Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fast" AR

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    18'' Rifle Gas w/ medium profile barrel.

Geissele SD3G / Ambi-Safety

JP Low mass Buffer / BCG

Whatever stock.

A 14'' or longer tubular rail with handstop.

SJC Titan or Surefire MB556K

EOTECH XPS or a 1-4X depending on if you need extended range. But for pure go fast purposes...EOTECH.

I'm pretty sure the above choices are self explanatory. Let me know if not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closest thing I currently own to the above is an 18'' BCM SS410 (rifle gas) with a Battlecomp, PRS stock (rifle buffer), SD3G, Aimpoint M4, and standard BCG / rifle buffer. Very soft shooting and all around "fast."

It's obviously not my go-to gun, and it was built specifically for "gaming" purposes, which I never really got into. Still a fun rifle to shoot though.
    Very close to my 3gun rifle, which is:

S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot
    18" BCM SS410 rifle gas barrel
    SJC Titan muzzle brake
    15" Lancer carbon fiber tube
    Geissele SD3G trigger
    Battle Arms 45 degree ambi safety
    Magpul PRS stock with RRA 9mm delrin spacer CAR buffer and spring
    JP LMOS 6.25oz bolt carrier with BCM bolt
    Troy low pro gas block
    Shooting 75gr Hornady Steel Match ammo at 15yds shooting a Warren Tactical IPSC style target exposed to me for 2 seconds I was getting .11sec-.125sec splits hitting the A zone 8 or 9 times.
    This gun is a bit heavy so it's slower on target translations vs shooting one target.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    With all the talk of recoil-reducing parts of late, and of parts that allow one to "go faster", I'm curious to hear what some of you think would make for the ideal "go faster" AR. What barrel, length, gas system, muzzle device, optic, stock (system), trigger, safety, etc?

If you combine all of the "fastest" parts, will they work together?
    What are your parameters for "go fast"?
    I'm not being argumentative, just something that I have noticed is that there are many aspects that impact others.
    Some things that improve a Half and Half can negatively impact a 400 Point Aggregate (those two assessments are superb for measuring an individual's basic skill with a carbine, in my opinon) or long-range precision.

I guess what I am asking is what is the application, or where do we weight performance data?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    Swarvo 1-6 Z6i (I think) in a lightened larue mount
    Want to talk about this?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well in the shotguns sports you want longer heavy barrels to swing smooth and fast through the target. I dont see how making an ar lighter will make it faster in every aspect or any for that matter. I think the trigger and practice will be the most condusive to increased speed.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Well in the shotguns sports you want longer heavy barrels to swing smooth and fast through the target. I dont see how making an ar lighter will make it faster in every aspect or any for that matter. I think the trigger and practice will be the most condusive to increased speed.
    Because rifle sports usually call for multiple shots on a single target (at least the cardboard ones) and swinging "through" the target isn't reccommended. A rifle has to be quick on target aquisition, and equally quick to stop once sights are on target.

At least that's been my experience.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Want to talk about this?
    dremil+mount=lightened mount
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    God help us if a newbie posts this thread, rob s would be on him like white on rice.

Just so everything's fair.

Use the search button.
    There's another thread that covers this?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some things that improve a Half and Half can negatively impact a 400 Point Aggregate
    what would these be? Is it just because of the 200 and 150 yard portions? What features that are good for speed up close would be detrimental for that.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-23-12 at 03:34.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    Because rifle sports usually call for multiple shots on a single target (at least the cardboard ones) and swinging "through" the target isn't reccommended. A rifle has to be quick on target aquisition, and equally quick to stop once sights are on target.

At least that's been my experience.
    and then back again.

I agree.

Feedback Score
    What are your parameters for "go fast"?...
    I guess what I am asking is what is the application, or where do we weight performance data?
    A good question (from my viewpoint) and which is more important; the "fast" shooter or the "fast" rifle?
    Consider my question from the perspective of my basic ignorance on this subject but wanting to be educated.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast