Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score

Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

A few years back I did some corrosion testing on several different gun oils and greases. This was strictly a corrosion test. The pics below show the samples after three weeks of outside exposure combined with a salt spry misting. Since that time I've been using Eezox and Boeshield for storing my guns with excellent results.

Today I was looking at all the products on my cleaning bench that I've picked up over the past few years. So just for grins I'm going to do a new set of tests. More to follow......

Last edited by wedgehead30; 05-08-12 at 08:18.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How much did you coat the metal with the oil?

Also what type of metal is that? Just sheet metal squares?

WD-40 did pretty good compared to some of the others. Cool test. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    All of the products we're put on per manufacturers direction. The metal was plain old sheet metal.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score

Okay here's the contenders for this round of testing. Keep in mind that this is totally un-scientific. It's being done more for my own personal curiosity more than anything else.

Starting in the rear left:

Ballistol - G96 - Rem oil - Boeshield T9 - Eezox - Clenzeoil - WD40

Middle:

Hoppes #9 w/weather guard - Corrosion X - Firepower 10 - Tetra oil - V80 rust inhibitor - Weapon Shield, oil & grease - Break Free - Slip 2000 EWL - Slip 2000 oil - MC 2500 oil -Triflow - Gunzila.

Third Row:

Militec - Frog Lube oil & grease - PL10 lithium grease - Prolix - S&W oil - Tuf glide.

Bottom:

XF7 grease - Wilson Combat grease - Tetra grease.

All in all 30 different products that I have acquired over the years. I'm sure I'm probably leaving some thing out. I'm going to stop at the gun shop and see if there's anything else. Suggestions are welcome.

My test metal will be carbon steel fender washers, which will be cleaned and media blasted. Then each product will be applied per the manufacturers directions.

This test will include salt spray and inclement weather. My goal is to see which products hold up the best against rust.

Based on past experience I expect Boeshield T-9, Corrosion X and Eezox to be the top three. But we'll see......

More to follow

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    tag for interest

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe use some plain old motor oil. I know a lot of guys run that in their guns, myself included.

Feedback Score
    Finally a topic I have some relevant knowledge about. I spend quite a bit of time doing coating evaluations using various international test standards. One of my classes at school we conducted a similar experiment to observe long term corrosion outdoors. There is an ASTM test standard which covers the setup of this style of test. If you are interested I can dig the standard out when I get home tonight. It may help with the consistency of you results.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I like this kind of experimentation too! Many years ago I worked in metal proccessing. We always used the salt sray and humidity chamber to check our coatings and platings. Looks like some of your lubes actually speeded up corrosion. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. The wd40 will actually cause the metal to dry out. It's actually poor at rust protection which really surprises me. We used some on our padlocks for our lots and after a couple months they were rusted up real badly. I am really liking the slip 2000 stuff and can say it works for hard use weapons, so I'm glad to see it did well on rust as well.

Feedback Score
    So here's my test samples. Carbon steel fender washers with no protective coating. The one on the left is how they came and the one on the right is fresh from the blast cabinet. They all got wiped down with acetone before I put each product on. Each product had it's own paper towel. I cleaned my hands between each application to prevent cross contamination.

Here's the sample board with each product being tested. It will spend the night outside tonight. In the morning I give them a mist of salt spray to expedite things.

More to follow......

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast