Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Caliber question

Feedback Score
    All good comments.

When comparing well designed duty handgun ammunition, there are minimal differences in penetration depths and temporary cavity effects, as noted below in the gel shots by Doug Carr:

As you increase bullet size and mass from 9 mm/357 Sig, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP, more tissue is crushed, resulting in a larger permanent cavity. In addition, the larger bullets often offer better performance through intermediate barriers. For some, the incremental advantages of the larger calibers are offset by weapon platform characteristics. As is quite obvious from the photo above, NONE of the common service pistol calibers generate temporary cavities of sufficient magnitude to cause significant tissue damage. Anyone interested in this topic should read and periodically re-read, “Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness” by Urey Patrick of the FBI FTU, as this remains the single best discussion of the wound ballistic requirements of handguns used for self-defense -- it is available at: http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

----------------------------------------

Basically all the standard service calibers work when fed good quality ammunition. The platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. For example, Glocks and Sigs tend to run best in 9 mm; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package; while a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P, HK45, or possibly the SA .45 ACP XD.

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.

------------------------------------------

The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    DocGKR,

Well said as always. Interesting to note that there was only one round added to the list of acceptable performing ammunition over the last couple years.

Spooky

Feedback Score
    DocGKR always has the dope for these things... and is tough to follow, all I can offer is some experience, take it for what it is worth.

I had a chance to work with the SBS some years back... I never once thought of those lads with their 9mm HPs as "under gunned".

As for handgun terminal ballistics, it is really a crap shoot... no matter what "should" happen. I saw a guy take a 25ACP in the back one night and he was DRT, yet I seen a dude take two 10mm to the chest and run around till he bled out. Had a young, fit man die en route from a small caliber wound to the thigh, lodged in the muscle, no bleeding, really just a flesh wound... guess he figured as he was shot and all, that he needed to die.

As GKR pointed out, there are a bunch of cartridge and bullet combinations that are "capable" -- and we know from the discussions about 1911s, tupperguns and even wheel guns, that there are a lot of pistols that are perfectly "capable".

That leaves the variable that no one wants to deal with, the shooter. We all know Rule Number One: Have a Gun.

So pick the pistol/cartridge combo that you like and are comfortable with... the one that feels good, points and shoots well, that you can afford and will practice and become proficient with. The combination that will make you "capable".

I have yet to see a would be bad guy that would be scared off by his potential victim's threat of a lay-a-way receipt for a three thousand dollar custom pistol -- or the victim stating that he "has a gun", but left it at home, cause he is not comfortable carrying it.

At the same time... I don't know of many bad guys, who - when confronted with an armed response - will say "whoa there... don't you know nine out of ten internet keyboard commandos say that they would not use that pistol/caliber combination?"

Anyway... I am off the soap box now...

Lots of good advice on M4C to help you pick a pistol, cartridge, support gear and training -- and at least when you say what you got, you probably won't get "oh noes!!11 that gun is teh suck d00d!!111!! u should get what i got cause i got one and i got it cause i posted a poll and asked every1 what i should get"

Feedback Score
    This thread should get tacked.

Thanks GKR and KLD!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Blake, if cheaper 9mm ammo means you're going to practice with it more than the .45, then I am all for you getting an M&P9.

If time and funds allow, I can guarantee you'll pick up the .45 too
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    These are some good responses, which I am looking for. I didn't want this to sound like I'm just getting in to training, or trying to figure my first buy. I have and shoot the hell both out of a Nighthawk 1911, and a Glock 17. I'm just thinking of picking up my 9mm usuage, because of the significant cost advantage. Not necessary going exclusive 9mm, but dedicating a much larger percentage of my rounds down range. When you talk about several thousand rounds per year, the cost adds up. That was why the question came to my mind when trying to decide which MP I was gonna buy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    So pick the pistol/cartridge combo that you like and are comfortable with... the one that feels good, points and shoots well, that you can afford and will practice and become proficient with. The combination that will make you "capable".
    Amen.

Handguns are intensely personal weapons and one should choose the reliable, service quality handgun that works best for their particular needs. If, for instance, you shoot a Glock 19 naturally and find it easy to get excellent accuracy at speed and under stress with it, you would be foolish to carry a 1911 that you don't shoot as well just to get the bigger bullet.

Similarly, if you have a good reliable 1911 and you shoot it naturally you would be foolish to trade it in for a Glock 19 that you don't shoot as well just to get more capacity.

After reliability, the next most important feature of a handgun in my mind is the accuracy you can get out of it. If there is a design or pattern of handgun in a particular caliber that just seems to work naturally for you and is easy to get good hits with under stress, stick with that weapon and drive on.

Personally the weapons I shoot the most naturally are the 1911 and the M&P in 9mm. (I shoot the 1911 better, but I also get excellent natural performance from my Burwell customized M&P) These options, however, might not be ideal for you. My friend Hawkeye, for instance, has trouble getting the grip safety on 1911 pattern pistols de-activated under stress, and thus found other options to work better for his particular needs. He seems quite happy with the M&Ps he has acquired recently, as have a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site and others....even dedicated Glock fans. Personally I liked my M&P in 9mm so much I bought an M&P 9C and an M&P 45 that I plan to have worked on as well...

The data that DocGKR posted tells you essentially that caliber selection is of tertiary concern thanks to the excellent loads out there in all the common service calibers. There are differences in performance and different caliber and cartridge combos offer different levels of performance through intermediate barriers and the like, but anything off of the list DocGKR provided is verified good-to-go for self defense purposes....Thus the most important thing is to pick the platform and caliber combo that works best for you and train, train, train.

Finding the combo that works best for you, however, can be an ordeal. It took dozens of handguns (that's not exaggeration....I have over two dozen handguns at the moment, and I've sold off several to get it that low....) and lots of time training to come up with what works best for me. If you have buddies who own a variety of handguns try to get some trigger time with them and do some drills to test out how you perform with them. If there is a range near you that offers rental services, take advantage of that and spend some trigger time behind a variety of weapons. Attending good formal training is also a great way to find out what works for you and what doesn't...and if you see that someone brought a weapon that works pretty good for them in training and you'd like to run some drills with it often you'll find that the owner will be happy to let you give it a run.

Finding the setup that works best for you is more of an evolutionary process than a fixed point for many people, so don't be surprised if you end up going through several phases.

Feedback Score
    Reloading will decrease your cost and allow you to train with your 45 more often. Tracy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package;
    I have been hitting all the local gun shops lately to see what they have in stock for an AK 47.... Only thing I have found is a few WASR10's.....

Anyway one of the shops has a great price on the M&P's, first time I have handled one of these.

I was extremely impressed on how it felt, so much so I was tempted to take one home.

But all they had in stock was a compact 9mm and a .40 S&W.
    The 40 round seems to pack quite a punch. The M&P 40 holds 15+1 just 2 rounds short of the 9.

How do you guys feel about the 40 S&W round?.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the .40. I own and carry .40's often. I carried a Glock 22 on duty and a 27 a backup. I still carry the 27 on my ankle or on my hip or in a pocket holster often. Never had a problem with either. My dept has had no problems with the .40S&W in shootings. I think they are a decent performer and a reasonable compromise between 9mm and .45. That being said I prefer .45 but wouldn't feel bad with 9mm either. I do think that .40 is a bit snappier than 9mm and with modern bullet design I don't know that the sharper recoil really nets you any real gain, as would appear to be reinforced by Doc's graphic above. As has been mentioned above the 9mm will probably be the cheapest to shoot, followed by the .40 and then the .45. Get whichever you think will fit you best as I think all three rounds are good performers and haven't heard that any one model of M&P to be any more or less reliable than any other. Good luck and enjoy whichever you decide on and I look forward to pics of your new purchase!

-RD62

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast