Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    I may just avoid them in the scar heavy for now. Even if the screws don't migrate, I've also heard of receivers cracking. There is obviously something going on with the heavier bolt carrier group and the 308 round in the scar system with an aluminum buttstock plate that is causing undue stress on parts. Heck who knows what it may do to the even more expensive optic sitting on top of it.
    99.9% don't have problems. If anything tune the gas down a little bit with a smaller gas jet. Should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat with you. I too have a scar heavy and wanted a KDG stock.

After reading a number of metal hinge plate threads I've decided to pass on any stock with a metal hinge.

I bought this gun based on its reliability and durability. I have no interest in mods that degrade either of those two things even a minuscule amount.

Personally I think the best policy is to own a second fn stock to have on hand if the original breaks in anyway. I also never open the stock with out fully depressing the button when locking it in place.

It's a great gun, the hinge plate is its weak point. Putting on an aluminum one actually causes worse problems long run. I'm in no way trying to jack up my receiver. I'd rather the stock be sacrificial.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I'm in the same boat with you. I too have a scar heavy and wanted a KDG stock.

After reading a number of metal hinge plate threads I've decided to pass on any stock with a metal hinge.

I bought this gun based on its reliability and durability. I have no interest in mods that degrade either of those two things even a minuscule amount.

Personally I think the best policy is to own a second fn stock to have on hand if the original breaks in anyway. I also never open the stock with out fully depressing the button when locking it in place.

It's a great gun, the hinge plate is its weak point. Putting on an aluminum one actually causes worse problems long run. I'm in no way trying to jack up my receiver. I'd rather the stock be sacrificial.
    If they would put some sort of insert or shock buffering or better yet make them out of plastic like the OEM stock this would be a non-issue.

Reminds me of that company that made alloy Glock lowers(CCFA?) only to find that Glocks will beat themselves to death with anything other than a polymer frame. People who built some incredible Glocks on those alloy lowers had to use a special frame buffer that would get chewed up in a couple thousand rounds to make them reliable.

I am just waiting for MGW to get some more SCAR stock assemblies in house so I can have a spare. Not super worried about it but I have gotten so spoiled playing Barbie Dressup with my ARs with new stocks, rails, furniture being stuck with the world's ugliest stock on my SCAR took some getting used to.

What didn't take getting used to was a 308 gas gun that didn't need to be babied like my AR10s. I have never had a 308 pattern AR run right from my original SR25 with the white polymer buffer to my last Noveske/Fulton/Etc build. My SCAR has 5,000rds down the pipe without a single malfunction and the maintenance is a breeze! I'll gladly handle the stock hinge thing if it comes up as a tradeoff.

Feedback Score
    Is there a preference as to which extended rail is best ? Is there a model currently being used in military applications?

Are the SCAR stocks available for sale and what price range?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan2323 View Post
    Is there a preference as to which extended rail is best ? Is there a model currently being used in military applications?

I know several team guys bought Handl AFR's but they were 3-4 at a time.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan2323 View Post

We have PWS on ours.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just bought a used SCAR 17 with Stryker industries sr25 pattern lower and VLTOR stock adapter. Will I run into the issue with screws/backing out, etc...people are mentioning earlier in the thread when using a metal hinge?
    Any other tips/what to look for?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    andy,

The Vltor sotck adaptor is the best of the solid hinge plates. Handl Defense made a solid hinge plate that allowed for the OEM boot and a yet to be release stock. After a discussion with the guys in Herstal it was discontinued. The polymer hinge acts in a way to reduce pressure to the upper receiver. Those two screws on each side are the canaries in the coal mine. Now because of the alloy lower there will be some added rigidity and a bit of pressure taken off of those screws in the long axis. A good explanation is here https://www.handldefense.com/2017/04...-for-the-scar/ the striker lower was directly rev-engineered from the handl and will have some but not all of the same properties.

OEM stocks and hinges are not the prettiest but they are the most effective. FN says they are coming out with a set of options for the back end of the SCAR ... I would wait to see what they offer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So I have a Silencer now for my SCAR17s, its a AAC SDN-6. I learned a bit about the gas system setting and running it supressed.

Firstly, it all around seems really over gassed. For no gas tube blasting gas back it sure is super gassy, more so than any of my ARs.

This leads to the gas settings, they are meant to be "normal" and "Suppressed", by all means it seems more like "Adverse" and "Normal". Previously I had never played with the gas setting, because I wasn't shooting suppressed, so left it in "normal". Well now I always leave it in "Suppressed" when shooting unsuppressed. At this point to me I treat the gas settings as "adverse" and "Normal". Always shooting it in the suppressed setting makes it much smoother and it has never had any issue. In the normal setting its got quite some kick to it. This leaves me shooting it in the same setting with or with out the silencer.

So, my conclusion? this gun from the factory kind of sucks suppressed. The suppressed setting is still over gassed for a silencer. The gas valve for me has been more Adverse and Normal, not Normal and Suppressed as FN states.

I use Prvi M80 ball ammo. I get 2 moa all day easy.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Yeah SCAR's suck suppressed from the factory. Get some smaller gas jets from Parker Mountain, it completely changes the experience

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    So I have a Silencer now for my SCAR17s, its a AAC SDN-6. I learned a bit about the gas system setting and running it supressed.

Firstly, it all around seems really over gassed. For no gas tube blasting gas back it sure is super gassy, more so than any of my ARs.

This leads to the gas settings, they are meant to be "normal" and "Suppressed", by all means it seems more like "Adverse" and "Normal". Previously I had never played with the gas setting, because I wasn't shooting suppressed, so left it in "normal". Well now I always leave it in "Suppressed" when shooting unsuppressed. At this point to me I treat the gas settings as "adverse" and "Normal". Always shooting it in the suppressed setting makes it much smoother and it has never had any issue. In the normal setting its got quite some kick to it. This leaves me shooting it in the same setting with or with out the silencer.

So, my conclusion? this gun from the factory kind of sucks suppressed. The suppressed setting is still over gassed for a silencer. The gas valve for me has been more Adverse and Normal, not Normal and Suppressed as FN states.

I use Prvi M80 ball ammo. I get 2 moa all day easy.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast