Thread: AAR: Redback One 2 Day Basic Carbine, 3/31-4/1, 2012 - Wallingford, CT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Jason likes:

Milspec (TDP compliant) carbine brands

Aimpoints

2 Point Adjustable Slings

200 meter zero

Great AAR, thanks for posting. I'm currently in the process of signing up to take a carbine class from Mr. Falla later this year and this helps greatly. I guess that I'll have to make sure that my PT is up to par . I'm assuming that you sighted in at 50m for a rough 200m zero, but did you get to actually zero at 200m? What was the farthest distance that you shot? I usually zero at 100yards and doubt I'll be able to find a 200m or yard range to use for zeroing before the class. Also are there any DVD's for redback's carbine method I can watch pre class?
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

We were limited to 50 yards (range constraint).

I'm not aware of any DVD's but Jason has published his Carbine Standards on RB1's facebook page.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 04-06-12 at 01:38.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    Great write up thanks for the info, I can't wait to take his course in Sept.

Chris

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm surprised to see transitioning to pistol in a basic course. Is this a new variation on Jason's basic carbine course for this year? Great write up and great pictures!
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    As others have mentioned, great write up. Thank you for taking the time to prepare a detailed AAR with pictures. I am signed up for their 2-day basic carbine class in AK later this fall. Looks like I'll be seeing a couple of the previous posters there.

Good note on the physical activity. I am not in shape, but I am also not completely out of shape. Looks like I'll have to put in more time on that regard in preparation for the class. That's probably a good idea for me anyways. Haha.

I have a few carbine and gear choices that I am hoping to shake out before the class. Any tips on the minimum and ideal number of carbine mags to have on your person at any given time? Right now, I'm am thinking two pistol mags and anywhere from 2-4 rifle mags on my belt.

Thanks again for the excellent write up. Good stuff and I can't wait to get my chance to experience it myself.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drck1000 View Post
    As others have mentioned, great write up. Thank you for taking the time to prepare a detailed AAR with pictures. I am signed up for their 2-day basic carbine class in AK later this fall. Looks like I'll be seeing a couple of the previous posters there.

Good note on the physical activity. I am not in shape, but I am also not completely out of shape. Looks like I'll have to put in more time on that regard in preparation for the class. That's probably a good idea for me anyways. Haha.

I have a few carbine and gear choices that I am hoping to shake out before the class. Any tips on the minimum and ideal number of carbine mags to have on your person at any given time? Right now, I'm am thinking two pistol mags and anywhere from 2-4 rifle mags on my belt.

Thanks again for the excellent write up. Good stuff and I can't wait to get my chance to experience it myself.
    see my AAR from p-f.com. 2-4 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags should be good to go .

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...Wallingford-CT
    Last edited by GrandPooba; 04-06-12 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    Great AAR and pics, thanks for posting this so quickly, straight and to the point. We're very happy to have brought RB1 training to CT again and are even happier that everyone had a great experience and benefited from this course. As always, you're a great host and we look forward to future training in CT!
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Redback One Two Day Basic Carbine

March 31 and April 1, 2012

Blue Trail Range – Wallingford, CT

Participants: 12

Two words that best describe this class: “Holy Shit.”

Another student said: “This class was pretty intense I think for a basic level class…”

I really struggle to write a halfway decent AAR for Jason’s classes.

The problem with doing so is that such an AAR would cover several pages, easily. Jason presents a staggering amount of material in a short period of time, and I hate to say it - because sometimes this expression is overused - but I felt like I was drinking from a fire hose again. This class had the informational density of a neutron star.

So, I’ll strive to be brief and let some of the class pictures do the talking. What I liked about this class is that it started from the bottoms up – it assumed little knowledge on the part of the student and included a good deal of classroom time. On TD1, we were in the classroom from 0830 to about 1400. That’s unusual for just about any shooting class. Secondly, Jason really hammered repetition to build muscle memory, even in the classroom sessions. Thirdly, Jason conducted the class in a military manner, imbuing the drills with a sense of urgency – which ensured that the students hustled preparing for what could be a life or death situation.

TD1 was spent mostly in the classroom, where Jason covered safety, hands-on handling and presentation of the carbine, characteristics and capabilities of the milspec AR15/M4, detail stripping, maintenance, cleaning and lubrication pointers, and carbine shooting fundamentals. Following this, students headed out to the range to zero the carbine from the prone at 50 yards, and basic presentation drills from alert ready and high ready at 7 yards.

TD2 was a whirlwind of activity that included some physical exertion to induce stress. The day was interspersed with plenty of dry fire drills covering weapons manipulation. Live fire included more presentations (fine-tuning the POA vs. POI), post-engagement sequence (scan and assess, systems check), transitions to pistol, reloading the carbine tactically, malfunctions (double feeds, CH impingements), power turns, shooting on the move (advancing), and shooting from cover (barricades) and some lateral bounding.

What did students get out of this class? A better appreciation of the defensive capabilities of the M4 (you can do a lot more than shoot this rifle from a bench). Secondly, under Jason’s watchful eye, the class developed some really slick weapons manipulation by the end of TD2.

Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed this class and I would take it again. I learned quite a bit, particularly in the classroom session. You’ll get a sense on the following pages that the classroom portion wasn’t just listening to a powerpoint presentation.

It was almost a year ago that Jason said to me “our basic level class is not like anyone else’s.” That piqued my curiosity, and I would agree with that statement.

Last edited by Redback One; 04-07-12 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    Jason liked incorporating pistol so that students can become familiar with transitions but we've found that it's not necessary for a basic course. So we're going to leave out pistol during basic carbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm surprised to see transitioning to pistol in a basic course. Is this a new variation on Jason's basic carbine course for this year? Great write up and great pictures!
    Last edited by Redback One; 04-07-12 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    Great review, we really appreciate the feedback, it's very informative and it's good to know there's an appreciation for the information Jason's putting out in the classroom, this goes hand in hand with shooting, you're only as good as the knowledge you possess.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPooba View Post
    see my AAR from p-f.com. 2-4 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags should be good to go .

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...Wallingford-CT

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post

I was hoping that they would come out ok, It was a new to me camera!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast