Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a run on components too?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Will there be a run on components too?

I'm a reloading noob, just mounted and half set up an old hornady progressive that was free to me sans dies and measure.

I just picked up 2lbs of bullseye and 2k of magnum small pistol primers. They were a little salty at 27$ per lb and 39 per 1k(this shop dosent price gouge,that was the same $ a month ago).

Even at that price, has this stuff dissapeared before? Should I buy more?They have more of both and arnt stocking reloading stuff anymore.
    Last edited by theblackknight; 12-20-12 at 12:57. Reason: spell

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would buy at least twice the amount you expect to shoot in the next year. Especially primers...

Feedback Score
    Bullseye runs $22 per pound and primers are $32 per thousand in our area and they have been for a long time. I haven't seen a run on reloading components yet. I believe that the last time around the shortage of primers was due to industry demand for manufacture of new ammunition.

It would not hurt to keep 2 years worth of primers on hand. Powder was not as big of an issue last time, but the price definitely won't go down so buying a 8 pound container might be wise.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-20-12 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    LOL have you looked on line man? That shit is GONE!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The run has already started.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The run has already started.
    The run was pretty much over and done by mid-day Monday for rifle stuff (online ordering). [ETA - for the most popular stuff.] I bought one of the last kegs of Benchmark Monday morning from Grafs. Varget, TAC, etc., were already gone - not that I needed any.

Many shotgun powders are also used for pistol, so your big issue will be primers.

Always stock up on Small Rifle primes when you can (instead of small pistol) - they are fine for small pistol loading. [But large rifle and large pistol primers don't interchange.]

FWIW, I still have Federal small rifle primers left from when they came back after '94. Not what I currently prefer, but they're there.
    Last edited by shootist~; 12-20-12 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    I just picked up 2lbs of bullseye and 2k of magnum small pistol primers. They were a little salty at 27$ per lb and 39 per 1k...
    Those are 1/4 to 1/3 higher than online prices, but you didn't have to pay a $25 hazmat fee, so you probably came out ahead...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    LOL have you looked on line man? That shit is GONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    The run was pretty much over and done by mid-day Monday for rifle stuff (online ordering). [B][ETA - for the most popular stuff.]
    What am I missing?

I just checked Powder Valley, and they're still selling TAC for $127/8lbs and Tula 223 primers for $20.50/1,000.

If this is the "run" on reloading components, then it looks like it's mostly hype...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The last time the guns went out first, then ammo and soon followed by primers, and the more popular powders after that. Bullets were never too much of a problem but primers were DRY for a long time.

Whether it happens again or not I don't know, but it is a good idea to keep well stocked beyond immediate needs because by the time you know a shortage is going to happen it is too late.

Let's just say I keep primers in three locations to lessen the hazard.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think reloading is popular enough for it to become like magazines, receivers and ammo. Locally where I live, mags and ammo are all gone. However, I can still get all the reloading components I want. Didn't keep me from stocking up on bullets and primers today though.
    Last edited by AirmanAtwood; 12-20-12 at 21:37.
    “The defining characteristic of a warrior is the willingness to close with the enemy.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast