    1. Usually a short blade machete or "camp knife" - sometimes a boy's axe.

2. Some sort of ~4" blade knife like a ESEE.

3. Usually a SAK OHT - sometimes a multitool, I like the SOG and Gerber.
    This, EXACTLY.

My 3 are:
    1. Leatherman charge.
    2. Doug Ritter MK3 4.5 fixed blade (s30v). Recently acquired a Swamp Rat Ratmandu, but this is a MUCH thicker blade and doesn't handle dressing, slicing, and ordinary camp tasks as well as the Ritter. The MK3 is a phenomenal all-purpose blade.
    3. ESEE Junglas (takes the place of an axe/machete).

* Note: when I go camping or hunting on overnight trips, I ordinarily bring a light folding Silky Saw (the Top Gun model) rather than the Junglas. It's less than half the weight, and quicker to produce firewood. In a true survival situation, if I could I'd grab the Junglas as it would handle a wider range of tasks than the saw.

When I can only have one knife:
    * Swamp Rat Ratmandu. As they are not currently producing the Ratmandu, consider the new Rodent 4 as a replacement. It might be better anyway as it's nearly an inch shorter, and lighter.
    Last edited by maximus83; 05-12-12 at 13:37. Reason: add saw

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    My ESEE 4, my Leatherman would be my first two choices. A pocket folder would be my 3rd choice.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

3 knives

1.randall #15. some scum medic stole it when med-vacd to Japan.

2.gollock had a machinist cut serations in the top to saw with.

3.sak w/saw blade.

been working for 40 yrs will probably work for 40 more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1. Cold Steel Kukri Machete (the good one not the $19 version)
    2. DeLeon Bowie Custom
    3. Leatherman Wave
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    What dive/ water-focused knife would you guys substitute?

Feedback Score
    I always carry 4 knives with me for short trips:
    1 . H&K Entourage Automatic Tanto Knife
    2. Boker Automatic Kalashnikov Knife Tactical Dagger
    3. SOG Seal Pup
    4. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Survival Knife

And if on the longer stays, I add 1 more (5 total)
    5. SOG Seal Team Elite 7"

I really want to buy soon another one to add:
    SOGfari Machete 13"

just my 2cents

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast