Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAL Troubleshooting.

Feedback Score

FAL Troubleshooting.

I had a FAL Imbel that when I owned it ran quite well. I sold it at my buddies gun shop. The gun came back a month later the new owner can get it to shoot more than 1 round. My buddy is pissed at me thinking i am selling garbage in his shop. We took the gun to the range. I can get the gun to shoot one round the gun loads the next round into the chamber but you pull the trigger and it will not shoot. You can pull the trigger all the way but the firing pin is not striking the primer. Is this an adjustable gas pressure related issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Remove the bolt from the carrier and push the firing pin to see if it protrudes the proper length through the firing pin hole in the bolt face. You may have a broken firing pin.

Check your head space. Check to ensure that the shoulder block for the bolt has not been removed or tampered with.

Also check your lower parts to ensure that all of those parts are semi-auto parts. I have seen some auto parts that were substituted in semi lowers causing issues. Using well worn parts or sub-standard parts in a lower can cause this behavior as well.

Good luck with your issue. These can be frustrating.

SFC out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If the rifle is cycling but not firing you're looking at a FCG problem or broken parts, not a gas problem.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE RIFLE IS UNLOADED AND ALWAYS DRY FIRE INTO A BACKSTOP THAT WILL CONTAIN THE BULLET!

Pull the dust cover and dry fire the rifle. Holding the trigger back, cycle the action. Pull the trigger again. What happens to the hammer? Does the bolt run all the way forward under spring pressure only?

Repeat the action test several times.

If the FCG is working fine, look for broken firing pin and other stuff. Strip and clean the bolt while you have it apart to check the firing pin.

H

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the advice will be heading to the shop in a bit to check it out. Could it be the firing pin even if the first round is being fired just not the next round that goes in the chamber. I pull the charging handle back a bit and it resets the firing pin and that round fires.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like hammer follow (FCG issue). Are you sure your safety selector is on SA and not FA? Tring to shoot a Semi only FAL on the full auto setting results in a single shot.

Another source of hammer follow is trying to do your own trigger job (AMHIK) by polishing, etc. Did he mess with the trigger? If he had the trigger out he may have swapped the sear spring with the trigger return spring. The trigger return spring will be the heavier. Some FALs will work with a sear spring in both positions, depending on the HTS used.

Remove the dust cover and dry-fire the gun {unloaded} in the same manner you do a safety check after trigger work on any firearm:
    Drop the hammer and - keeping the trigger to the rear - hard cycle the bolt. See if the hammer resets and stays cocked. Same without holding trigger to rear. Test w/ safety on/off, etc. If the hammer follows (does not stay cocked), you have at least found the problem, but not the cause.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have a dead trigger after the first round, I'd say hammer following bolt... most likely due to "home gunsmith trigger job."

If the bolt is in battery, the second round is chambered, and the hammer is falling and *click* then I'd say broken firing pin.

Is it a dead trigger after the first round?

Feedback Score
    Sorry my fault with my lack of wording to the problem.

Yes it is a dead trigger after the first round is fired and the second round is in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    If you are sure the gas setting is correct, it sounds like you have a POS "made in USA" FCG. Some of these are notorious for having sear/hammer engagement issues especially if bubba got to it.

I would ditch the FCG right away since some have been known to have double fire incidents.

Replace the FCG with an OEM set and see if it solves your problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What shootist and kalashnikev said. Sounds like someone tried to "tune" the trigger of their new FAL.
    B5 Systems, Inc. Owner - I can be contacted at mark@b5systems.com

Feedback Score
    So 1st stupid question what does FCG mean? (Fire Control Group?)

So Took the cover off watched the hammer and it reset everytime I pulled the bolt back.

Took it the range retired the gas system and still the same thing but did notice that the 2nd round the primer had been hit by the firing pin but did not go off.

Tomorrow will be calling DS Arms and talking with them possibly sending them the gun to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast