Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When and why did the 30rd mag come about?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I saw the same ducmentary some years ago.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Kind of reminds me of what I posted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by 48J View Post
    medicman816 is closest based on several documentaries that I recall seeing in the mid to late 1990s. Dr. William Atwater, curator of the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground, was featured in several Weapons At War segments that discussed the introduction of the M16 rifle into service with US Forces in the early 1960s. The shows were on the History and Discovery Channels. Dr. Atwater, as I recall, described the adoption of the 30 round mag being based on Army and Marine Infantrymen having seen the 30 round mag for the AK47 and demanding 30 rounders for the M16.

I searched both History and Discovery Channels for DVDs on the topic but did not find the specific videos. Dr. Atwater's wikipedia site does mention his participation in these types of videos.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Dano5326 Guest
    I'm pretty sure the 30 came out after feeling slighted by the Teams with HK33's and 40rd mags... Ha.

I actually have no idea. These things all happened before I was born.

A while ago, I do remember seeing some Stoner 63's, before they were sent back and presumably chopped up, and believe they had a constant curvature 30rd mag with HK like stops. Not sure if the 63 predates the M16 30rdrs.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by medicman816 View Post
    Based on the following, I think lone ranger is correct.

I remember once seeing a stoner interview that discussed this. It was probably a history channel history of the gun show on the m16. It may have been on a show about the comparison of the m16 and ak47 as i think that stoner and kalachnikov we're at the interview together. I have no other way of citing the source, it was back in the 90's. I also don't know if it was a made up answer or not so take it for what it's worth. Stoner basically said that the GI's were happy with the 20 round magazines until they heard about the 30 round magazines that the ak47 had, then they wanted them too. Seems to make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Kind of reminds me of what I posted earlier.
    I recall seeing that same interview as well.
    Last edited by SteveL; 03-25-12 at 20:00.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post

A while ago, I do remember seeing some Stoner 63's, before they were sent back and presumably chopped up, and believe they had a constant curvature 30rd mag with HK like stops. Not sure if the 63 predates the M16 30rdrs.
    I believe the 63 always had a 30 as it's baseline mag and predated the M-16 30 by several years.

My info is the 16 30 was initially put into service in 1969 and was not a common issue item till near the very end of the war.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 03-25-12 at 20:30.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I remember something about us matching what the commies had- 30 rd AK.

I have read that the 30rd AR mag was problematical at first. I think that Iraqguns explained it well in one of the first posts.

I think about 1969 for a beginning of issue date for 30rd AR mags. But, thinking hard, I dont remember ever using 30rd mags until the late 70's or early 80's?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I attended USMC Basic in 1981. 30 rounders were all I ever saw, be it in Basic Training or in the FMF.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatherholyholy View Post
    My, you learn something new every day. When I was a boy my father had a bolt action AR15. The world just keeps growing.
    ??? Do you mean a space gun?
    Last edited by Mr blasty; 03-31-12 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thought this post from Kevin Gibson from another forum would be pertinent here:

"The straight, then curved shape of the AR-15 30 rounder has been a problem from the beginning. I met Gene Stoner at an event where he was a keynote speaker and both in his speech and afterward as myself and a few others got to spend some time with him discussing things, he just plain HATED that 30 round magazine…just went on and on.

The first pass at a 30 rounder was a constant curve magazine but it proved to not have enough curve, so they went to the straight then curved design. The PMAG has the straight then curved shape on the outside, but internally it’s a steady curve. While it’s still a bit of a compromise design, the PMAG gets it as close to right as it’s ever likely to get. The PMAG is an excellent magazine. If you intend to use 30 rounders you’re doing yourself a disservice to use anything else."
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 03-31-12 at 19:02.
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    Doctrine decides what the standard infantry load is and what equipment we buy to carry it.
    M 1956 loads
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1956_L...ring_Equipment
    This link says the 30 round mag case came out in '69
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderni...ying_Equipment
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast