Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M16A1 for n00bs...

Feedback Score

M16A1 for n00bs...

Hi all, a couple of questions for the M4C.net intelligentsia. I recently added a SP6920 and a Spike's ST15 M4 to my group of firearms. I like both of these guns equally. They each have their own personality and characteristics that differentiate them from each other. But at the end of the day they are still identical rifles, more or less.

So what I'm thinking of buying next is an M16A1 - style rifle. I like the retro look of the old style stock and the 20" barrel. Is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there a particular manufacturer that specializes in this family of rifles? When I was buying my M4's everyone I asked said without hesitation to add the 6920 to my short list. Is there any gun like that in this particular case? Any other input or links to resources would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Johnnie F. - recovering Statist
    ----------------------------------------------
    Have you read TheTruthAboutGuns.com today?

Feedback Score
    Unless your really wanting a fixed carry handle I would recommend you just build a M16A4 clone, minus a rail.

BCM sells fantastic A4 20" uppers.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...URG-GOV-20.htm

Otherwise, I would recommend searching gunbroker for "FNMI M16 A2 upper". You will usually find a few used A2 original FN uppers. The only problem is you will not know their round count.
    Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 04-06-12 at 12:41.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    That picture is the exact gun I have in mind.

Feedback Score
    Well, it's technically a A4 because it has a detachable carry handle. And it has A2 not A1 furniture.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I like A1s and A2s. I have 7 ARs and 5 of them are 20 inch guns. The other two are a mid length and an A2 Bushmaster carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fritz View Post
    That picture is the exact gun I have in mind.
    Yea then buy a bravo company 20 inch upper, a quality bcg(theirs if they have it in stock), and put it on a lower of your choice. Just need and a2 or a1 stock(a1 is a tiny bit shorter). Really is one of the best options for a quality 20 inch upper.

I personally bought the parts for pretty much a complete 20inch bcm gun before they started selling them complete. I just replaced the m4 stock on their complete lower with an armalite a2 stock. Just did another one as well this time using a local ffl's lower but again using a complete bcm upper.
    Last edited by ccosby; 04-06-12 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I like the Colt MT6700 as well.. JMO.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    I like the Colt MT6700 as well.. JMO.. Ron
    Not a bad choice but I don't like how it doesn't have a flash hider. It also has a heavy barrel which as a personal choice I'd rather not have. Still a good rifle though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    Not a bad choice but I don't like how it doesn't have a flash hider. It also has a heavy barrel which as a personal choice I'd rather not have. Still a good rifle though.
    That's true.. It's 1:9 twist as well. Personally I like the heavy barrel's, but I rarely carry them over 20'.. That would make a difference.. The absence of the flash hider looks a little odd, but I don't really need a flash hider. It shoots well and seems to be a good rifle. I probably would have bought a BCM A4 when I bought the 6700, but couldn't find one. Good thing we can have more than one, eh! Cheers.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
    Well, it's technically a A4 because it has a detachable carry handle. And it has A2 not A1 furniture.
    Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I want people to tell me. As simple as it may be, I don''t know a lot of it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    ... Personally I like the heavy barrel's, but I rarely carry them over 20' ...
    That is one long barrel.
    Last edited by John Fritz; 04-06-12 at 23:56. Reason: Grammer clean-up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast