Thread: SGL-2161 grip removal difficulty

Feedback Score

SGL-2161 grip removal difficulty

I just got an Arsenal SGL-2161. I personally dislike the stock plastic AK grip. I purchased a houge AK grip identical to the one I have on my WASR-10.

The problem is, I cannot get the grip screw loosened on the Arsenal! I actually bent the tip on the cheap screwdriver I was using. I'm assuming there is Loctite or something similar on the screw?

I had no issues like this when I replaced the grip on the WASR.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The screwdriver from the capsule cleaning kit should fit the grip screw exactly.

Never seen loktite on any of my Arsenal rifles. You can apply penetrating oil from the top, at the grip nut side.

H

Feedback Score
    Mine didn't come with the capsule cleaning kit. I might try using a power screwdriver.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The fitting of the bit to the screw is going to be much more important than how you're driving the bit.

H

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have replaced a dozen or so AK grips in my day, I always use a ratcheting driver with an extension and the appropriate bit. Works every time.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Like he said, use a ratcheting screwdriver.

If you havent already bought the Hogue grip, dont. I have one I'll give you for free. Its a great comfy grip but I settled on the US Palm instead
    Last edited by lloydkristmas; 04-12-12 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try a ratcheting screwdriver.

Also I appreciate the offer Lloyd, but I already have the houge in my possession.