Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military sleep system

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Military sleep system

Is there anything available on the commercial market that is better than the military sleep system based on cost, weight, performance? You can get a MSS on Amazon for like a 100 bucks but they are heavy and don't compress well. It's a bonus that They are cheap and I like the 3 bags and bivy setup. Anything available on the commercial market that is lighter more compressible but isn't going to cost 5 times more?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Kyle Defoor has some videos on his YouTube channel about what he's found out to work best. He runs the hell out of his outdoor gear. I got an outdoor research bivy bag on his recommendation and I love it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's what I use and like you said they work well and are fairly cheap. There are absolutely better, lighter options out there but none of them are gonna be anywhere near the price point of an MSS.

If compression is an issue, check out kifaru's compression stuff sacks—they work soo well they can literally take the MSS down to half it's size.
    Last edited by Ouroborous; 02-09-15 at 20:30.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Kyle Defoor has some videos on his YouTube channel about what he's found out to work best. He runs the hell out of his outdoor gear. I got an outdoor research bivy bag on his recommendation and I love it.
    Do you have a link for this? I looked around, but didn't yield any results for Defoor talking sleep gear.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For the maximum warmth to weight ratio, high quality down (800 fill) is the way to go. It also is the most expensive warmth to $$$ ratio. When I was considering hitting the Appalachian trail in a semi-minimalist approach I wanted to pack an 800 fill 10-15F down bag with a back country shelter supported by trekking poles, such as the Black Diamond Mega or Beta, or a bivvy shelter. Weight (I'm tall, so I would need a long bag and bivvy) would be around 4 lbs, but cost would be north of $700. Packed size would be very manageable in a smaller bag. Down, however, is not worth squat if it gets wet. If you plan to camp out in dry or arctic conditions, down and a bivvy are realistic. In monsoon conditions I would look for a synthetic bag, and some kind of tent over a bivvy. Weight then gets heavier, packability is less (bulkier than down). Cost may be a bit less, but still well past the $100 point.

Edited for price estimate
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 02-09-15 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Do you have a link for this? I looked around, but didn't yield any results for Defoor talking sleep gear.
    Damn. It looks like his gear reviews are gone now. He had a lot of good reviews of outdoors gear and I've followed a lot of his advice. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My sleep system :

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's about 5-7 lbs total including the dry compression sack for my sleep system and shelter. I can throw the sack in a lake if I want and not have to worry about it getting wet. My pad is an insulated inflatable mat that doesn't require a pump. It's absolutely awesome and very comfortable. I only use synthetic since I'll soak a down bag. Down anything always make me sweat to much for some reason. My bag is like a feather and very warm but I sleep hot anyways. The bivy is solid gore tex so it can pretty much handle a tsunami. If the weather is good it has a zippered mesh to sleep exposed and keep the creepy crawlies out. It packs down super small and light and handles moisture well. I can't ask for much more. You can get the same bivy with a bow for the head area if you want to have it open inside. It has loops to tie it down if you want to as well as a loop over the head area to prop it up without a bow if you want.

Last edited by Mr blasty; 02-09-15 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Better and cheaper are mutually exclusive terms when it comes to sleep systems. Many of the military guys with the special budgets swear by Wiggy's bags.

http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?Categ...TOKEN=79353212
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-10-15 at 07:56.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast