Thread: Simple, True drop in upgrades for a 9mm 1911

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Simple, True drop in upgrades for a 9mm 1911

While waiting for my Wilson Combat CQB to arrive, I bought a STI Spartan 9mm to play around with and educate me around the platform. So far, I have detail stripped it, gave everything a cleaning (it came drenched in oil), and lubed it up and it was good to go.

I have not shot it yet, so I cannot comment on what to upgrades to ensure reliability, but I do have some questions regarding some quick drop in parts. First, I realized that full length guide rod makes disassembly a pain in the butt and I actually prefer the look of a GI guide rod and plunger much more. Second, the trigger itself is plastic. I'd like to upgrade to a metal one.

My question: can I just buy a guide rod and plunger, and metal trigger, and drop it in? Are they 9mm/45ACP specific or are they interchangeable? I know the springs are different obviously, but how about the guide rods?

Thanks for the edumacation!
    Last edited by shaneinhisroom; 04-03-12 at 07:22.

Feedback Score
    A guide rod and recoil spring plug will frequently drop in with no problem. Sometimes they do require fitting to the bushing, barrel, frame, etc. depending on your gun. A trigger will drop in from time to time, but I've found that they typically require fitting. One of the best ways to educate yourself about the platform is with the two Kuhnhausen 1911 manuals. I would leave your gun stock for a while, get those two manuals, and be able to detail strip it (and know how every single part interacts) in your sleep. Given the current state of 1911 manufacturing, almost nothing is truly putting the part in and running the gun. At a minimum, you'll have to verify a few things even if it appears to drop in.
    Last edited by Mongol; 04-03-12 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OK- I'll look into those, and I may give STI a call.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Trigger probably will not drop in, but all it takes is some sandpaper and a sharpie and you can fit it yourself. It is so easy, even a caveman could do it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Why not shoot it first? Don't you want to know how it shoots or do aesthetics matter that much to you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Simple, True drop in upgrades for a 9mm 1911
    Grip screws

There are some "drop in" triggers available and STI even sells one. "Drop in" triggers have shoes that are smaller than the channel in most 1911s so they usually require less fitting than an oversized "match" trigger. The downside is that you will likely have a trigger that fits loosely in the frame and your trigger pull won't feel as nice as it would with a trigger that has been fit to your frame.

The STI polymer trigger is a nice part and you will be hard pressed to improve on it unless you fit an oversized trigger to your pistol.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Grip screws

There are some "drop in" triggers available and STI even sells one. "Drop in" triggers have shoes that are smaller than the channel in most 1911s so they usually require less fitting than an oversized "match" trigger. The downside is that you will likely have a trigger that fits loosely in the frame and your trigger pull won't feel as nice as it would with a trigger that has been fit to your frame.

The STI polymer trigger is a nice part and you will be hard pressed to improve on it unless you fit an oversized trigger to your pistol.
    Good post, Dave. What you didn't say should also be paid attention to.

Feedback Score
    On the learning the platform note, this is a great thing to stare at for a while:

http://www.stiguns.com/resources/trainingtool/

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Learn the pistol. Take it entirely apart, put it back together. Once you can do it blindfolded you can begin to understand how all the parts interact and function together. That being said. Changing out the trigger and switching to a GI recoil spring set-up are much different procedures.

I have removed all the full length guide rods in my 1911s and replaced them with a GI set up, much like I have the arched mainspring housings. Neither affects functioning, just a personal preference.

A trigger is easy to do, but if you aren't aware of certain interactions, it can affect the operation of the pistol.
    Last edited by amd5007; 04-04-12 at 09:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!