Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade SOCP Dagger Review

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for the review I have been thinking about one of these for awhile. Do you have any pictures of it mounted on a molle vest?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nice review thanks for posting.

I have considered this blade just never pulled the trigger. Knives that require digit insertion have always put me off.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning Spartan Blades with this knife. The Benchmade is a lower cost version of the CQB tool from Spartan, who designed the knife with Mr. Thompson. They manufactured them for the SOCP program for years before Benchmade, and are still available from if that version appeals to you. All the Spartan knives are handmade outside of Fort Bragg by retired Special Forces veterans to boot, not made offshore.

Not saying the Benchmade isn't nice...it is...and the sheath is awesome. Just throwing it out there if you want to support some good people .
    Thank you for the education.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought the kit that has the knife, trainer, and two sheaths. I tried for days to find a way to carry it and couldn't come up with one. I understand that I'm not the target market, but had hoped it would work out for me. I don't fault the knife, or design, in any way but simply offer this in case there are any others looking to use it as a concealed carry knife. That's what I wanted and couldn't find a way to carry it. I tried appendix on both sides, pointing both directions, and couldn't get anything to work.

If anyone else is carrying it concealed I'd like to hear how. I like the design of the knife, but as we all know the best knife is the one you have on you and I couldn't figure out an acceptable way to have this on me.

Thanks for any help.

ETA:
    In fact, now that I look at the OP more closely, is this basically just an "unboxing" post? I'd like to see more like how you carry it how it works out in a training situation, etc.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-12-12 at 09:03.

Feedback Score
    Glad everyone enjoyed the Review!

I wanted to clarify a few questions that have been asked.

Yes I was sent this knife by benchmade for the purpose of reviewing and I stand by my review, this is a very nice set-up. I will try and remember to add some pictures of this knife in my belt and vest, it fits perfectly.

here is a random picture I pulled off another site to give an idea.

I am also currently carrying the SOCP dagger inside my waistband and it is a great for CC this way.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Congratulations on getting a free knife from Benchmade in exchange for posting a few pictures and short write up

I think you'll find your experiences will match those of Rob_S, blade was designed for overt carry on plate carriers with minimal footprint.

For concealed carry the blade is too long and the sheath will dig in to you in just about every position but standing.

As others have noted, the pull ring works well if trying to clear from a plate carrier but the leverage that it exerts can potentially injure the finger that's through the ring.

The thin handle and overall blade design also makes it difficult to have anything other than a reverse grip.

For anyone considering this blade, it requires a bit more training to use than a regular fixed blade so not having the trainer version is an invitation to cutting yourself if you attempt to practice with the live blade instead.

FYI- I have the Spartan Blades CQB Tool that preceded the Benchmade version which I needed to familiarize myself with due to a contract I was on.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeipersForkFirearms View Post
    Glad everyone enjoyed the Review!

I wanted to clarify a few questions that have been asked.

Yes I was sent this knife by benchmade for the purpose of reviewing and I stand by my review, this is a very nice set-up. I will try and remember to add some pictures of this knife in my belt and vest, it fits perfectly.

here is a random picture I pulled off another site to give an idea.

I am also currently carrying the SOCP dagger inside my waistband and it is a great for CC this way.
    Where are you carrying this IWB? Looks like it would be a bitch to find a sweet spot due to so much of the blade being below the waist line...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Yep, I bet he did. That doesn't mean it's a better or worse knife, just that he makes money off of it. FWIW, the Benchmade sheath is more useful, and could be considered a better value considering the limited utility of a knife this specialized. I just don't want the Benchmade to get any credit for design as I had one of these on my chest 2 years before Benchmade churned out the first one.

US Special Forces covers just that, Special Forces. SOCP is the official program currently being taught to Special Forces soldiers, but is alsp used in other Special Operations units in the Army and other branches.
    Why wouldn't he make money off of it? I'd be embarrassed for Benchmade if they took credit for this design.

My only point about the "SF" marketing attachment is that it is so overused that whenever I hear someone saying "SF/SEAL uses this!" it's enough reason for me to walk away from it.

I spent a couple of days with Mr. Thompson and some of his instructors last year, they're good martial artists and have got skills when it comes to grappling/MMA but I'm sure they'd be the first to tell you that edged weapons is not their strong suit.

I remember when the LINE system guys had some of the contracts for combatives in Fayetteville; their knifework wasn't very impressive either...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A little off topic but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere yet, benchmade socp OAL-7.25" BL-3.22" Spartan blades socp OAL-6 3/8" BL-2 1/2". So there is a slight size difference. So for those wanting this blade as a deep cover type of concealed carry fixed blade the Spartan blades version may be the answer. I prefer the look of the benchmade sheath, it looks slimer and more minimalist(maybe a bit to fancy). Although the Spartan blade model uses a better steel then benchmade(154cm for SB v.s 440 for BM) I dont see why benchmade did this as they use quit a lot of the higher quality steel such as 154cm and s30v just to name a few. The benchmade is $90 MSRP,the trainer is $60,and the combo(knife&trainer) is $130. The Spartan blades version is $160, and the trainer is $45(6061 aluminum) but it doesn't come with a sheath. I didn't see a listing for a knife and trainer combo on the website,but that doesn't mean they don't offer one. But the knife and trainer can use the same sheath. I couldn't find any info on weather or not the benchmade trainer could use the same sheath or not,but I would assume they could. Also I didn't see anything about the materials used for the trainer but again I would assume It's some kind of aluminum(likely 6061)

In the interest of full disclosure I have not used of even handled ether of these knives, this is just some genetic information I got frome the websites to help those considering ether version. Also I'm not affiliated with ether company.

I do plan on purchasing both in the near feature and will do a review after I have had some time with them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LeipersForkFirearms thanks for the review. I need to get me one of those to wear on my vest. I understand it is a get off me type weapon, nothing else.

rob s, I will take it of your hands if you don't like it, Pm for a trade or $.

RGGreen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast