Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 precision bolt action rifle

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Boxerglocker, give the Hornady .223 75 grain match load a try - it has shot very well out of multiple AR uppers I've tried it in.

BTW, does the "boxer" part of your screen name refer to a sport or an engine configuration?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Boxerglocker, give the Hornady .223 75 grain match load a try - it has shot very well out of multiple AR uppers I've tried it in.

BTW, does the "boxer" part of your screen name refer to a sport or an engine configuration?
    The Boxer refers to my old faithful friend Kira the white boxer dog I have pictured as my Avatar.

I'm try those Horandy 75g match out when I come across them. I'm more inclined to reload my own but do buy small quantities for testing and data baseline.

Feedback Score
    I know it's a bit apples to oranges, but I've had excellent accuracy using Hornady 75gr TAP out of a 16" 1\9 AR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Shared Ammo Is A Good Thing

I had/have the same inclination about like ammo in various rifles.
    My first attempt at a precision bolt gun in .223 was with a 700 sps tactical which I'm very happy with.

Then I got a lucky deal on Steyr Scout (in .223) that I'd been coveting for a while.

Don't ask me how they compare because I haven't had the chance to match them up yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have shot lots of 69 and 75 grain bullets through 1 in 9 twist barrels on both a Savage and Remington SPS Tactical. They shoot great.

Feedback Score
    How does the cheap 55 grain ammo shoot?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    How does the cheap 55 grain ammo shoot?
    Like crap. I didn't think I could shoot 4/5 inch groups with any ammo out of my bolt gun. Rem 700 5R. But you can. I had a similar experience with my LMT MWS, I had some ammo shooting 4/5 inch groups so I thought to myself " gas gun is finicky" . Tried it out of my Remmy 5R, it only came down an inch at best. It truly shocks me how bad some ammo can shoot.

So don't get a bolt gun thinking you can get cheap ammo and stack groups, not gunna happen. Likewise, don't think your bolt gun sucks when you shoot a horrific group. Garbage in Garbge out.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Like crap. I didn't think I could shoot 4/5 inch groups with any ammo out of my bolt gun. Rem 700 5R. But you can. I had a similar experience with my LMT MWS, I had some ammo shooting 4/5 inch groups so I thought to myself " gas gun is finicky" . Tried it out of my Remmy 5R, it only came down an inch at best. It truly shocks me how bad some ammo can shoot.

So don't get a bolt gun thinking you can get cheap ammo and stack groups, not gunna happen. Likewise, don't think your bolt gun sucks when you shoot a horrific group. Garbage in Garbge out.
    You just burst my balloon. Thanks. That is a very usefull piece of info. I had a similar experince with a basic lmt ar. The cheap 55gr stuff was awful. The quality 75gr stuff is just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12