Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pmag and Lower problem!!

Feedback Score

Pmag and Lower problem!!

I just bought my first set of five Pmags and although I have not been able to get them out to the range yet (winter sucks) I have been running them through my weapon. Last night I developed a problem. When the bolt is closed and I have a full mag (30rnds) it will not lock up in the mag well. I tried downloading the mag to 28 and still it would not lock up. If I give it a nice healthy smack on the bottom of the mag it will lock up nice and tight. Where I am a little confused is the mag will lock up with a full 30 rnds if the bolt is locked back in the open postion. The lower that I am running is a Spikes Tactical, and the Upper is a Stag with a CMT BCG. I know there was some problems with the Pmags not locking in the M&P's but after searching the topic it seems my problem is different.

TIA
    -DM-

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know, Dude Man.

Most people here have found the pmag to be easy to seat fully loaded... myself included.

But there's other times when the mag has bounced around in my gear box for a while, and it's difficult to seat on a closed bolt. I get this same result from USGI mags too. I suspect that the ammo shifts slightly and makes seating more difficult sometimes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    it is probably just me being anal retentive. The way I was tought to relaod a mag was to send it home with some force to make sure it seats, so I am most likely getting worked up over nothing.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I tested the Pmags in my lowers, slight differences in them. The full mag on a closed bolt is typical, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    This is the mod that is necessary for out of spec S&W lowers. As you can see just a tiny bit of material remover from the leading edge of the top rib. File should do the job. Before filing I'd check to see if this is the area that is contacting the lower. It sounds like the front of the mag well is a bit out of spec. Hard to tell with out seeing the rifle though. Let us know.

edit....the mag on the left has been modified.

Last edited by DrDrake; 01-02-08 at 15:54. Reason: forgot something
    Magpul bonehead

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    I just bought my first set of five Pmags and although I have not been able to get them out to the range yet (winter sucks) I have been running them through my weapon. Last night I developed a problem. When the bolt is closed and I have a full mag (30rnds) it will not lock up in the mag well. I tried downloading the mag to 28 and still it would not lock up. If I give it a nice healthy smack on the bottom of the mag it will lock up nice and tight. Where I am a little confused is the mag will lock up with a full 30 rnds if the bolt is locked back in the open postion. The lower that I am running is a Spikes Tactical, and the Upper is a Stag with a CMT BCG. I know there was some problems with the Pmags not locking in the M&P's but after searching the topic it seems my problem is different. TIA
    -DM-

I have seen this same thing with a Sun Devil lower. What I believe it is is that the mag catch is too high up on the receiver. So what basically happens is that the rounds make contact with the BCG well before the slot on the mag makes contact with the mag catch.

To prove my point, try downloading the mag to about 20rds and see if you still see the issue.

I could also be way off and your issue is as Drake has shown.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-02-08 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    What I believe it is is that the mag catch is too high up on the receiver.C4
    That is what I was thinking, that the catch is too high.

Feedback Score
    I would file the rib down. This should allow the mag to be inserted a little further.
    Magpul bonehead

Feedback Score
    Well...Regardless of the cause, the effect is still the same, and so are the questions and answers IMO...

1. The Mag should seat in any Mil. Spec. lower including Sun Devil which causes me to re-think my plan to buy a Sun Devil. What other Specs. are not quite right with their lower???

2. The PMAG should not have to be modified to go in to any quality Mil. Spec. Upper, and

3. We continue to NOT see these issues with Mil. Spec. USGI Mags. (At least I'm not hearing about them.)

What is this telling us?

A. Either the Lowers exhibiting problems are not in spec., or

B. The PMAG's are not in spec.

Sounds pretty simple to me, and that is why I believe the jury is still out on PMAG's until there is a lot more field use, with the various component combinations. I have one PMAG that I am "Torture Testing" in my Bushy Lower with an LMT MRP upper, with no problems, but I wouldn't want to worry about which rifle i decide to put which Mags in at any one time. They should all fit.

Feedback Score
    To start off let me say I only have $45 bucks invested in my Mags and over $650 in my HK mags.

My two Pmags will fit and function reliably in all 4 Colt guns and 2 LMT guns. it needs a little love to get into a RRA lower and it jams more in my RRA.

Does Sun Devil have a Mil contract? does S&W have a Mil contract? does RRA have a Mil Contract? Bushmaster DPMS Mega ETC ETC. If they doint have the TDP and CNC code's for there CNC machines, how are they in spec?

Magpul being such a successful company, and possibly having military contracts for there products, it is possible they got the TDP or parts to make mags and or other products.

Granted Magpul could possibly be building mags that do not fall into the spec and a shooting buddy had 18 mags that would not function from magpul (sent them back and got replacements all of which are 100%)

Id be more leary of the lower.

I also dont recommend Pmags over HK mags. I actually recommend D&H or Okay Industries mags to anyone who asks. ( I stopped recommending HK mags due to recent issues with them, Hk building something thats not perfect )

My two PMAGS have been super reliable when used in a Colt or LMT gun. If they keep a track record like my Hk's they will replace them, however im waiting for the clear/smoke mags to be released.

7kHopper this is not intended as a slam on you and Magpul or there products. Magpul is my favorite organization to deal with. you guys are awesome. I will place a order with you guys in the next 8 days for some of your windowed Pmags.

R.Miksits

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast