Thread: Experience w/AMI Plates or carriers

Feedback Score

Experience w/AMI Plates or carriers

Outside of the testing done by DocGKR does anyone have experience with the AMI TAC3S plates or any of the AMI carriers?

Feedback Score
    Quite a few LE agencies in this area are running AMI shields, plates, and carriers. I personally am using their lo-pro carrier and am quite pleased.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I run AMI TAC3S plates and AMI Rapid Response carrier for my active shooter vest for about a year now. The carrier IMHO isn't the same level with manufacturers like Eagle, Tactical Tailor, and others, but the plates fit perfectly and the carrier has held up very well to the abuse of being thrown around in the trunk of the patrol car and call outs. Overall, I'm very happy with AMI products and service.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. — Arthur Schopenhauer

Feedback Score
    On wednesday me and two buddies shot a AMI Tac 3S and esapi plate both with:
    1-308 Federal 165 grain trophy bonded tip
    1-308 Federal 168 grain GM SMK BTHP
    1-308 Black Hills 155 grain AMAX
    1-6.8 SPC Silver State Armory 110 grain pro hunter
    1-6.8 SPC Silver State Armory 85 Barnes TSX
    1-5.56 Federal XM193 55 grain FMJ
    1-223 Remington Express 55 grain PSP
    1-223 Federal M855 62 grain green tip
    1-5.56 Silver State Armory 70 grain Barnes TSX

Both plates stopped all but after those 9 rounds the esapi plate was crumbled up ceramic and worthless. The AMI plate was in great shape and we shot it with another 20 rounds of 223/5.56 rounds used above and it stopped all but one. The one penetration was shot through the same hole of a previous shot. We ran out of time and stopped shooting but the AMI plate could have taken alot more rounds I'm sure. We had several 2-3 round groups touching but not the same hole that didn't even penetrate.

It was all got on video and I'll post a link when the video guy gets done editing it.

On that note I run the AMI Tac 3S in my tac vest for work.
    Last edited by jadams951; 05-18-12 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    That is not atypical performance for the AMI Tac3S--one large local LE agency put over 100 rifle shots into one without a penetration; another agency hit one with .338 Lap Mag without a failure...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That is not atypical performance for the AMI Tac3S--one large local LE agency put over 100 rifle shots into one without a penetration; another agency hit one with .338 Lap Mag without a failure...
    Posts like this make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my TAC3S plates. Fortunately they've never been shot (since that would mean I was in them) but I'm confident in them if they are needed.

I use a PIG plate carrier and I am very happy with it.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer