Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why 300 Win Mag over 30-06?

Feedback Score
    When you get up to the heavier bullet weights, the 300 Win Mag will outrun the 30-06 by 250-300 fps for equal bbl lengths. Or add another 100-150 yards distance in comparable trajectories. Or add another 20-30 grains weight in bullets (and added sectional density/better BC) for comparable velocities. This will improve upon external ballistics (better wind bucking ability & reduced bullet drop) and terminal ballistics (on game perfromance).

Regarding OALs, they are the same. But the case length for the Win Mag is ~ .2" longer, so I would suspect that while magazine box dimensions might be the same, the Win Mag would use a different follower. Win Mag powder capacity is greater, so I would also suspect for a comparable mag box, mag capacity would be reduced a round or two in a typical BA application. This would also mean that the Win Mag uses bullets that are seated deeper to come in at the same cartridge OAL.

Not sure if your curiosity is for big game hunting or shooting long range match bullets. But the Win Mag will perform better, but the greater recoil and shorter barrel life is the price you pay for the added performance.

Feedback Score
    .308 is ubiquitous in military and LE circles, shorter bolt action throw and also available in multiple modern combat proven semi-auto designs. Starts running out of steam around 180 gr bullet weights. Great barrel life. Can work on any game in the lower 48 states. Lots of factory long range/match loads available.

.30-06 is available EVERYWHERE in CONUS...walk into Billy Joe Bob's Bait and Tackle and they'll have a box of .30-06. Can push bullets up to 200 gr or so. Very good barrel life. Can take any North American game except the largest bears. Hot loaded can approach lower .300 Win Mag levels. While lots of hunting loads are available, few factory long range/match loads are now made.

.300 Win Mag using a 220 gr Match bullet can reach out beyond 1200 yds using the existing Mk13 and re-built M24's making it a quick long range fix, but it is eclipsed by the .338 Lap Mag for longer ranges. .300 Win Mag has stout recoil and shot barrel life. Overkill for most CONUS game.

Feedback Score
    Most game shot with a .300 or any other magnum where I'm at is generally at a distance and of a size that a .30-30 lever gun is more then adequate. I decided to sell my .300 Win Mag because there's no place nearby where a .308 or a .260 Remington/6.5 Creedmoor can't do what I need them to do with less recoil, weight and cost.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    .308 is ubiquitous in military and LE circles, shorter bolt action throw and also available in multiple modern combat proven semi-auto designs. Starts running out of steam around 180 gr bullet weights. Great barrel life. Can work on any game in the lower 48 states. Lots of factory long range/match loads available.

.30-06 is available EVERYWHERE in CONUS...walk into Billy Joe Bob's Bait and Tackle and they'll have a box of .30-06. Can push bullets up to 200 gr or so. Very good barrel life. Can take any North American game except the largest bears. Hot loaded can approach lower .300 Win Mag levels. While lots of hunting loads are available, few factory long range/match loads are now made.

.300 Win Mag using a 220 gr Match bullet can reach out beyond 1200 yds using the existing Mk13 and re-built M24's making it a quick long range fix, but it is eclipsed by the .338 Lap Mag for longer ranges. .300 Win Mag has stout recoil and shot barrel life. Overkill for most CONUS game.
    thanks for the explanation Doc, its much appreciated.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The intention is to change to 338 LM in the future.
    Is that real of just conjecture? I'd love to see it happen.

Feedback Score
    The intention is real, date of change is conjeture and subject to maaany things...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    From personal communication with one of the SOTIC instructors that started the M24 program and wrote the specs, the original intention of the long action was to eventually change to 300 WM.

And now they are doing just that...

The 300 WM has a short barrel life, but has a supersonic range of 1250+ m with the new MK 248 MOD 1 load.

The intention is to change to 338 LM in the future.
    Bringing up an old post but the 338 Lapua is a really nice round to shoot all things equal to the rifle shooting a 300 mag.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Bringing up an old post but the 338 Lapua is a really nice round to shoot all things equal to the rifle shooting a 300 mag.
    For targets yes until cost comes into the equation, for game no the 338 will have more retained energy.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have no problems at all taking my 30-06 to a 1000. It performs just fine at that distance. I would take it out further, but I don't have a place to go.

Using 175 gr SMK @ 2921 fps works well.
    Last edited by LOBO; 12-18-12 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    For targets yes until cost comes into the equation, for game no the 338 will have more retained energy.
    I think barrel life would equal out the difference in price. My dad bought a 300 Weatherby 300 mag in 1961. I hate any 300 mag!!!.
    Last edited by SteveS; 12-20-12 at 16:02.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast