Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pmag and Lower problem!!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    That I know. I stated I loaded them cause that is the standard for the USGI mags and 30 is the standard for the Pmags.

In any event I was bored as all hell I went to work tonight and I tried the filing trick, what a difference that made it being able to seat the mag. Thanks Drake for the tip, it worked out perfectly.

-DM-
    Glad to hear that worked. This leads me to believe that the magwell might be off a touch.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    Apparently the black one and the Tan one are of difference sizes. The tan will drop free while the black are tight in the magwell,even though they have the same date stamp. How many samples are we talking about? 3 out of 6 lowers - and the black ones are tight for the current LMT, colt and bushmaster, and ok for some newer bushmaster and current STAG. When he said tight, he had to yank them out of the LMT lower.

My friend wasn't too impressed. So apparently one mold is thinner than the other.....and no one know which is which becaue the date stamps are the same! My friend was not too happy when magpul told him just to sand them down with pdf instruction...why should the guy need to spend half a day in the garage doing work for stuff he paid for already????

Mags and magwells have an allowable variance. Sometimes the mage might be at the high end of the spec and the lower at the low end (or vice versa).

Alum mags with the same date stamp can vary a lot as well. This is fairly normal.

C4

Feedback Score

geez Louise...

Apparently the black one and the Tan one are of difference sizes.
    ...all this about dimensions made me paranoid and I couldn't get to the range...so, I measured the black p-mags from the LAV class (thanks Magpul) and the new FDE Maglevels from Brownells..

You were right...

The black measured .891-.903.5
    The FDE measured .891-.903
    Both showed exactly 2.530...That's amazing consistency...
    Black mfg date = 08-07
    FDE mfg date = 10-07...
    All seat and drop free properly...from MY 6920...YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Glad to hear that worked. This leads me to believe that the magwell might be off a touch.

C4

That is the way I am taking it. It is a nice little thing to keep in mind when I start the next build.

Feedback Score
    Deleted - there is no point of arguing. Nothing can be done anyways

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The PMAG is not out of spec. It was designed around Colt magazine well dimensions.

It cannot "get" out of spec as it is injection molded, unlike an aluminum GI mag than has seams to align.

I'd dump the S&W lower. Any lower that won't accept certain magazines is not worth keeping around.
    Are you sure that a Pmag can't be out of spec? I bought one mag to try with a S&W and it did not fall free and felt very tight when inserting it. This was disappoiniting since my M&PT was one of the more recent builds that was supposed to be fixed, but i assumed it was an out of spec lower. I ended up selling the Smith and bought a LE 6920 and tried the Pmag and had the same results I had with the S&W. I also bought a Lauer lower that is made by LMT and the Pmag wont drop free. At this point I'm thinking I got an out of spec magazine. I'm not bashing the Pmag I am just saying sometimes even injection molded parts can be a little out of spec.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
    Are you sure that a Pmag can't be out of spec? I bought one mag to try with a S&W and it did not fall free and felt very tight when inserting it. This was disappoiniting since my M&PT was one of the more recent builds that was supposed to be fixed, but i assumed it was an out of spec lower. I ended up selling the Smith and bought a LE 6920 and tried the Pmag and had the same results I had with the S&W. I also bought a Lauer lower that is made by LMT and the Pmag wont drop free. At this point I'm thinking I got an out of spec magazine. I'm not bashing the Pmag I am just saying sometimes even injection molded parts can be a little out of spec.
    Shoot eric an email at eric@magpul.com. Explain what is going on and he'll do what he can to help you out. Thanks.
    Magpul bonehead

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7KOPPER View Post
    Shoot eric an email at eric@magpul.com. Explain what is going on and he'll do what he can to help you out. Thanks.
    Thanks for the offer, but I used a little sand paper and got the mag working. I have no doubt Magpul would make things right had I opted to return the magazine. I've had nothing but great experiences with Magpul products and I'm definitely not going to let one Pmag change my opinion of the company.

Feedback Score
    Hrm ... 5 ten thousandths of an inch ... or in other words, one 2 thousandths of an inch. that IS amazing .

Quote Originally Posted by gyp_c2 View Post
    ...all this about dimensions made me paranoid and I couldn't get to the range...so, I measured the black p-mags from the LAV class (thanks Magpul) and the new FDE Maglevels from Brownells..

You were right...

The black measured .891-.903.5
    The FDE measured .891-.903
    Both showed exactly 2.530...That's amazing consistency...
    Black mfg date = 08-07
    FDE mfg date = 10-07...
    All seat and drop free properly...from MY 6920...YMMV

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234