Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    I do these tests every so often when I have a bunch of new products. I've tested ATF in the past and it performed similar to regular motor oil.

For what it's worth, the last time I shot with Ken Hackathorn I asked him what wizbang product he preferred for his guns. He chuckled and showed me a bottle of 10W30 motor oil.
    I use ATF or hydraulic oil because I basically get it for free. With a fleet of small heavy equipment, a couple tractor trailer rigs, and a small fleet of smaller trucks; I have a ton of oil left in the bottles of the jugs every week. Just tipping a 5 gal. jug of hydraulic oil up on edge and letting it drain for a day will yield enough lube for a couple years for me. Right now I'm running TranSynd Allison Synthetic ATC in my AR's since I just finished off a 5-gal bucket for my truck. Tri-Flow goes on my blued hunting guns, but that Eezox sure looks good.

Thanks for taking the time to gather the data.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 04-29-12 at 20:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by antlad View Post
    Wedge,
    I can mail you a bottle if you wouldn't mind posting the results.

I've got grandads old hunting rifles that need to be stored for a while and I'd be curious to see how the collector compares to eezox.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm done for a while.
    Wedge
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the offer but I'm done for a while.
    Wedge
    Good Test Wedge.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Eezox, Boeshield T-9 and Corrosion X consistently come out as the top three corrosion inhibitors in every test I've run. Personally I prefer Eezox. It hasn't let me down yet.
    is Eezox simply repackaged/formulated Boeshield? I've heard discussions that it is...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    I was sold on weapons shield about 3 years ago and this just makes me happier about it.
    me too. it's nice to see your choices validated

however, I still use Eezox on non-moving ferrous parts for protection...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    thank you wedge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    is Eezox simply repackaged/formulated Boeshield? I've heard discussions that it is...
    No, they are two separate products. Boeshield was developed by the Boeing Aircraft Co. for use on jet engine parts. If you compare the two side by side they are completely different is appearance, smell, color and viscosity. Both are marginal lubricants at best. But for pure protection they are outstanding.

I have an old can of Eezox and a new bottle. The newer version is thicker and feels more slippery. The smell and color are the same. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was reformulated at some point.
    Last edited by wedgehead30; 05-02-12 at 14:40.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregshin View Post
    thank you wedge
    You are welcome

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I just picked up a 6 oz drip bottle of tri-flo at a local bike shop after reading this thread. I recall from years ago, that it was highly recommended as an excellent bike and general purpose lube, and I have used it on Rc helicopters in the past. Cant believe I never thought to use it on guns.

I can see the protection benefits, and obviously it will lubricate, but will it clean too? I see on the bottle that's it contains solvents, so I am hopeful it can be used as a clp. Anyone use it to clean, as well as lube and protect?
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 05-12-12 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    Great post. Wish I could have joined at the begining. As this test was geared to long-term storage, I have a few questions...

Any idea how VCpI technology would have fared compared to the better rust inhibitors? Products such as ZCorr, Bullfrog and Inhibitor?

Putting a gun in a safe, even if it's a safe queen, to mind is not really long-term storage. It's just an extra gun sitting in a safe rather than in a holster or BOB kit or carry rig.

To me, long-term storage is kept somewhere else, out of sight, and not accessable to routine inspection and maintenance.

Stored in a PVC pipe and burried on the family farm comes to mind as a form of long-term storage. In this scenario, what would you want? Something like RIG or Eezox, or something like ZCorr's VCpI storage bag. In either case, add dessicant, possibly an O2 eater, and place in an air and water tight container.

Keep it at a steady cool temp (say below the frost line) and hopefully you can leave them to the kids twenty years from now, without worry about house fires or theft.

This isn't what you would do with the gun you want to shoot every once in a while, or if you only have two, or if you have no large plot of private land - well away from neighbors. This is what you do with excess guns / ammo you don't need. You can only bug out with so many weapons and rounds. What doesn't get taken may end up arming the squatters who end up in your house after you leave.

Better that they can't find anything realy useful. You may just end up coming back some day and need the gear you left behind.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast