Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pmag and Lower problem!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had a very hard time seating a 30 round Pmag in my Noveske lower at times. I'm not sure why. They are supposed to seat easily as you can actually load a 31st round into the mag.

It must have something to do with the magwell or the mag catch.

Feedback Score
    SuicideHZ you could be on to something here.

Maybe certian brands of mag catches or bolt catches are slightly diffrent causing problems?

Rob

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Well...Regardless of the cause, the effect is still the same, and so are the questions and answers IMO...

1. The Mag should seat in any Mil. Spec. lower including Sun Devil which causes me to re-think my plan to buy a Sun Devil. What other Specs. are not quite right with their lower???

2. The PMAG should not have to be modified to go in to any quality Mil. Spec. Upper, and

3. We continue to NOT see these issues with Mil. Spec. USGI Mags. (At least I'm not hearing about them.)

What is this telling us?

A. Either the Lowers exhibiting problems are not in spec., or

B. The PMAG's are not in spec.

Sounds pretty simple to me, and that is why I believe the jury is still out on PMAG's until there is a lot more field use, with the various component combinations. I have one PMAG that I am "Torture Testing" in my Bushy Lower with an LMT MRP upper, with no problems, but I wouldn't want to worry about which rifle i decide to put which Mags in at any one time. They should all fit.

Keep in mind that is just ONE SD lower. Just as an FYI, I also have USGI mags that won't work in various lowers. This is somewhat common and can be casaused by several things.

IMHO, billet lowers seem to show the most fit issues with LPK's, mags, etc simply because they generally the low end of the spec vs middle of the spec.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Miksits View Post
    SuicideHZ you could be on to something here.

Maybe certian brands of mag catches or bolt catches are slightly diffrent causing problems?

Rob

Sometimes, the mag catch is improperly adjusted. This is of course an easy fix.

The thing to remember WITH ALL MAGS is that they need to be tested in each and every weapon. I have some USGI mags that will NOT work in some AR's, but work in others. No big deal. Same goes with PMAG's. Work great in some lowers and don't work so well in others.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Sometimes, the mag catch is improperly adjusted. This is of course an easy fix.

How do you adjust the mag catch?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can adjust the in and out amount of the mag catch IIRC but I don't think you can get it to grab mags "lower" or "higher" in the magwell...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

1. The Mag should seat in any Mil. Spec. lower including Sun Devil which causes me to re-think my plan to buy a Sun Devil. What other Specs. are not quite right with their lower???

Mil spec lowers are FA, and follow the GOV mandates for production. Which Mil Spec lower have you had problems with regarding PMAGs? I've used them in numerous, and not had any issues in M16A1s, M16A2s, or M4s.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    How do you adjust the mag catch?

The screw part of the magazine catch should be flush with the outer surface of the release button.

You are going to have to get a pencil and push the button in all the way and turn the mag catch in.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well...Regardless of the cause, the effect is still the same, and so are the questions and answers IMO...

2. The PMAG should not have to be modified to go in to any quality Mil. Spec. Upper, and

3. We continue to NOT see these issues with Mil. Spec. USGI Mags. (At least I'm not hearing about them.)

What is this telling us?

A. Either the Lowers exhibiting problems are not in spec., or

B. The PMAG's are not in spec.

Sounds pretty simple to me, and that is why I believe the jury is still out on PMAG's until there is a lot more field use, with the various component combinations. I have one PMAG that I am "Torture Testing" in my Bushy Lower with an LMT MRP upper, with no problems, but I wouldn't want to worry about which rifle i decide to put which Mags in at any one time. They should all fit.

The PMAG is not out of spec. It was designed around Colt magazine well dimensions.

It cannot "get" out of spec as it is injection molded, unlike an aluminum GI mag than has seams to align.

I'd dump the S&W lower. Any lower that won't accept certain magazines is not worth keeping around.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have seen this same thing with a Sun Devil lower. What I believe it is is that the mag catch is too high up on the receiver. So what basically happens is that the rounds make contact with the BCG well before the slot on the mag makes contact with the mag catch.

To prove my point, try downloading the mag to about 20rds and see if you still see the issue.

I could also be way off and your issue is as Drake has shown.

C4
    Was it a older model of SD lower? I haven't seen a problem with the last 5 I have built up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast