Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK 30rd Mags the Best or Not?

cgdonley Guest

HK 30rd Mags the Best or Not?

Are these magazines really the best or is it hype?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgdonley View Post
    Are these magazines really the best or is it hype?
    They work very well in SA80A2s . They're pretty much hype in ARs.
    Magpul PMAGs if they fit your lower correctly are about the best you can do. USGI mags are still very good but I prefer them with Magpul followers.

HK mags in very fast cycling ARs will very quickly start not locking the bolt back when they run empty. I've had this occur in less than 500 rounds on 1 HK mag with my 10" LMT.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Like Robb said PMAG all the way man. You can get 2 or 3 for the price of one HK mag.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

cgdonley Guest
    Starting to get some feedback from elsewhere about these mags failing during some intensive carbine training.Is it true you can't get replacemnt springs for these either? If that's true I wouldn't own one. So MagPul's the way to go these days?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgdonley View Post
    Starting to get some feedback from elsewhere about these mags failing during some intensive carbine training.Is it true you can't get replacemnt springs for these either? If that's true I wouldn't own one. So MagPul's the way to go these days?
    HK's stance on the issue is that magazines are a disposable item so the spring is proprietary. One wears out and/or breaks you just purchase another one. Quite a feat at an average of $50.00 a pop.

As mentioned above, the PMAG is a much better value and with that value much more durable also. They are all I will purchase now. Eventhough I bought two HK mags from DSG Arms when they had them for $25.00 a piece. Still, PMAGs are the hot ticket as far as magazines go. You will not regret purchasing some, then more.

cgdonley Guest
    Thank you all. I will go ahead and pick up a few PMags now and if the election starts to go South I'll stockpile a bunch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not...
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    The irony is, that in the HK mag owners manual, it states under the trouble shooting section that the corrective action for cetain issues is to replace the spring. But, as mentioned, they dont sell the springs. I also find it just funny that a magazine has a multipage owners manual.....
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

panzerr Guest
    I used HK mags in the sandbox. They were obviously more durable than the aluminum USGI magazines, but every damn magazine we had would catch the lip of the brass while feeding/unloading the magazine. This didn't always create feeding problems while firing but it did often enough for me to ditch the HK mags and go back to USGI mags.

I've since swooped up some PMAGs and have been nothing but impressed by their smooth feeding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Same here.

I couldn't justify the weight of the HK mags. I didn't see that they were THAT good.

If you are buying these mags out of pocket then I would just upgrade good USGI mags (check the feed lips) with Magpul followers. When the springs wear out replace them with chrome silica springs or the CMMG springs. This is what I did.

Going forward, I would buy the PMags especially for civilian or LEO purposes. As a .mil guy I like to blend in so I use mags that look the same as everybody elses.

I cannot justify the cost of HK mags given that there are better choices for almost 1/3rd the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast