Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

SCAR Spare parts...

...I've been asked a number of times on several forums about spare parts for the FN SCAR 16/17. Namely where I get them and what to I keep on hand as a SCAR owner.

First, where to get parts. While the conventional word on the internet is that parts are impossible to get, there are multiple sources. The most obvious is to call FN directly, which I have heard of people doing with some success. There are other vendors as well - the three I have used multiple times with success are Midwest Gun Works, Stryker Enterprises, and Hi-Desert dog. Each place has goods / others when it comes to buying FN SCAR parts.

- MGW has a great online real time inventory but seems to have a minimum part cost of $5, even for super small parts, pins, and springs. But shipping is fast, they have loads of stuff, and if it's out of stock you can sign up for email notification. They also have an online schematic for the SCAR so you can get an idea of what parts are called and what you need.

- Stryker Enterprises is a vendor at FN Forum and is often able to acquire interesting FN SCAR parts such as operator tool kits, upgraded lower rail, etc. They also make a replacement charging handle called the "EACH", which I like a lot. Downside is all ordering has to be done via email or PM, and for someone who isn't knowledgable about what parts are in a SCAR, or what they are called, this can be a barrier to getting what you want. I'm told they are working on a website, so hopefully that will improve.

- Hi-Desert Dog does a lot of custom work and threading on all sorts of weapons, the SCAR included. They also make some replacement parts, barrels, conversion, etc - lots of which has a wide variety of acceptance in the shooting community. Regardless, they stock a good amount of SCAR parts and while not super fast in shipping, they do have more realistic prices for some of the really small parts, pins, and springs for the SCAR. While it may sound trivial between paying $5 from MGW and $2.99 from HDD for a part, when you get serious about parts and add that up over 10, 15, 20+ little pieces it adds up.

---- Please note I'm not affiliated with the above mentioned vendors, only that is where I've purchased parts for my SCARs, YMMV----

Ok, now what to keep on hand. Well, that depends. As a firm believer in the SCAR rifles, I want to have every possible part on hand in case it should break in 1, 5, or 20+ years. So for me, it's easier to tell you what I DON'T have. I don't have a spare upper, BCG, barrel assembly, lower, or sights - although I have stripped lowers on order and plan to get barrels eventually.

So yes, I have at least one each of the little random screws, pins, parts, springs, plastic thingys, etc. 1 spare stock, multiple spare firing pins, gas pistons, rings, trigger components (helps when you get the SUPER SCAR trigger, your original is a nice spare), etc, etc. It adds up but if you do a little over time, every month or every 3-6 months, whatever works, eventually you get a decent amount. I store the parts in this dual level Plano case.

Now maybe you say hey Rhino, that's cool but I don't want to get all that stuff - however what would be your "must haves?" for parts? Ok.

- Complete Bolt
    - Bolt cam pin
    - Firing Pin
    - Firing Pin retaining pin & O-ring
    - Gas Piston
    - Gas regulator
    - Charging handle
    - Trigger return spring
    - Hammer spring
    - Sear spring

Now all of those parts aren't one likely to break, as the SCAR (like most modern firearms) is extremely durable. However, those parts (aside from the spring mentioned) are typically removed for cleaning and when you think of cleaning at the range, in the field, etc, they could easily be lost and render the weapon useless. In fact, now that I have the VLTOR stocks on both my SCARs, all those parts easily fit in the buttstock. My 17 is set up similar with spares but with different optics batteries.

It can also be noted that instead of getting a full bolt and complete gas piston, why not just get the extractor, ejector, and replacement gas ring components? Well in short I have those as well, however I feel that it's better to have a complete bolt to out if should I experience an extractor problem, etc. It gets me back shooting and I can deal with the repair when in a more suitable location. It should also be noted that the SCAR bolt is more involved to take apart and reassemble than a standard AR bolt. I haven't taken mine apart yet but from what I've gleaned, it's not an easy process and not one that I want to be doing anywhere but my home or another suitable maintenance location.

Now you'll note that the trigger, hammer, and sear springs aren't quick repair items, but I have them on hand. I included these because they are relatively easy to replace and given time and tools, something I could do in the field if I had to. They're small, cheap, and simple piece of mind to have with the weapon

Lastly, I'm not a uber high speed .mil / .leo type, just a guy who like shooting with the SCAR. My methodology above is my own and I don't pretend that its perfect, so while I put this out to answer some questions, I welcome any constructive feedback anyone might have.

ETA - another good part to have is a return spring assembly or the pieces to make it. As it's a large part it won't fit in the rifle as a spare, but I would also consider this a good spare to have - at a minimum a replacement spring.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 12-21-13 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    Excellent post, Rhino.

Your minimum spare parts list makes a lot of sense - even if you have the Geissele Trigger installed. While the OEM sear spring is surplus at this point, it could easily be lost if the original HTS parts needed to be put back in service.

Hopefully someone will offer your suggested parts as a kit at some point. My only "spare" for the SCAR-17 right now is a FAL.

Now maybe you say hey Rhino, that's cool but I don't want to get all that stuff - however what would be your "must haves?" for parts? Ok.

- Complete Bolt
    - Bolt cam pin
    - Firing Pin
    - Firing Pin retaining pin & O-ring
    - Gas Piston
    - Gas regulator
    - Charging handle
    - Trigger return spring
    - Hammer spring
    - Sear spring

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    ...I welcome any constructive feedback anyone might have.
    Rhino, I would say I agree with you 100% and have done much the same as you regarding spare parts for my 16s. Great post.

As you can see, I also favor the Vltor stock replacement. Not only does it provide great storage, but it also includes a built-in QD socket. On a similar note, I'm trying out the GG&G Rear QD. It's not an ideal solution in my mind, but it was available. Fortunately, IWC and others are working on other designs that won't require removal of receiver screws.
    Last edited by BJV; 12-21-13 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the write up Rhino! I really need to get some replacement parts for the 16 and 17, now I have a better idea of where I need to start. Of course having more than one of each May be good too!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hey guys, anyone have a recommended 'smith that can do a reliable trigger job? My old stand by, Williams Trigger Specialties, isn't doing SCARs and I don't want to go to Bill Springfield. Geisselle is the top of the heap but it's a lot of scratch and I don't need something THAT nice. I just need someone to clean up the trigger and take that one "piece of grit" out of the first half of the travel. Any recommendations appreciated.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you look around Geissele Super SCAR triggers can be found for sub $300. I know its a lot of money but I'm not interested in budget triggers on a quality rifle. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    On my SCAR 17S there is a sharp spot on the bolt catch that when pushing the bottom of the bolt catch to lock back the bolt has dug into the left bottom inner section of the upper receiver. I didn't notice it until it had already dug an ugly little notch through the anodizing but before you start manhandling your 17S you might want to give it a look and make sure that little section that contacts the bottom of your upper receiver is smooth and free of casting flaws and sharp edges. It's at least 1/64th of an inch deep and would have gone deeper if I'd kept doing drills that way without noticing it.

I will probably use a small dremel sanding drum to smooth that sharp casting booger off of the bolt catch even though the damage is already done.

Pardon the crappy phone pics:

Last edited by Labayu; 02-16-14 at 01:33. Reason: Pics Added

Feedback Score
    Only had her a month, best advice is buy one and treat her right. I've found alot of useful info at the FN Forum, if you own one I suggest checking out the site. - http://fnforum.net/

20140212_123725.jpg

Feedback Score
    Not an attachment, but I find it MUCH easier and safer for the hand if you run the CH on the right, AND CHARGE IT WITH YOUR LEFT HAND BY GOING UNDER OR OVER THE RIFLE. Works amazingly, like an AK.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCat View Post
    Not an attachment, but I find it MUCH easier and safer for the hand if you run the CH on the right, AND CHARGE IT WITH YOUR LEFT HAND BY GOING UNDER OR OVER THE RIFLE. Works amazingly, like an AK.
    Have you had to clear a double feed or other malfunction in this manner yet?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast