Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about the 1.5X ACOGs

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You make some very good points, of which I don't disagree at all.

the photo's are a bit deceiving, but in the last 3 you can certainly tell that the FOV is getting smaller and smaller. Taking them inside with a distance of only 15 ft. definitely doesnt help.

I run the TA45 on the last slot of my upper receiver. with a SOPMOD stock in the 2nd click out, my eye is about 6" from the ocular. this works very well for me. I would say that the maximum distance the TA45 could be effectively used in a "red dot" capacity would be 8-9". Still pretty good, IMO.

This little optic is a great alternative for guys like me with astigmatism.

I also agree that the amber is the way to go. Color is very subjective, but I had similar feelings you did about R & G. amber seems to work well for me out here in CA/AZ.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    OK, I'll try my $0.02.

I'm a big fan of ACOGs. I usually have mounted at least a TA44, TA45, TA50 (not recommended unless nothing else will do), and several TA11s. Some thoughts, and I will contradict some of what others have said, but I'm just trying to be honest.

Unlike most manufacturers, Trijicon's eye relief specs are short. In my experience, you can add about 1" to their listed ER and still have very good reticule use.

I agree what Tomtom states about the TA45s, but I do not believe the photos accurately depict my experience with the TA45 at various distances. I can hold my head about 6" from the ocular with a good sight picture, but after that it begins to degrade to the point that only the center of the reticule is usable (i.e., you begin to lose the edges of the FOV).

Although I once had a TA33 (red chevron), I ditched it in a swap with a Texas deputy for a TA45 (triangle). He needed the distance, I wanted the versatility to mount the scope on a carry handle with a fixed stock. (TA33s will not mount on carry handles and permit use of iron sights; their objective bells will block the irons.) I have no experience with the horseshoe reticule, but the < 19" FoV at 100 yards really gets me concerned about what is going on outside that narrow area. Yeah, I know we are all shooting with both eyes open and assiduously using the Binden Aiming Concept , but who has not closed one eye for the 100 + yard shot?

I also believe the amber color is the way to go. The red blooms a bit too much for consistent use in bright sunlight, and the green gets lost sometimes in the well-watered New England woods where I spend a lot of time.

I am also old school enough to respect the cross hair. I can get a get a good precision aiming spot for accuracy past 300 yards, experience will tell me what the holdover is, and, at least with the crappy ER TA50, I know that the "empty spot" between the black bars represents 3" at 7 yards; good enough for closer work.

I am seriously considering getting a TA47-4 for my next build.

That is all. No offense to anyone intended.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    The most important thing for me to do then is to actually physically mount one to my M1A to try it out, and only then will i be able to decide if it will work or not. Unfortunately, finding one in which i can do this has proven difficult.
    I have emailed Trijicon numerous times about making a dedicated scout scope, and their response has been that the requests will not be ignored, and it is "in the works" so maybe i will just continue to wait and run with irons until that magical day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    The most important thing for me to do then is to actually physically mount one to my M1A to try it out, and only then will i be able to decide if it will work or not. Unfortunately, finding one in which i can do this has proven difficult.
    I have emailed Trijicon numerous times about making a dedicated scout scope, and their response has been that the requests will not be ignored, and it is "in the works" so maybe i will just continue to wait and run with irons until that magical day.
    Maskari:

Come to think of it, I have seen a compact ACOG mounted on a M1A (22" bbl) with a conventional mount system (e.g., Brookfield/Sadlak/Smith type). It's owner said it worked great, but I never saw it in action.

The more I think about it, I believe that Rob_s has it right: If you are going to take advantage of the forward Ultimak rail your best bet is to go with the Aimpoint and forget about the eye relief issue completely.

Having cadged together a number of scout rifles based on Swedish Mausers, I know that this is a tricky issue. Some people have tried it with pistol scopes, but it really takes a dedicated intermediate eye relief scope to do this (e.g., Leupold or Burris).

I may be able to help out a bit on this. PM me if you want to discuss.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I actually did have a burris pistol scope mounted and it was great except for the weight and size. And non illuminated reticle.
    Honestly, something like a TA33 with longer eye relief and a lower mount would be perfect. I'm not a fan of electronic optics, so that's out of the question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The TR21 might work for you. Eye relief is long, it needs a more extended mount on an AR than most scopes and I had to mount one in the "half scout" position on a bolt action for propper eye relief.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=71

Not sure about the angle of ejection on the M1A, also note my rifle had a youth stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMTOM View Post
    Finally got a chance to take some pictures...just ignore my condo... Pictures were taken facing my patio, the distance from the front of the ACOG to the sliding door is 15 feet.

All Pictures are taken with no zoom (all i did was move the camera back), from the following distances (in order):

picture #1: 3.6" (listed eye relief)
    Picture #2: 6"
    Picture #3: 9"
    Picture #4: 12"
    Picture #5: 15"
    Picture #6: 18"
    Those distances sure wouldn't have worked on my TA44SG10.

Maybe my bias is that I wear glasses and that has an effect on parallax and whatnot, but I couldn't get a good sight picture without my head being really close to it.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-05-12 at 11:20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12