Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy??? Charter Arms Bulldog .44

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Always wanted one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I traded a Ruger .30 carbine Blackhawk for 3" Bulldog some 20 years ago. Still have it and use it as a woods roaming gun. First round or two in the cylinder is shotshells (have killed few copperheads) and rest 240 gr SWCs (there's also alligators, black bears and boars in the swamps here). Just shoot mine again last week and still holding up.

I think it is best as a woods gun as recoil is stout. My DIL has a new CA Pink Lady in .38 SPL that hasn't had any issues. I also carry a Smith 442 in the pocket for SD use.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html Looks like they're on sale through saturday, if the OP is still interested!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spotch View Post
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html Looks like they're on sale through saturday, if the OP is still interested!
    Thanks for the head's up. Nice price. Though after some thought, I think I'd be better served buying $300 of ammo for my 9mm!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Thanks for the head's up. Nice price. Though after some thought, I think I'd be better served buying $300 of ammo for my 9mm!

LOL! I hear that.

Feedback Score
    I've owned a couple Charter Arms .44's, going back 30+ years. The older ones were serviceable guns, as long as you accept them for what they are. For quite a few years, the word was that the quality had slipped. I just got one of the new production ones, and it looks like they have returned to making a decent gun. Looking forward to getting it to the range in the next couple weeks.

Feedback Score

more Bulldog background

I bought my first Bulldog after talking to a colleague who had two and was satisfied; older guns as Jake's Dad mentioned. The "Charco" vintage Bulldog I bought new in about 1993 had QC issues. I owned it for about 50 rounds and it went away in a trade. This vintage revolver had a fixed barrel in a shroud. The shroud on mine began to unscrew under recoil forces of factory ammo in the first ten rounds. Not.
    My current Bulldog is a recent build and is fine (as detailed above). If there's a lesson, it seems to be buy a classic, older one or a contemporary one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iveschrhis View Post
    I bought my first Bulldog after talking to a colleague who had two and was satisfied; older guns as Jake's Dad mentioned. The "Charco" vintage Bulldog I bought new in about 1993 had QC issues. I owned it for about 50 rounds and it went away in a trade. This vintage revolver had a fixed barrel in a shroud. The shroud on mine began to unscrew under recoil forces of factory ammo in the first ten rounds. Not.
    My current Bulldog is a recent build and is fine (as detailed above). If there's a lesson, it seems to be buy a classic, older one or a contemporary one.

Yeah, it's been a while since I looked up their warranty on their website but IIRC they only cover newer-ish guns with their lifetime warranty. I always wondered if that was because the older (but not super old) guns had too many problems or what?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Looking forward to getting it to the range in the next couple weeks.
    Let us know how it turns out--I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have owned three different Charters over the years, I'll pass on ever doing so again.

One, a .38 snub, I wrecked when it was brand new by firing exactly 47 rounds of 125gr Federal JHP through it.

Service life on a handgun, other than a Liberator, should be more than 47 rounds. Just my wild ass opinion.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast