Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A way to avoid being "THAT GUY"

Feedback Score

A way to avoid being "THAT GUY"

I am going to be taking a Tactical Carbine/Handgun class with ITTS and Scott Reitz this march. I desperately do want to be "that guy" (I know this has probably brought up before) in this class. I have taken The basic Carbine class that is required for LEO's here in MA, but it mainly covered different ways to sling your rifle and we only shot 100 rounds from varied positions Kneeling, prone, standing and etc. I am very confident in my ability to shoot and handle the weapon safely. What I am looking for are some suggestions on what are some things I should work on from now till I take the class. I have the ablity to work one on one with a Carbine instructor (Local LEO) during this time.

As I have already mentioned, I am looking for some suggestions on things I can work on before I take the class so I can avoid becoming "that guy". Keep in mind that I am very open minded and have zero problems when it come to following intructions. The last time I was worried about being "that guy" I dropped that worry as soon as I stepped on the range and shot a 98 and 96 (out of 100) on the two parts of the MA LEO pistol Qual. So I should have no problems but I just want to be prepared.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    I desperately do want to be "that guy" (I know this has probably brought up before) in this class.
    Quoted 'cause it's funny.

Back on topic, don't sweat it.

There are always to "that guy"s in every class. The first is the guy that just can't get a break the whole time. He's generally a known good shooter, and everyone calls him "that guy" in fun. Then there is "that guy" that has no idea he's the one, that has gear issues, safety issues, personality issue, etc. and when he's called on any of it he looks up as if he's surprised to hear he's doing anything wrong.

Being the first kind can be fun, and it'll happen to all of us eventually. Being the second guy is what you want to avoid. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Randy Cain talks about "going too fast for the curve" as a car analogy for shooting. Shoot as fast as you can get good hits. Reload as fast as you can manipulate the magazines. Transition as fast as you can move the firearms.

Don't go too fast for the curve and chances are you won't be "that guy".

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just from your attitude, I doubt you'd be "that guy".

Don't sweat it, just make sure your gear is good to go and keep your eyes and ears open.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Don't point your gun at anyone and don't have a negligent discharge and you won't be "that guy" in my book.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Judging by your post I highly doubt any of this pertains to you but;

IMO:

- Always #1 - Have the basic firearms safety rules down cold (muzzle awareness, etc.)
    - Know basic weapons handling (reloads, weapons malfunction drills, etc.) for the weapons you will be using in the class. Each instructor might have slight differences in how they want it done but you should have at least a basic proficiency before you attend depending on the level of the class and/or class prerequisites. A lot of this will depend on the class level you are attending but even if it's a basic level I class it helps if it's not the first time you've ever tried it.
    - Show up with an open mind – your paying good money to the instructor for a reason.
    - Have your weapons properly zeroed (carbine & handgun); know your handguns zero at various ranges. Know what zero your instructor prefers before hand.
    - Know your gear and how to use it effectively (location of mag pouches, etc)
    - Know proper weapons maintenance (PM & lubrication)
    - Know that your weapons, magazines, and ammo are reliable. Do not bring new items to the class without verifying before hand that they work.
    - Bring all of the proper safety equipment and all other required items (enough ammo, enough magazines, enough lube & cleaning supplies, batteries, food & water, eye& ear protection, etc).
    - I will think of more later but this list isn’t bad for a start.

Do not show up for the class and consider it a “test” or just a chance to show off your self-perceived skills.

Instead treat it, as it should – as a training opportunity to better your knowledge and skills.

- Do not work too much about being “That Guy”.
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 01-06-08 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The fact that you know what the meaning of "That Guy" is... pretty much dictates your not him...

The real.."that Guy" has no clue what it means while he performs in the "That Guy" mode..
    Know your gun..
    Know your gear..
    be able to keep both running..
    be able to listen and apply what your are learning and stop and ask questions if you don't understand a drill and don't worry about keeping up with anyone in the class and you will do fine...

and as for being "that Guy".. you leave that to the professionals....

Feedback Score
    100MPH tape and para-cord will keep Uncle Scotty happy.

Seriously, I've had two classes with Scott now. Very Good instructor. He is death on Safety violations - as has been mentioned. His de-briefs on various incidents in the LA mega-lopolis are worth the cost of admission.

As for the rest of it - stay switched on and wait for "that guy" to start getting called CupCake.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    100MPH tape and para-cord will keep Uncle Scotty happy.
    Used in this fashion I assume?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    Used in this fashion I assume?

Reitz uses 100 mph tape on everything. Last time I trained with him, even the grip safety on his 1911 was "pinned" with 100mph tape.

Feedback Score
    You'll be fine, "Sweet lips."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast