Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When did civilian AR15s get popular?

Feedback Score

When did civilian AR15s get popular?

I presume that back in the 1960's citizens were buying AR15s for personal use. I doubt they were as popular then as they are now though?

How much did they cost compared to bolt action rifles of the time?

Feedback Score
    Although I think the AR15 was relatively popular in the civilian market in the 1980s and 1990s, I think there popularity really exploded in the last 5-6 years particularly since 2008-09 timeframe when they truly became mainstream.

Feedback Score
    I think the trend really began in the late 1990's or early 2000's, with the expiration of the federal assault weapons ban in 2004 really adding fuel to the fire. Simply looking at historical (public) ATF production numbers for known AR manufactures would give you a pretty good idea of how many guns are being made now compared to 10, 20, 30+ years ago. It's not perfect since only calibers are specified, not model names, but it's something.

Edited to add: I bought my first ban-era AR15 when I was 18 years old. I brought it to my buddy's house to show his father, who is big into hunting and sport shooting. He took one look at the rifle and told me, "get that piece of shit out of my house." Fast forward to today and he's calling me for advice on which new AR or accessories to buy...
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems to me their popularity first jumped just AFTER the 1994 AWB. I bought an Olympic Arms (hey I lived in Olympia) in about 1991 (?). After the ban I sold it for a small profit as I wasn't into the AR so much then and bought my second Garand. But the AWB definitely increased its popularity. Sort of a thumb our nose at the attempted ban.

I think the second big jump was after the 2004 sunset of the ban and many more young men had military exposure to the M16/M4 and prices for near mil spec came way down.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The AWB boosted sales and interest in virtually all "assault rifles". Shops that had been sitting on guns like G3s, FALs, AKs, and ARs suddenly had them flying off the shelves. Nobody had ever thought those guns might be restricted and everyone just assumed that if they ever needed or wanted one they'd just trot down to the gunshop and buy one.

Enter the ban, and virtually everyone assumed that not only would it be renewed at the end but that it would be made WORSE, and people started buying everything they could get their hands on. I worked at a gunshop from '97-'00 (I think, definitely worked through y2k) and saw this firsthand as we were doing steady business in neutered "assault rifles" and you were big king dingaling if you had a preban.

Just like Obama getting elected did more for the gun bidness nearly 4 years ago than any other factor, the AWB is really what laid the groundwork for that and put the idea of "I may not always be able to buy this" into people's minds (much of which is simply an excuse to accumulate more shit, but that's another thread I'm sure).

y2k didn't help either. I was selling guns to guys that would come in and say things like "well, I don't really believe in guns, but if something happens I want to have one". Much like today's paranoia, "preppers", etc. is fueling gun sales. A friend at work just asked me yesterday what it would take for him to get two ARs and associated accessories. He's the furthest thing from a "gun guy" you'd ever meet. Not an anti, just not interested, and here he is wanting two ARs.

I think it's great, as it's what fuels the market. If Larue, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc. didn't have a commercial market to fuel them along with their desire to make money, we wouldn't see 1/10 the innovation we see from these guys. They need to come out with New-Hotness so they can get you to buy it and replace Old-Busted. It's capitalism at it's best, with the desire to make money fueling innovation. Every jagoff that buys the latest and greatest to stick in his safe is encouraging those companies to make more and better so the 1% will have better products when they actually go to the range.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I bought my first one in 02 when I turned 18. They were not very popular in my area at the time. I had a hard time getting my hands on one, and most poeple thought I was crazy for buying one. Now of course, they have them on the shelves at walmart.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The AWB boosted sales and interest in virtually all "assault rifles". Shops that had been sitting on guns like G3s, FALs, AKs, and ARs suddenly had them flying off the shelves. Nobody had ever thought those guns might be restricted and everyone just assumed that if they ever needed or wanted one they'd just trot down to the gunshop and buy one.

Enter the ban, and virtually everyone assumed that not only would it be renewed at the end but that it would be made WORSE, and people started buying everything they could get their hands on. I worked at a gunshop from '97-'00 (I think, definitely worked through y2k) and saw this firsthand as we were doing steady business in neutered "assault rifles" and you were big king dingaling if you had a preban.

Just like Obama getting elected did more for the gun bidness nearly 4 years ago than any other factor, the AWB is really what laid the groundwork for that and put the idea of "I may not always be able to buy this" into people's minds (much of which is simply an excuse to accumulate more shit, but that's another thread I'm sure).

y2k didn't help either. I was selling guns to guys that would come in and say things like "well, I don't really believe in guns, but if something happens I want to have one". Much like today's paranoia, "preppers", etc. is fueling gun sales. A friend at work just asked me yesterday what it would take for him to get two ARs and associated accessories. He's the furthest thing from a "gun guy" you'd ever meet. Not an anti, just not interested, and here he is wanting two ARs.

I think it's great, as it's what fuels the market. If Larue, Daniel Defense, BCM, etc. didn't have a commercial market to fuel them along with their desire to make money, we wouldn't see 1/10 the innovation we see from these guys. They need to come out with New-Hotness so they can get you to buy it and replace Old-Busted. It's capitalism at it's best, with the desire to make money fueling innovation. Every jagoff that buys the latest and greatest to stick in his safe is encouraging those companies to make more and better so the 1% will have better products when they actually go to the range.
    This report corroborates many of your assumptions: http://nssf.org/share/PDF/MSR_Consum...ort%202010.pdf
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Let me offer a little "older" perspective. I graduated HS (California) in 1986 (I was 17) and I enlisted into the Army. Some of my friends (like minded military types) had Colt AR15's, some had shotguns and a few had pistols given to them by relatives. "Assault weapons" were not considered a big deal. One could go to the local store and purchase a long gun (any flavor) of the shelf with no waiting period.

In fact some of the best gun shows on the west coast were located in California and the show at Pomona was one of the largest.

Back then a new HK91 could be purchased for around 650.00 dollars. AK's were still in their infancy so to speak and were often times "oohed and ahhed" over. FN FAL's were also in abundance as were Springfield M1A's, and lots of other goodies.

At this time the infamous machine gun ban was about 3 months old and prices were definitely affected (no big deal as they were not legal in California).

The next major disaster that hit was the Stockton Schoolyard Massacre. Legislators did their usual and reacted by passing the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act in 1989. This was one of the first attacks on a state level against firearms and they went after them by name and features. It also proved to be a later model of the 1994 Clinton AWB.

In 1999 (as I recall) California modified some of the existing laws to attack even more firearms.

Once these various bans started taking place I believe that the awareness level went up and assault weapons in general became more and more in demand. You then had the GWB senior 1989 Assault Weapons Import Ban signed under executive order.

As the 1990's progressed we then see the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. People are now fully aware that they better buy it now or forget it if this law passes. Prices increased and sales were very brisk as I recall. The media did a great job of highlighting several shootings and demonizing firearms.

For a good ten years the entire industry went stagnant (IMO) and there was alot of emphasis being placed on compact pistols for CCW. During the years after the 1994 AWB concealed carry advocates and lobbying groups fought hard to strengthen and pass more and more CCW laws across the country. Obviously nothing was going to happen on the assault weapons front until the sunset.

Fast forward to 2001 and the U.S now finds itself in a war in Afghanistan. Several small companies are popping up and the increase in tactical gear, gizmos and accessories starts to take off. Then a few years later we find ourselves in combat in Iraq and shortly thereafter the AWB sunsets. Things really start to take off in all directions. We have numerous AR manufacturers coming online, accessories, military/tactical gear, you name it. Between the sunset and the 2 wars it was probably the best thing for the gun industry in decades.

The one constant during all of this is this. There were always those that had their so-called "evil black rifles" and were always believers of the 2nd Amendment. We just weren't in the limelight for everyone to see.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

The KLIN - TON I AWB really accelerated interest in it, since it was AMERICAN made.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    To refresh my memory, when did the Colt patent expire? Multiple manufacturers definitely helped sales climb.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast