Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    For fun add in mobil 1?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post

Is that some fruity hand sanitizer there in the top right corner? lol.

I'm looking forward to see how the Frog Lube comes out. Larry sent us some Frog Lube a while back so we could do a T & E for hard weapons use, like rapid fire, high round count, friction inhibitory properties, maintaining lubrication properties after a soak in a tub of water, environmental extremes etc... It did VERY good in the T&E. We never tested it so much for corrosion inhibitory properties.
    I too was surprised about how the WD-40 turned out the first time, I seen another test like this, I think on youtube, and it was horrific.

I also like the idea that someone stated about testing regular ol motro oil... I know a lot of Lead chunkers that use that.

Looking forward to seeing all the results... Keep it up bro.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    Great work.

Will you be doing a day by day pictorial so we can witness not only how well or not it protects, but how soon corrosion actually starts?
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ive always wanted to see/do one of these but add heat in the mix. for those of us that usually store a weapon after its been fired until we get a chance to clean it.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. I am real interested in seeing the results.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Is that some fruity hand sanitizer there in the top right corner? lol.
    Yep, Cherry Pomegranate. The wife bitches when I come up from man-land smelling like G-96. If Momma ain't happy then nobodies happy...
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Okay Day number 1. This morning I brought the board in from outside. there was no moisture observed on the samples nor any signs of corrosion. I figured there'd be some morning dew but nope, nothing.

So to start things rolling I mixed up 6 ounces of warm water and mixed in a table spoon of regular table salt. I laid the board flat and lightly misted the samples. I let them dry in direct sun light and then stood the board back up. As you can see from the picture that's all it took to get the unprotected Control sample to start corroding. None of the others show any signs of corrosion. From spray to corrosion was four hours. Based on past experience some of the other samples will start showing corrosion within the next day.

At the suggestion of several members I did add a sample protected by regular motor oil, 5W-30. It's the bottom right sample.

More to follow..........

"The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by F_G View Post
    Great work.

Will you be doing a day by day pictorial so we can witness not only how well or not it protects, but how soon corrosion actually starts?
    Yes, I'm keeping fairly detailed records on this test. They will all be documented here also.

At the request of a member I added a sample protected by Armalube. It's not in the original picture but it and the motor oil protected sample were both on the board before I put it outside.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    Yep, Cherry Pomegranate. The wife bitches when I come up from man-land smelling like G-96. If Momma ain't happy then nobodies happy...
    I knew I've seen that before, I have some around here some where. It looked funny setting around with all those Lubes & stuff.

My gf said "I bet his wife or gf makes him use that so he doesn't smell like his chemicals".... Shes been there obviously.....If I try working on anything in the house instead of the shop...she freaks on me
    Gotta giv'em what they want.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man, those torx deck screws are expensive! I just bought a few pounds of the bastards.

Looking forward to the rusty carnage.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast