Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-4 Variable optic options

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Seemed like a good place to post this!

Finally got to do some varied shooting with my NSX 1-4X with FC-2 reticle on a new 6920 upper at a shoot this last weekend. (Thanks Chen!) I shot over 500rds from 5-50yds on paper and steel, moving, prone, obstacle course around cover from strong and weak side.

Some impressions:

- 1x works great! No eye relief issues with my nose to charging handle mount, no problems coming up from low ready from 5-50 yds. Almost as good as an Aimpoint.

- Black unlit reticle (FC-2) works fine in daylight, large "wings" really help to center/sight the target even if it is dark colored.

- 4x eye relief can be tricky to find when dropping quickly into prone. Or maybe just need more practice...

- SEB/SBU prone works fine at 1x. 4x has above issues.

- REALLY helps to close one eye when at 4x, with sweat and movement etc, I got some double images when trying to keep both eyes open. Not really an issue at 1x.

- Reticle was fine at 1x for a 6" plate at 50yds.

- As in my old post with reticle pics, the glass is super clear with great contrast. Never had a problem with target ID.

- Aimpoint still rules for Minute of @$$&*!# shooting at 50y and maybe farther. Just so easy to use... But 4x is always better if you need target ID or more precision.

I still need to do more low light and indoor stuff with it, but at 1x I don't really forsee any major issues. With a white light source you don't even need the scope illumination.

So overall I am pretty happy with the glass so far. It is a compromise over an Aimpoint because of the eye relief, but you get magnification as well when you need it. And it is much more versatile than an ACOG with the 1x capability.

Any questions, opinions, or recommendations welcome!

Dennis.
    Great review Dennis, thanks for taking the time to post it.

I really need to check out one of the new Nightforce's.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been meaning to write a review of the NXS 1-4x, but never got around to it. Might as well post a few thoughts here.

I've been using the scope since May. I quickly forgot about my Aimpoints and ACOGs.

The magnification ring on mine is very stiff, and while the ring is knurled, traction is merely adequate. I am not a fan of the rubber lens caps that come with the scope; aftermarket ones are necessary. The battery is located within the illumination knob and is accessed by simply unscrewing the cap. Windage and elevation clicks are acceptable, though not as pronounced as I would like.

I feel like I have a fairly consistent cheekweld (no problems with TA31F), so I have not had any problems with the eye relief, even in asymmetrical positions. I have not felt the need to adjust the focus from the factory setting.

The size of the view (not the field of view) is nice, but not as large as a 4x ACOG. After using the NXS, it would be difficult to go back to using a Compact ACOG. At pistol distances, magnification on the 1x setting is fairly obvious. At first, I thought that it was a true 1x at farther distances, but upon further scrutiny, there appears to still be a slight trace of magnification. My guess is that it is 1.1x or below -- I can't recall exactly what the Short Dot looked like. Anyways, this is purely academic, being of interest only to people on the internet. At speed, it feels exactly like 1x.

My scope has the FC-2 reticle and according to Nightforce, the dot is 2 MOA at 4x. On 1x, the ring and dot are large and thick, which makes it very fast under 15 yards. Beyond that however, the size of the reticle is a bit unwieldy and slows surgical shooting. Detail is obscured and at long distances, aiming using the tiny view between the ring and dot is no fun. In fact, at 50 yards, I feel like I have to bump up to 2x if I want to be able to call all of my shots. Whereas, with an Aimpoint, I feel as though I can comfortably shoot to the limits of my vision. The horizontal lines of the FC-2 do not interfere or add clutter. I do not recall ever noticing them while shooting.

Regarding daytime illumination, the unlit reticle is fine most of the time. However, scanning some deciduous foliage will quickly reveal why illumination is desired. On the max setting, the reticle is maroon in daylight, which is actually quite useable, but will quickly drain the battery. At night, note that the illumination is powerful enough to overcome a 9V weaponlight, so it's not like using an ACOG or iron sights. I would hazard a guess that it is very similar to using an EOTech in low light.

Battery life is short. The scope (if function tested before shipping) was delivered DOA, having been left on the max setting. Twice in one month, I forgot to turn off the scope on a high setting. The battery was dead by the next time I wanted to shoot.

Just one small issue. The magnification ring tends to drift slightly during fire. After 250 rounds, it will have shifted 3-4mm. It looks like the tension of the ring might be adjustable, but the manual doesn't mention anything about it.

Until I try out a Short Dot II, my ideal variable optic is simply an NXS 1-4x with daytime illumination.

Feedback Score
    Good review, Vinh. Thanks for the info. BTW, I think that review is about 12x as many words as I've ever heard you speak in person...

- Bill

Feedback Score
    Not trying to go OT so let me know if I am. For folks on a budget, how does the MeOpta K Dot compare?

Bomber

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardgear, LLC
    Not trying to go OT so let me know if I am. For folks on a budget, how does the MeOpta K Dot compare?

Bomber
    MeOptas are very nice, Phil Stader will be shooting one next year in 3 gun. This year he used a Leupold CQ/T 1-3x and an MR/T 1.5-5x.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Bomber

I spent some time with one of these. Glass is great, but the reticle is so so.

IMHO, the best "working mans" 1-4 variable is the Trijicon TR21 (at well under $600).

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant,

Can the T21 be used with both eyes open? The FOV is realatively narrow, would you consider that an issue?

I really want to get a 1 x 4 scope for my personal use as well as one to offer in my store. Based upon my market, I need to offer something affordable.

The T21 is interesting but so is the MeOpta......dam there isn't any easy decisions.

Bomber

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Grant,

Can the T21 be used with both eyes open? The FOV is realatively narrow, would you consider that an issue?

I really want to get a 1 x 4 scope for my personal use as well as one to offer in my store. Based upon my market, I need to offer something affordable.

The T21 is interesting but so is the MeOpta......dam there isn't any easy decisions.

Bomber
    Yes, they can be used with both eyes open (all 1-4's can IMHO). I have never noticed an issue with FOV. I also know that Naval EOD has been running the TR21 for some time in a LT SPR-EER mount.

I like the TR21 over the Meopta simply because of cost.

This years SS should bring out a new version of the TR21 that is more geared towards Combat applications.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Grant-

Just recently I got two friends into ARs and they wanted low power scopes. We bought three Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32s and rings. The scopes are nice but we need taller rings or new mounts. I'm thinking about just sending the scope back and
    selling my Eotech 512 on a Larue mount, a NIB TD VFG, a Surefire M3 combatlight and my new CTR Stock off in TOS's EE just to scrape some cash together so I can get an accupoint.

What's your opinion on this move?

I should also say I really liked the TA01 I had awhile back and I think I'd really like a TA31F...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    You guys are burning a hole in my wallet.....bastards.
    Sad, that it takes someone else to tell you your life is worth protecting and that you are the one ultimately responsible for it.

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast