Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand New M50 Joint Service Gas Masks Available

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll agree with most of what PhilaPD said. To me it sounds like you're hoping to get some positive reinforcement on your purchase of a gas mask that, while it is most likely top-of-the-line, does not offer a significant value per dollar to the average prepper over similar lower-priced masks.

My wife and I had the NBC long-term survival discussion. I have a full set of MOPP gear for both my wife and myself, (ironically I still need a second mask for her, waiting on a good deal) it basically came down to the fact that beyond a short-term chemical/nuclear event, a full-blown worst-case event we're probably not going to even attempt survival. Excessive radiation/chem/whatever is going to kill wildlife, plants, and contaminate any food and water source we're able to practically acquire or grow.

Our MOPP gear and chem equipment is really for exfil from a contaminated area, IE if a local reactor went tits-up.

Long term nuclear-holocaust survival is not only impractical, it's nearly impossible to prepare for without millions of dollars, and even then I'm not sure the quality of life you would live would be "surviving" in my definition of the word.

That said, nice mask, I would just choose to spend $300 that I would save over an M40/42 or whatever and put it towards something else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Never said the M-50 was a bad protective mask as I simply pointed out for the extremely low exposer risk that most of the members here face obtaining a protective mask should be a much lower priority then completing basic long term prep's.

Also protective masks and filters that are deployed by professionals in the field are independently certified by outside testing labs to protect against certain hazards. Depending on the needs of the user vision and flow are the most important traits except were long gun users need filter placement and lens that are adapted for such use.

So if I can shop and purchase a mask with filters which meet the same protective certification as the M-50 for less cash how does this disturb your self proclaimed subject matter expert status?

Hence the reasons why some may think you have a alternative agenda being a new member and pushing two retail products/reviews.

As I recall your EMag review didn't go over to well either.
    From a fellow Marine, I'm not sure what the problem is. So which is it? Are you saying I work for Magpul AND Avon now? I offer some help here and you shoot off some unsubstantiated criticisms. I didn't say that you said the M50 was a bad gas mask. You said "Lower cost masks which offers comparable protection are available to the smart shopper." And you still didn't answer the questions, so I'll ask them again: "What specific masks are better than the M50 family of masks and why? What is your experience with them, i.e. have you had to wear them as part of a military unit in the field? Have you worn an M50 so you can compare it to your favorites? Please let us know...perhaps there is something better out there that was somehow missed by the Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and our Special Forces."
    Last edited by Teufelshund; 06-13-12 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    To me it sounds like you're hoping to get some positive reinforcement on your purchase of a gas mask that, while it is most likely top-of-the-line, does not offer a significant value per dollar to the average prepper over similar lower-priced masks..
    Not at all Alien, I assure you. I agree with nearly everything you say about NBC prep. Frankly (I'm not directing this at you), my rebuttals come from the fact that I just I don't like completely unwarranted cheap shots by someone that doesn't even know me, especially after making a post merely to help some people. That, and I have experience with both the M40 and M50, and have yet found anything close in comparison for a lot less money, as some claim are out there. Perhaps the problem is, and I'm not including you in this, that this person bought a cheap mask and feels a need to justify his purchase. After all, it was not me who jumped in to someone else's post to criticize their buy. I've read hundreds of great posts here...I listen most of the time, rather than post, and I really just I wanted to contribute something in return.

The reality is that most people buy cheap masks...ones that probably won't do a damn thing except make them feel good, until things get bad and they die (or worse...watch someone they love die). How many masks are bought on ebay by people don't even ask when the mask was made, let alone the filters? How many know that their filters are probably expired? How many people know the breathing resistance of their mask? How many think about the FOV? How many people know how long their mask filters will typically last (the M50 is twice that of the M40). How many are even aware that most civilian masks distort the sight picture, sending rounds off target? How many folks have actually had to wear a mask for hours, so they have no concept of how important a light weight, comfortable mask is? How many ask or even know what type of rubber their mask is made of, since this is a huge factor in comfort and mask shelf life? How many have thought about how easy will it be to get filters for a mask NOT in the military supply system should the SHTF? How many have thought about the collector value of military mask over some non-issue civilian mask? What is the value of having two redundant filters? How many people think their mask is just as good as a high quality mask, without ever really sitting down and comparing the specs? Again, its just my opinion, but when it comes to buying something your life may depend on, I'm not going to try to save a few bucks buying something second rate. If others want to roll the dice, have at it. Anyhow, I could go on, but I'll spare ya. Appreciate the feed back very much.
    Last edited by Teufelshund; 06-26-12 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Honestly if I made more I'd pick up a pair, as the main complaint I had about the M4x series is the fact that I cant comfortably wear inserts or glasses, and it really does screw with shooting. Not to mention airflow :x

