Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout upper or just get high-end 5.56 hunting ammo?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    .223/5.56 will **** deer up. It'll **** most anything within reason up. Just about any .223/5.56 round is no joke and excels at ****ing shit up -- anyone who says otherwise is only kidding themselves. I say stick with good 5.56 loads. Lots of variation and at good prices.
    That is friggin epic! Thanks, you made my day!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've killed deer with 5.56, it isn't rocket science. Shoot the thing, it's gonna die. However, many states think they know better. (including mine )

So, based on that, make your decision. If your state allows it, shoot away. If it doesn't, I'd go 300 BLK over 6.8.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    From what I have seen with the .223/5.56 on deer and antelope it would be hard to improve very much in terminal performance inside 300yds. When using good bullets the .223/5.56 just flat works really well.

One thing to consider if hunting coyotes is the significantly flatter mid range trajectory of the .223/ 5.56. Seems many are zeroing the .300 Blackout 3 inches high at 100yds to get a 200yd zero. 3 inches above line of sight will cost you some coyotes.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat....I take my 556 to WV and deer hunt, now I want to hunt in my state (Va) with my ARs (somewhat lighter than my 270BAR) so I've got to decide on a upper, the way the 300 is taking off I think it'd make a good coyote, deer, and plinking round.
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .223 is great for coyotes (groundhogs are downright amusing to shoot with it).
    If my state would allow it I'd use it for deer but I currently have to make do with my 30-30 for deer.
    I've been thinking about a .300blk upper for them but I'm currently considering saving up for an MRP. Maybe sell off the standard AR to help fund it.

Not as convenient as just dropping uppers around but quite a space saver and an MRP barrel is usually cheaper than anything but a Model 1 upper or something else of that ilk.

Feedback Score
    jay35
    I think you will be pleased with a 300 blk. It should stomp deer/pigs reall good. Even with heavy for caliber bullets the 5.56mm is limited to 175 ish for big game. The 300 Blk will get you past 250 or more.
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 04-24-12 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    I may get flamed for this, but **** it...

I see 300BLK as a temporary fad. I don't believe it will ever have the full market support and the level of options that .223/5.56 has. With today's modern ammunition, there isn't much you cannot do with .223/5.56 inside of 600 yards. Some skilled individuals can reach out beyond 600, but I'm still working on that so I am not qualified to comment.

Full disclosure - I haven't shot anything in 300, but from reliable first-hand reports, the 300BLK drops significantly after a very short distance (200yds is a significant drop if I recall correctly). I don't see the benefit of a bigger bullet if it's only useable at close range. If I want a .30 caliber bullet I'll use the tried and proven .308.

Terminally, I realize it gets positive reviews from Doc, but I haven't seen anything on the 300BLK that makes me think it will do anything better than .223/5.56. Have there been any real-world shootings with it? Talking with people who shoot people for a living, they are more than pleased with .223/5.56 for the task.

Maybe my doubts will be proven wrong - it's happened before. I just don't see it going the distance. I remember a few years ago when the 6.8 was the new hot thing... now it's an also-ran IMO. Look at all the attempts to add a new cartridge to the market: 500 Beowulf, 458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, etc. If you have the funds to get extra uppers in various (more expensive calibers), then have at it. I won't tell you how to spend your money. But I haven't seen a new caliber that will give me a significant advantage over what we already have. My extra money will go to more 5.56 ammo and training. YMMV.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Just throwing my two cents in here, Check with your state to see if .223/5.56 is legal for hunting deer or elk. I know here, in Colorado, the smallest caliber allowed for hunting deer and elk is .243.
    Last edited by ChefDementia; 04-25-12 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    Why not spend a few bucks and RELOAD your .223 deer ammo? Would allow ample PRACTICE and buying Nosler 60 gr slugs by the box is a lot cheaper than loaded from the Factory.

Winchester used to sell their 64 gr Power Points they worked fine on deer on broadside lung shots. I've never used the NP's as they were not on the market back then.

I lost a very nice 5x5 MT Mule deer 30 yrs back when the slug from my little Sako .223 bolt gun never penetrated but blew up on the point of his shoulder. followed the blood and tracks in 2" of new snow for about a mile. Then heard a shot and got to see MY deer...shot by another guy. My shot appeared as though it would have healed. For whatever reason the 60 gr bullet never penetrated the hide.

That pretty much ended using varmint guns on big game for me.

FN in MT

Feedback Score
    I killed several 400-500 pound hogs at 100-200 yards usually with one shot with irons. Ballistic tip works great on hogs
    Last edited by CCFD1414; 04-25-12 at 22:10.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast