Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Magazine Springs

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Spare Magazine Springs

I saw a reply in my other thread about replacing old springs in magazines, and it reminded me of something I've been wanting to ask.

Does anyone buy spare magazine internals?

With AR magazine prices being as low as they are, is there any point to buying fresh springs vs just buying a new magazine altogether?

Springs wear out with use, and naturally need replacing. I can see how more expensive magazines, for certain HK rifles as an example, can make one choose to rather buy more spare springs instead of entire magazines.

Is anyone here stocking up on magazine internals alongside of stocking up on complete magazines?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have never seen a magazine spring wear out.

I have, however, seen magazine bodies dented and feed lips damaged beyond repair.

At $1.50ea, they are cheap insurance but I won't be buying any.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've seen mag bodies and feed lips ruined quite a bit but the only time I've ever seen a problem with springs is with an mp5 I shot at one point. There were 3 of us and about 8 mags. Over the course of about 700 rounds we only got 3 full mags of problem free firing. Otherwise 3-6 rounds between feed problems for every mag. The springs were too worn out to keep up with the 900 rpm. After that, the mag springs were replaced and problem free. This particular mp5 had about 750k - million rounds through it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've worn out, and seen a few mag springs worn out over the years. Replaced one in an old, old, old, USGI 20 rounder earlier this year. Mag fed fine for the most part, but wouldn't lock the bolt back reliably. Changed out the spring and no more issue. That said, most mags I have seen go down were due to dents, breaks, caked with dirt or mud, or blood on the inside, or other issues not related to springs. General rule, mags are expendable and a wear item. So my advice would be to buy while they are cheap, and buy lots.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good idea I should pick some up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Aside from scratched, I had mags that really did need new springs.

I don't know if I would stock up but I keep a few around if I can resuscitate a GI mag.

I have seen springs wear from mag dumping without rotating , guys cramming 31 or 32 (!) rounds in and other abject abuse.

If a mag can be saved, I'll save it. If it is FUBAR, it gets tossed.

I'd sooner recommend getting more mags and just replacing springs as needed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought a ten pack of Wolff extra power springs just to have on hand. Have not had a need for them thus far.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I bought a ten pack of Wolff extra power springs just to have on hand. Have not had a need for them thus far.
    That is on my "to do list"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With magazines being as cheap as they are, buying expensive springs as spares makes no sense.

Feedback Score
    A couple of years ago, AT A GUN SHOW (grain of salt) I saw a guy selling PMAG rebuild kits...spring, follower and base plate, but no housing. Odd thing was they were in Magpul packages and priced for around 5 bucks. All I could think about was that you could get one ready to go for another 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast