Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand New M50 Joint Service Gas Masks Available

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a sneaky suspision that someone in this thread works for AGT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsummers View Post
    I have a sneaky suspision that someone in this thread works for AGT.
    There's just a lot of not-so-good information out there about gas masks from folks who have never really had the chance to use one of these. I spent a lot of hard earned money buying a quality mask after doing considerable research on the subject, and just wanted to share my experience as a former NBC officer in the Corps. I am more than happy to mention AGT because they were only charging about half the outrageous prices armygasmasks.com were charging for the same thing. Lol. That's it...really.
    Last edited by Teufelshund; 06-14-12 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Holy hell those are expensive.
    Not to worry, as with most military equipment, it will find it's way on to ebay in short order.

Prices range from $300-$400 in most cases.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshund View Post
    In regards cheaper masks offering comparable protection, apparently the entire US military including the Corps does not agree with your assessment.

Wow,

The military said it was good so it must be the best protective mask on the planet?

There are other manufacturers who offer competitive masks which use the same filters that will protect you just as well as the
    Joint Services Mask at a better price point.

I always welcome new members to the forum who offer insight to gear and services but you appear to have a vested interest with this item more so then a informational poster.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 06-10-12 at 16:27.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    but you appear to have a vested interest with this item more so then a informational poster.
    Based on what? My defense of your criticism of a mask I spent a lot of money and research on? Criticism which came after I made a post to merely help others? I think most people would respond in the same fashion over something they believe in. That doesn't make you some hack for the manufacturer.

So, honestly, please share your experience with us. What specific masks are better than the M50 family of masks and why? What is your experience with them, i.e. have you had to wear them as part of a military unit in the field? Have you worn a M50 so you can compare it to your favorites? Please let us know...perhaps there is something better out there that was somehow missed by the Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and our Special Forces.
    Last edited by Teufelshund; 06-11-12 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    By far the best mask for comfort and ease of breathing that I've used. I want to try Avons new minaturized blower with it, it will be like wearing no mask at all (ish)? I use a C420 now, but it's a big heavy beast.

If you are stocking the bunker for Armageddon, please stop reading, the next will not apply to you:

Masks are notoriously hard to shoot in, but are an absolute necessity for specialized units. A variant of this mask was tested and had the lowest optical distortion of any available mask, and was also more comfortable and easier to breathe in.

Call me crazy (I'm no NBC guy, just a guy who has to wear a mask sometimes) but that's one of those things that if I had to use it I would be glad I didn't bargain shop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    By far the best mask for comfort and ease of breathing that I've used....Call me crazy (I'm no NBC guy, just a guy who has to wear a mask sometimes) but that's one of those things that if I had to use it I would be glad I didn't bargain shop.
    Thanks M4...I think most people who have used these masks operationally like you are of the same opinion.... You are dead on about the shooting part too...I've considered the single port version so I can get a better cheek weld, but its more than I can afford. I've noticed the fogging issues are far less than the old M40 too.

For those interested, here's the Marine Corps assessment M50 vs. M40/42. From the Marine Corps Times: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._mask_060210w/

Marine Corps fielding new gas mask, By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer; Posted : Wednesday Jun 2, 2010 6:00:34 EDT

The Marine Corps is in the midst of fielding a new gas mask that will replace the 1980s-era M40 Field Protective Mask. Designated the M50 Joint Service General Purpose Mask, it has a similar fit and feel to the M40, but offers more protection and capabilities, according to Marine Corps Systems Command. The mask, reminiscent of Darth Vader’s, is billed as compact, lighter, more comfortable and more effective by the Defense Department’s Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense.

Chief among its advantages is a wider field of view, afforded by a single lens that spans the width of the mask’s face. The M40 has two smaller lenses. The new mask can withstand exposure up to 24 hours — about twice as long as its predecessor — and it uses two small filters instead of one large one. This allows Marines to more easily replace them while in a contaminated environment. A new life-span indicator shows when filters are spent. Other improvements include lower breathing resistance, meaning wearers are less likely to get winded during strenuous activity, and a carrying pouch that integrates with existing load-bearing equipment.
    The Corps also is fielding the M51, which is essentially an M50 outfitted with an array of accessories for use in vehicle-borne operations. Accessories can include a fire-retardant hood and a microphone adapter that makes radio communications clearer — especially important for ground commanders and air-traffic controllers.

Nearly all Marines can expect to at least train with the M50. But it isn’t just for Marines. It was developed for all services and other users include Special Forces, the Navy, the Air Force, the Army and the Coast Guard, according to the JPEO-CBD’s website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Call me crazy (I'm no NBC guy, just a guy who has to wear a mask sometimes) but that's one of those things that if I had to use it I would be glad I didn't bargain shop.
    I concur with this statement.

Also, proper deployment and care of a mask usually involves training (we actually had a qual card for them in the Navy).

But, far more importantly, I offer this video for everyone's consideration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDEVhR7u4U

Unless you know beforehand of a NBC event, have the proper equipment (which unless you are NBC-trained, you likely haven't a clue what constitutes proper equipment), the training to use it, and you have access to a proper cleaning station and clean environment, you're ****ed. I have a friend who was a 74D in the Army, what he told me about the reality of widescale survivability of equipped soldiers in the field in a CBRN environment makes me skeptical that Joe Prepper would have a snowballs chance in Hell of surviving.

ETA: That isn't to say that having a high-quality mask and a stash of filter replacements wouldn't be a sound idea for a prepper. If nothing else, the possibility of encountering noxious fumes from fires or crowd dispersing agents (like tear gas or pepper spray) in a "SHTF" event is probably pretty high, and a good mask can mitigate those threats.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 06-11-12 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine is a soft side/single port version. Pretty nice for shooting.

I used an MSA Millenium before that but I found that it was really hard to shoot in, it was absolutely not optically correct and shifted poi on my guns relative to shooting without a mask

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshund View Post
    Based on what? My defense of your criticism of a mask I spent a lot of money and research on? Criticism which came after I made a post to merely help others? I think most people would respond in the same fashion over something they believe in. That doesn't make you some hack for the manufacturer.

So, honestly, please share your experience with us. What specific masks are better than the M50 family of masks and why? What is your experience with them, i.e. have you had to wear them as part of a military unit in the field? Have you worn a M50 so you can compare it to your favorites? Please let us know...perhaps there is something better out there that was somehow missed by the Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and our Special Forces.
    Never said the M-50 was a bad protective mask as I simply pointed out for the extremely low exposer risk that most of the members here face obtaining a protective mask should be a much lower priority then completing basic long term prep's.

Also protective masks and filters that are deployed by professionals in the field are independently certified by outside testing labs to protect against certain hazards. Depending on the needs of the user vision and flow are the most important traits except were long gun users need filter placement and lens that are adapted for such use.

So if I can shop and purchase a mask with filters which meet the same protective certification as the M-50 for less cash how does this disturb your self proclaimed subject matter expert status?

Hence the reasons why some may think you have a alternative agenda being a new member and pushing two retail products/reviews.

As I recall your EMag review didn't go over to well either.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 06-11-12 at 21:27.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast