Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAL Troubleshooting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nabO View Post
    Replace the FCG with an OEM set and see if it solves your problem.
    Yeahhhhh... install "OEM"/Autoparts at your own risk, 922(r) applies, blah, blah, blah...

Quote Originally Posted by 3gunshooter7681 View Post
    So Took the cover off watched the hammer and it reset everytime I pulled the bolt back.
    It's following the bolt (I think) so in the violent operation on firing, I'd say the hammer is getting away from the sear somehow that isn't being replicated by hand cycling.

Took it the range retired the gas system and still the same thing but did notice that the 2nd round the primer had been hit by the firing pin but did not go off.
    You're seeing the light strike from the inertia of the FP + the strike of the hammer following the bolt. If you do it 100x with commercial .308, I'll bet the rifle will double at least once. (don't do that)

Tomorrow will be calling DS Arms and talking with them possibly sending them the gun to fix it.
    Ohhhhhhhh... it's a DSA???

Feedback Score
    .... and still the same thing but did notice that the 2nd round the primer had been hit by the firing pin but did not go off.
    Nothing wrong on seeing a light strike on the primer of a chambered but unfired round. This is normal on a FAL and why you never finger a round into the chamber and then drop the bolt - especially with commercial .308 ammo (softer primers than military 7.62).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Yeahhhhh... install "OEM"/Autoparts at your own risk, 922(r) applies, blah, blah, blah...
    Get some US made mag followers and floor plates and you're set. The quality of OEM FCG parts is FAR superior to anything US made.

You can get an Austrian hammer, trigger and sear along with a spare gas piston for $15.

Feedback Score
    No it is not a DSA, but I do not know anyone else who works on FALs. It was imported from Pacific Armament in California but cant find info on them.

Anyone know any FAL gunsmiths in Florida?

Why would the magazine followers or the magazines be the problem?

Feedback Score
    Why would the magazine followers or the magazines be the problem?
    You have to have 7 US made parts installed to meet the 922(r) requirement. Mag followers and floor plates count towards that.

Now that you say it's not a DSA receiver, you'll have to find another way to meet the requirement. I suppose you will have to use a US made FCG now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shootist has the right of it- Double check the position of the selector switch. If it's swung past the semi position, sometimes the hammer will follow the bolt and not fire. The Imbel lower has three selector positions- S, R & A
    S= Safe
    R = Semi
    A= Full auto, which does not function without the auto sear.

The FAL gurus are over at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/ will know how to get your FAL up & running again.

Don't worry about parts count. If you swap out a US FCG for an original, you can make up for it somewhere else
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-17-12 at 14:24.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Right on going over to FALFiles.com. I suggest you find someone local to look it over before shipping it off; should that be necessary.

There are lots of knowledgeable FALers in FL - seek some help on the Files. There may be someone or a FAL builders group close by that can set you right or at least verify you have a legal rifle. And/Or how to get it in compliance.

FALs built from kits (or old thumbhole imports that were grandfathered and then later converted to standard configuration) require (generally 7 out of about 10 or 11) OEM parts to be replaced with US made parts. Otherwise you have an illegal gun.

There are some good US made HTS (hammer, trigger, sear) parts - DSA even makes a set that is fully reliable. These count as three US (not-evil) parts, btw.

Others US compliance parts are:

Furniture (3 parts) - forearm, pistol grip, and stock.

Gas Piston

Magazine parts also count, but not the spring.

Upper Receiver if US Made such as the DSA (a lower receiver would also count).

Muzzle Device (or a non threaded barrel since the evil FH would no longer exist).

Charging handle.

Barrel.

All of mine have late version FSE HTS (no longer made) and a FSE or DSA PG (pistol grip). Generally a DSA gas piston and a PWS FSC-FAL muzzle brake, along with whatever else I need to get to seven. The DSA HG (handguard) is a nice part, but I prefer OEM stocks.
    Last edited by shootist~; 04-17-12 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    I have been on FAL Files searching for information. They have a list of FAL Vendors. After being on hold 40 minutes with DSA we had a customer waiting to use his credit card to spend a bunch of money so I hung up.

I then called Arizona Expert Arms (AZEX) Spoke to a gentlemen that was very informative. The gun will be sent to Arizona in the morning. I don't have patients for it and wanna get it taken care of so I will be off my buddies shit list.

Last so called "FAL expert" that looked at my gun in Florida was supposed to have fixed it.

I also appreciate all of you guys for being very informative and helpful.
    Last edited by 3gunshooter7681; 04-17-12 at 23:57.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12