Thread: Tier One Carbine Instructors Course

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Tier One Carbine Instructors Course

Gentlmen,

Who in your opinion, who puts on the Very Best, Carbine Instructors Course???
    Is it Blackwater or someone else??? Thank you all for your help.

All the best

Jimmy Ward

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Phil Hayes.

I hear great things about Larry Vickers, but I haven't been in one of his classes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I haven't been there yet, but Paul Howe's instuctor course has been highly recommended to me.

Larry Vickers has been also.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Hmm, by definition of "tier 1" then the instructor MUST have come from a tier one group (like Delta).

This leaves VERY few instructors (like Vickers).

C4

Feedback Score
    I don't think that LAV does an "Instructor" course, only an operator's class. I am sponsoring him in a couple of weeks here in North TX and am really looking forward to it. I think Larry is probably as good as it gets instructor wise these days.

Paul Howe's Carbine Instructor course comes highly recommended and his credentials are excellent. He's also providing on site housing for students that will save you some coins for the class. His model of the students teaching an actual carbine operator course the last two days of class is a plus IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Oops! I jumped the gun. I missed the "instructor" part of your request. Sorry!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The carbine instructor's course at BW isn't much different than the operator's course. They are both good courses for learning how to run a carbine.

Feedback Score
    Granted, my 'service' time now has more L/E than it has has Mil time, but we are talking about getting someone into a program so that they began teaching the weapon system to others, right?

Before getting to that point, the shooter should have a good grasp on using the weapon(s) they'll be teaching. While I frequently moan about California POST, they are now mandating instructor development courses - regardless of the subject matter.

In addition to other instructor course, my department has hosted / sponsored three patrol rifle or patrol carbine instructor courses over the years. We've also hosted a carbine end user class for our firearms instructors, when the outside instructor was not willing to run an instructor course. We've been doing one instructor update class a year since 2003.

The first rifle instructor course came out of the NRA LEAD folks. Even though by all accounts that I've heard, we were at least a good ten years behind other entities in the industry, we were 4 + years ahead on a lot of folks in getting rifles / carbines on patrol.
    The course was by taught by Clive ????, a ret'd Colour Sgt from Her Majesty’s Royal Marines. My recollection is that course was quite focused on traditional marksmanship, but not at all on low light, movement or multiple bad guys. Some interesting stories about things the Brits had had to do to bad guys in various places. It was a starting point.

Several of us then had a L/E carbine instructor from Bill Jeans, while he was the operations manager at Gunsite. Bill ensures you know the material and can pass it on correctly to other officers. He addresses instructor development as much as he addresses when to depress the selector.
    We've also hosted Awerbuck for sub-gun and handgun instructor. Louis' is phenominal at the diagnostic side as well as getting you to turn your brain on & off as needed rather than over-thinking problems.
    The dept brought in Scott Reitz (LAPD-Metro D Plt and ITTS) for both LE carbine and shotgun instructor courses. Scott will not only teach one to run the carbine (or pistol or scattergun) but he'll do it within the perameters of what law enforcement has to with. Scott, like Bill Jeans, obviously comes from an L/E background which means that certain techniques may not be covered or they’ll be covered in a fairly narrow context.

So, those are the guys I can comment on for instructor training.

If we are back to just discussing instructors from military entity, then I think there are only four (five?) names on the list. I could find websites for four of them. On those four, only two list instructor courses and only one of those had instructor courses for various platforms.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!