Thread: AAR : MDFI Fundamentals of Carbine 04/07/2012

Feedback Score

AAR : MDFI Fundamentals of Carbine 04/07/2012

AAR : Fundamentals of Carbine 04/07/2012
    Who/Where: MDFI w/ KeithD and Brad V @ Spectacle Lake Outdoor Club, Albion MI

What: Fundamentals of Carbine
    When: April 7th 2012

My Training Background:
    Poor CPL training at a LGS in Roseville, MI, MDFI's Handgun 1 & 2, MDFI YSITNG (You Suck It's Not The Gun)

Gear:
    Off the shelf Stag Model 2 Carbine, Primary Arms compact 3x optic, Crown single Pmag carrier,Magpul MIAD Grip Magpul MS3 sling w/Magpul ASAP plate.

Why:
    I bought a carbine in November 2011 from Kurt @ Centennial Arms (Karcent on MGO), I put 2-3 mags through it and realized I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I had a SKS for a few months and just plinked with it, I also have a Marlin 975 22lr that I plink with but otherwise I have no real experience with an evil black rifle.

What I expected:
    To learn how to properly zero my rifle, proper stance and trigger control as well as basic manipulation of the gun

What actually happened:
    All of the above and more! It took me the longest out of all the students to zero my rifle. Since I have a 3x optic I had trouble looking through the peep sight and still seeing the A2 style front site.
    I was fairly certain my irons where good up/down since I took it to Ron @ AAE( Blackwater NA on MGO) to go over some things with me after I purchased it, He adjusted my front site post to zero at 50 yards. So instead of removing the optic and checking the irons I went with zeroing the optic... It took longer than expected and I ended up very frustrated, Keith checked it and it was good. Operator error. Poor trigger control and nerves where my main problems.

Other notes/observations:
    We had a wide range of skill levels with students on the range, most of us where new to the platform. Everyone in the class was helpful in one way or another.

Critiques for instructors or class flow:
    None really, this was the inaugural Fundamentals of Carbine class for MDFI. I really cannot think of anything that Keith or Brad could or should have done differently. The class was fairly small, if it was larger an extra AI would be nice. There was someone who did help out, I cannot remember his name but I do not think he was there in an official capacity.

Follow up actions:
    I need to look into lightening up my rifle and, cutting down the A2 sight then extend the hand-guard/rail as I have long arms and I did have some troubles transitioning targets with the carbine length guards.
    I don't intend on using the weapon system as a major role in SD around the house, I bought it mainly as an all around small game hunting rifle, plinking and possibly getting into some gun games like 3gun or ACTS.

To other students:

Keep an open mind, listen to the instructors. You may or may not agree with what they teach. Take what works for you and add that to your “tool box” of knowledge.

Other:
    I'd like to thank Steve Fisher; Founder of Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute (MDFI) and Instructor for Magpul Dynamics (RSF on MGO) for the opportunity to take this class.
    Also Ted for sharing his Wolf Ammo and some lancer Mags, my Stag had no issues with them.
    And last but not least, Keith and Brad for putting on the class. I knew I wasn't ready for a Level 1 Carbine course and I was ecstatic then they announced this new class since I was teasing one day on MGO that someone needed to come up with a Carbine 0.5 or You suck it's not the rifle course...

_DK_

AKA Rob..

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.

Robert A. Heinlein
    Last edited by _DK_; 04-07-12 at 21:48. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    Great job today Rob. It was very impressive to see you coming in with very few rounds down range with a carbine and seeing the progress you made. Keep up the training and we look forward to seeing you in Carbine 1