I'd get a pair if I could afford it, but I'm hoping that the M42 and the other MSA mask will do it for us...(have lots of extra filters)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Well I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Honestly if I made more I'd pick up a pair, as the main complaint I had about the M4x series is the fact that I cant comfortably wear inserts or glasses, and it really does screw with shooting. Not to mention airflow :x

I'd get a pair if I could afford it, but I'm hoping that the M42 and the other MSA mask will do it for us...(have lots of extra filters)
    Thanks for that Alien. I hear ya. Its not an easy decision parting with so much money.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshund View Post
    From a fellow Marine, I'm not sure what the problem is. So which is it? Are you saying I work for Magpul AND Avon now? I offer some help here and you shoot off some unsubstantiated criticisms. I didn't say that you said the M50 was a bad gas mask. You said "Lower cost masks which offers comparable protection are available to the smart shopper." And you still didn't answer the questions, so I'll ask them again: "What specific masks are better than the M50 family of masks and why? What is your experience with them, i.e. have you had to wear them as part of a military unit in the field? Have you worn an M50 so you can compare it to your favorites? Please let us know...perhaps there is something better out there that was somehow missed by the Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and our Special Forces."
    You seem to be stuck with "Lets compare Masks" which I have no desire to fall into a ENDLESS debate were you just wish to argue and defend your motivations. Once again I will state I have no issue with the M-50 mask other then I believe that 98% of most prepers do not need such a high end expensive protective mask since they have minimal real threat of exposer to hazardous materials on a mass scale.

But to be fair once they complete all other areas of their prep's and have some disposable income then maybe some can justify the high cost of such a specialized piece of equipment. But I would once again suggest that they do some research into what possible NBC threats they could be exposed to for the area they live in and then buy a protective system to cover that scenario after shopping for the best deal.

In my finial words for this thread it just seems a bit opportunistic that the link you posted for a retailer just happen to join the forum and make a single post to revive a dead thread after 46 days and then you just happen to rediscover this thread and start posting to defend a product that no one has a issue with in the first place other then a suggestion that members shop around and compare competitive options.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    .... I offer this video for everyone's consideration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDEVhR7u4U

ETA: That isn't to say that having a high-quality mask and a stash of filter replacements wouldn't be a sound idea for a prepper. If nothing else, the possibility of encountering noxious fumes from fires or crowd dispersing agents (like tear gas or pepper spray) in a "SHTF" event is probably pretty high, and a good mask can mitigate those threats.
    Wow...tragic. Thanks for that Redman. Passed it on to some friends in training. Called my wife in to watch, and to my surprise she said "there's a hazmat symbol on the back of the tank!". Good girl...someone in her agency obviously trained her correctly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    By far the best mask for comfort and ease of breathing that I've used. I want to try Avons new minaturized blower with it, it will be like wearing no mask at all (ish)? I use a C420 now, but it's a big heavy beast.

If you are stocking the bunker for Armageddon, please stop reading, the next will not apply to you:

Masks are notoriously hard to shoot in, but are an absolute necessity for specialized units. A variant of this mask was tested and had the lowest optical distortion of any available mask, and was also more comfortable and easier to breathe in.

Call me crazy (I'm no NBC guy, just a guy who has to wear a mask sometimes) but that's one of those things that if I had to use it I would be glad I didn't bargain shop.
    When you get a chance to try that blower, please let us know if you think its worth it. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well This post opened my eyes to what is out there it has been about twenty years since I've worn a gas mask and I think it was the M17, it was not pleasant and I was in the best shape of my life then. The new options are impressive.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've cleaned up this thread so lets stop the bickering and try to act like adults

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast