Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Feedback Score
    Not to shill TOO badly here, but our our 255 and 325 Universal Wire Loops are ideal for the sling loops on the SCAR.

http://www.blueforcegear.com/pushbutton_uwl/

Stephen

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    Not to shill TOO badly here, but our our 255 and 325 Universal Wire Loops are ideal for the sling loops on the SCAR.

Stephen
    I use that in the rear with one of your slings and it works great. Use the qd on the pws rail extension for the front.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the VCAS on my 17 now, and I wondered where it's been all my life. I have the rear attached to the buttstock, though, not to the receiver loop, and I put a rail-mount sling loop on the left rail.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post

Stephen
    I run those on my AK's and they ARE great. Once I get my 17 dialed in those are what I will be using. Good product from a great company.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A few observations:

1) The ricoprocating charging handle is GREAT! It's far enough forward I can see it in my peripheral vision. If I have a stoppage I glance down to see where the CH is. If it's forward, I've probably got a FTFire. If it's all the way back, my mag is most likely empty. If the CH has stopped in some weird position halfway along, I probably have a FTFeed.
    2) The CH is a much easier target for my left hand to hit after changing a mag on a open bolt.
    3) The bolt is very easy to lock open one handed, just pull back on the CH with your palm and press the bolt catch with your thumb. All the bits are in easy reach. (As long as you're right handed.)

H

Feedback Score
    I've had my SCAR for well over a year now, but only in the last couple of months have I finally got it set up in a manner that works effectively for me. Keep in mind that I'm just a regular guy who takes classes and has the opportunity to shoot on a fairly regular basis, mostly with home defense in mind.

My mistake was in trying to set up my SCAR like my ARs, most of which have long handguards (railed or otherwise). I wanted a longer rail out front on the SCAR as well, so I ended up trying both the PWS and Branham offerings. I found that these rail extensions made the SCAR too muzzle heavy for my liking; the SCAR lost its lightweight handiness which had so impressed me when I'd first bought it. Once I returned the SCAR to its stock configuration, I was pleased, and I was still able to mount my accessories to my liking.

You can see from the picture the accessories I run (light, sling, vgrip, RDS) - simple and effective for my purposes. I did swap the stock iron sights with Troy Micro Sights, as I prefer their height on the SCAR. I also run the RDS (Aimpoint Comp M3) in a Larue mount shorter than I would normally use on an AR. On the SCAR, for me, the shorter iron sights and RDS work well.

Here's my main tip - I carry on the SCAR spares of the several small parts most likely to fail, including a complete bolt, a firing pin, a bolt cam pin, a firing pin retaining pin (with O-ring), and a piston assembly (with gas rings). These parts are sealed individually in small Food Saver pouches with a bit of oil. Some are stored in the Magpul MIAD grip; some are stored in the buttstock. For those interested, you can carry a spare firing pin in the space within the adjustable cheek riser.

Last edited by BJV; 09-22-12 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    I added the 308 magpuls to my mags as described in the OP. The hair dryer makes the job easier, but you need a really hot one to do it right. If you have access to a heat gun, that would be ideal. The mags bounce now when I drop them from the gun. A vast improvement over worrying whether the mag will shit its guts all over the floor when I reload.

Feedback Score
    Just got my scar 17 a few months ago. I was wondering what everyone's opinions is on the buttstock. I keep thinking I will get use to it but I don't. I'm an AR guy. Is here any great option to switch it out with an at style buttstock?
    Last edited by omface@yahoo.com; 08-10-13 at 12:50. Reason: Re read post

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Vltor makes a stock adapter that will let you use the AR stock of your choice. You will however lose the side folding ability.

On a semi related note, I noticed that while my 17 stock rattles like a box of Legos, the one on my more recent manufacture black 16 locks up solidly with no rattle. Kinda cool.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Scar 17

Any have or heard of any issues with the Scar 17 recoil being to much for an eotech xps 3 and dbal i2 laser?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast