Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 precision bolt action rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

.223 precision bolt action rifle

I decided to get a precision bolt action rifle in .223 so I can share ammo with my ARs. Unfortunately, it seems the majority of factory .223 rifles have 1/9 twists. I was planning on using mostly 75-77 grain bullets.
    I wonder what experience people had with .223 bolt rifles in 1/9 twists, and what some rifles that are recommended in this caliber?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a Rem700 5R threaded. It shoots great. I shoot mostly 69gr but I have shot 75grainers very well. We shot 69's out to a 1,000 yards so I don't think you have to have 75grainers to reach out.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have a Rem 700 LTR with 1 in 9" twist barrel and I love it. It has shot every 69gr and 75gr reload I have tried through it into less than 1 MOA along with factory Hornady 75gr, FGMM 69gr, and FGMM 77gr.

Below are pictures of several groups the rifle has produced. The first was done just a few weeks ago and are the first 5 shot groups I ever fired with 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match at 100yds. All are under a MOA, even the 2nd group with the lone flier that was my fault. The second pic is of several 75gr reloads and Hornady factory match ammo I fired through it. Once again, all 5 shot groups at 100yds, and measure less than 1 MOA center to center.

Oh, and the rifle.

Running it through an Advanced LE Course last fall in AZ.

Now shooting 75gr and higher bullets through a 1 in 9" twist can be luck of the draw, but you won't know until you try it. Internet hearsay would have you believe a 1 in 9" will not stabilize anything over 69gr. I have a Rem 700 LTR that will gladly prove them wrong.
    Last edited by boltgun71; 04-01-12 at 05:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice pictures.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    there was a remarkable thread on twist rates and bullet weight a while ago , i suggested it should;d be a sticky. Don't know where it is, but if you can find it, its explains what I can't.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boltgun71 View Post
    Now shooting 75gr and higher bullets through a 1 in 9" twist can be luck of the draw, but you won't know until you try it. Internet hearsay would have you believe a 1 in 9" will not stabilize anything over 69gr.
    Choosing proper twist rate has nothing to do with bullet weight. Velocity, and bullet length are the only two factors. This is the case with all spin-stabilized projectiles.

It just so happens that heavier usually means longer.

You can run longer bullets in a slower twist if you push them fast enough. With enough spin, they will stabilize. Take the F-class and plama shooters. They run long barrels and push things way faster than normal. This affords them a slower twist.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think this may be the thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99666
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you for the info!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Choosing proper twist rate has nothing to do with bullet weight. Velocity, and bullet length are the only two factors. This is the case with all spin-stabilized projectiles.

It just so happens that heavier usually means longer.

You can run longer bullets in a slower twist if you push them fast enough. With enough spin, they will stabilize. Take the F-class and plama shooters. They run long barrels and push things way faster than normal. This affords them a slower twist.
    You are exactly right. The Hornady factory 75gr Match is the only ammo I have chrono'ed through my LTR so far and it has a average velocity of 2,621fps out of its 20", 1 in 9"twist barrel. That has been good enough to stabilize that 75gr projectile out to 300yds on paper and consistently print less than 1 MOA.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I finally got my Remington SPS Tac out in .223 out to sight in and do some groups the other night.

Only shot 4, five shot groups for actual groups size after sighting in and 20 rounds of break-in shots and cleaning. This was the best of the 4 groups . Still had a flyer in there and actually called it after the shot broke. Can't complain 0.4 MOA for 4 or the 5 shots in that group.

Horandy Vmax 50g backed with 24.8g TAC and CCI#400 SRP

Now, that I have a baseline of what this rifle can do I'll be moving onto heavier bullets and combo powders to try...
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 04-01-12 at 15:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast