Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: When and why did the 30rd mag come about?

Feedback Score
    A dear friend of mine served two tours in the RVN with the 101st 71 & 72. He encountered 30 rd mags in '71 and they were issued at that time 3 per man . Of course by hook & crook they acquired more per man as there was always gear in the rear for sale/trade. Myself I went in the army in '85 to 88 and we had 30 rd mags out the wazoo. It was only when I went ARNG after my active gig that I encountered 20 rd mags in gobs...and I mean in gobs !.
    ARE you Human , Negative , I am COG popsicle.

Feedback Score
    I went through basic at Ft McClellan in 1986 we were issued both 20 and 30 round mags. All of the 20's I had were Colt manufactured and the 30's were Adventureline.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looking at pictures of the 82nd and Rangers in Grenada they are all shown with 30 rd mags in their M16A1s. When I entered in 83' we had both 20s and 30s available for use. Getting harder and harder to find the 20s as most units threw them away or walked. Now as a contractor I still carry 20s in a combat zone in the gun where ALL reloads are 30s. The 20 in the gun is more compact when inside aircraft, armored vehicle so that when the gun is positioned between my knees muzzle down it doesn't bang my old knees which 30s do. When jumping out of airplanes and using a M1950 weapons case a 30 won't fit but a 20 does and then all you have to do is chamber the round once on the ground. When jumping exposed weapon use the 30 as the reserve parachute belly band secures the weapon better. 20s are also easier when finning subsurface (ie swimming underwater) as its less likely to snag other equipment/lines.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coldblue View Post
    When Mr. Stoner showed his rifle to the Army at Ft. Benning, it had his original 25-round AR magazine. he told me a colonel told him to reduce it to 20 rounds as a "burst control measure."
    I came to post this. Original mag was a 25rd straight mag. I think they were steel as well.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Using the mag as a rest does not cause any issues, that is a long term myth like making sure the gas ring gaps are not aligned or the gun will blow up. Both total bunk. Been shooting off the mag as a support for more than 18 years now.
    pat
    Just catching up to this thread.
    Of course speculation but could this be a difference of non-M4 cut feed ramps having problems/causing malfunctions in this situation and M4 cut feed ramps working fine is the same situation?
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    BTW, thanks Alaskapopo, LAV, Combat_Diver, and others for all the outstanding info and pics. Wish I would have found this thread earlier as it has been one of the most enjoyable. Always nice to know the "why" behind decisions with equipment and peoples motivations for decisions.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    When were the waffle mags made? I assume NDS isn't just making shit up.

Feedback Score
    The steel 20rd waffle magazines were phased out after their poor performance in the late 1962 US Army trials. Springfield Armory offered Colt a revised steel magazine design, but clearly, Colt reverted back to their own aluminum 20rd design.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love the history and evolution in this thread. The personal experiences make it a real gem!

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast