Daniel Defense QD rear sling plate
    IWC 2-1 point sling thingamajig
    BCM CH
    Daniel Defense A 1.5 rear sight
    Aimpoint R-1/ shitty black rattle can on an ADM absolute cowitness mount
    PSA lower
    Daniel Defense LPK with stock trigger
    CTR

Things I'm missing: (in no particular order)

Larue index clips
    IWC/Haley Strategic Thorntail light mount
    Surefire/VTAC L4 light
    Training :gonk:
    great looking AR!!

Feedback Score

Cool build

I like the traditional look. Would definitely use frangible rounds for home defense.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blue5t1050 View Post
    I like the traditional look. Would definitely use frangible rounds for home defense.
    Yeah...right. I bet you're gonna say that you need to use frangible ammo because 223 over-penetrates...

You need to read the Terminal Ballistics Information subforum. This thread in particular: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57072

Read and learn. There is a wealth of knowledge here, no need to keep repeating old errornet and gun rag myths.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please explain to the viewing audience as to why someone would want to use a marginally effective round.

Quote Originally Posted by blue5t1050 View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Six Actual View Post

Well done. No nonsense, well thought out build.

ETA: You've probably heard this before, but feeding that thing Wolf ammo is like putting Heidi Klum in a pair of coveralls and putting a paper bag over her head...not just a bad idea but definitely not doing any favors.
    horseshit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchtrikk View Post
    Almost finished.
    Noveske N4 light middy basic upper 14.5 w/permattached Vortex
    Centurion C4 FSP cutout FF rail
    Tangodown QD stubby VFG
    Tangodown PG
    Magpul Enhanced TG
    Ares padded sling
    BCM CH
    Daniel Defense A 1.5 rear sight
    Aimpoint R-1/ shitty black rattle can on an ADM absolute cowitness mount
    PSA lower
    Daniel Defense LPK with stock trigger
    CTR

Things I'm missing: (in no particular order)

Larue index clips
    IWC/Haley Strategic Thorntail light mount
    Surefire/VTAC L4 light
    Training :gonk:
    You appear to have a pretty nice gun there, congrats.

I would like to hear your prior experience with the AR FOW as well as the logic behind your choices in parts and pieces.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I would like to hear your prior experience with the AR FOW as well as the logic behind your choices in parts and pieces.
    This.

We know why you built it.
    Why did you choose the parts you did?

As for the ammo...
    It's great that it will feed reliably with low powered steel case.
    But I suggest you get a hard zero with the ammo you choose to use in it defensively.

Read through the Terminal Ballistic subforum here:https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91
    It is a wealth of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Thanks! I'll try to give as good a description as possible. Let me know if you all have any other questions or comments. I'm here to learn

14.5 Noveske upper: My SBR is built with Noveske upper as well. I am happy with the fit, finish and function so I decided not to stray. Originally, I had a BCM 16" middy upper in my cart, but after adding the CH and BCG, I was only 100 bucks away from a complete Noveske upper anyway.

The only reason I went with 14.5 over 16 was because this upper was in stock at my local funshop. I would have rather had the 16 so I didn't have to deal with permed muzzle devices.

Midlength over carbine gas for the extended sight radius without the need for a rail mounted front sight. I new that I was going to leave the FSP at the beginning of this project.

BCM CH: I forget the nomenclature, but it's the medium latch. I run the same one on my SBR. This CH came with the upper. I want to try out the small latch. Since this will primarily be an HD rifle, It would be needed when I am sleepy and shirtless and the medium latch stabs a bit.

Centurion rail: Since I have another AR and plan to build many more, I didn't want to be married to any specific accessories designed for use with a MOE or standard hand guards. Mainly light and sling mounts. That's why the rail.

It was a toss-up between this rail and the DD FSP rail. Again, I wanted to retain the original FSP while having the maximum amount of space.

I went with the Centurion for another embarrassing reason. I do not own an upper receiver block or a bench vise. The C4 allows me to have a quality railed fore end without the use of a gunsmith or the purchase of other tools.

Tangodown VFG and PG: The PG is nice. I switched to this from the Stark grip. I wanted to be sure that it was easy for my wife to reach the trigger Although she had no issues with the Stark, it did increase the distance.

The stubby VFG I use as a place holder. I'll probably replace it with a proper reverse mounted handstop sometime in the future. I had it in a parts bin.

Magpul TG: Truth be told, 100% aesthetics. I live in Houston, Tx. Last winter, the heaviest jacket I wore was a hoodie. The ability to have gloves on is nice and will likely come in handy once I can take a few classes.

Ares padded sling
    : The Ares is the third sling I've tried. I progressed from the VTAC followed by the VCAS. I like the adjustment loop rather than the single tab on the VCAS. Also, I didn't like the cluster**** of straps and shit hanging off of the VTAC.

The DD sling plate and IWC? Options.

I never plan to run the sling in this single point config, but it's nice to have the ability to if the need should ever arise.

DD A1.5: To lessen the chance of failure, a rear sight that could nearly match the strength of the front sight was needed. I hope the DD will fit the bill. I like the simplicity of it as well.

Aimpoint and ADM mount: Absolute co-witness because it feel better/is more comfortable to me.

ADM because I liked the locking lever on the QD stubby and I frequently shoot with irons only to practice.

The R-1 was on sale at Midway a few months back. I should've grabbed more of them.

I chose this over the Eotech because it can be left on. No fumbling for switches at 4 in the morning.

PSA lower: As much as I would've liked to build this on a Noveske FFL, I couldn't pass up this one for 50USD. Budget for this build was not really a concern, but the less it costs, the more mags and ammo I can stack.

DD LPK: Pretty self explanatory. Quality LPK. I also utilized the included trigger rather than spending the extra for the Geissele SSA.

CTR stock: Comfortable, short, inexpensive, strong, light, solid lockup and QD sling mounts. What's not to like? I had the ACS for a while, but it was a bit clunky and much heavier. The CTR is just an overall better fit.

Reason for a dedicated HD AR: There have been more reported home invasions recently. One in particular where a man in San Antonio was assailed by 3 men armed with rifles(news story, no idea how bad it was or wasn't). If that were to happen, I want the highest capacity shoulder fired weapon possible. Even the odds.

HD duty was filled by my SBR for quite some time, but in the event of a shoot, I don't want to be without it while the police has it in evidence.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely rezero it with the ammo I'm using for HD.

Currently that's M855 62gr green tip IIRC.

I am open to suggestions on a better round. Planning on trying some Hornady TAP soon.

Obviously, other comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Rex
    Last edited by hatchtrikk; 04-21-12 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    GREAT response! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Well thought out and good execution. Plan on doing anything for rail panels? Check out the Surefire Z70 ladders, low profile and cheap as hell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast