Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMag Follower in 60 round Surefire?

Feedback Score

PMag Follower in 60 round Surefire?

Hey guys I'm sure this is going to get me a well deserved verbal flogging...but I have a serious question. I'm on municipal town council, and our LEO's (the younger guys) are interested in us buying 60-round Surefire mags for their patrol carbines. I have read less than stellar reviews from various sources. And it seems like it's cause of the follower nose diving...along with a complicated spring system that looks like a cobbled up tangled cluster ****...Sooooooo, could a PMag follower be used? I'm sure it would/could alter capacity...but if it would fit, and only change capacity 2-5 rounds it would still be a huge force multiplier and a viable tactical advantage. As the officer is likely not going to kit up if he's in a hurry and put his Tac-vest on. So, if he could add an edge, and buy time with these mags slightly modified by using a PMag anti tilt follower then that would be great.

Any input, even if it's a virtual bitch smack for asking a retarded ? would be greatly appreciated! I just dot want to spend thousands of $ on new mags that could end up getting my boys hurt when a 30 round PMag would have been a better alternative.

I really appreciate the advise!

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by !Nvasi0n View Post
    Hey guys I'm sure this is going to get me a well deserved verbal flogging...but I have a serious question. I'm on municipal town council, and our LEO's (the younger guys) are interested in us buying 60-round Surefire mags for their patrol carbines. I have read less than stellar reviews from various sources. And it seems like it's cause of the follower nose diving...along with a complicated spring system that looks like a cobbled up tangled cluster ****...Sooooooo, could a PMag follower be used? I'm sure it would/could alter capacity...but if it would fit, and only change capacity 2-5 rounds it would still be a huge force multiplier and a viable tactical advantage. As the officer is likely not going to kit up if he's in a hurry and put his Tac-vest on. So, if he could add an edge, and buy time with these mags slightly modified by using a PMag anti tilt follower then that would be great.

Any input, even if it's a virtual bitch smack for asking a retarded ? would be greatly appreciated! I just dot want to spend thousands of $ on new mags that could end up getting my boys hurt when a 30 round PMag would have been a better alternative.

Won't work. The followers wont fit in there at all.

Also I would suggest buying a couple for T&E. I know people who use them with no problems and others who can't get them to function at all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Something else to think about is that if they are using a 60 as thier primary and not carrying a reload, the rifle becomes a big stick when the mag takes a dump.

Feedback Score
    if you need more than 60 rounds at once in your patrol rifle, quit and move to a safer town.
    Red Rider BB gun - Lever Action
    Daisy Model 10 BB gun
    Crosman CO2 BB Pistol
    Daisy F16 Slingshot
    McDonalds Straw and spitballs

Can you believe people actually list thier guns as a signature?

Feedback Score
    As said, it wont work.

Honestly, the only scenario I can think of where a 60 rounder would give an advantage is if you were under siege

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    By the way, a better solution would be redimags or Reid-mods on every patrol rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by !Nvasi0n View Post

Kudos to you for being receptive to their request, giving it fair consideration, and evaluating truly reasonable alternatives. It's refreshing to see in government.

I would deny their request, and offer them half the value of each 60rd magazine requested in high quality 30rd magazines. That's a ratio of ~5:1, depending on the type and quantity of mag you buy. This provides for your troops, is responsible use of the resources you're charged with, and is defensible to the constituents you represent.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    Something else to think about is that if they are using a 60 as thier primary and not carrying a reload, the rifle becomes a big stick when the mag takes a dump.
    +1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Kudos to you for being receptive to their request, giving it fair consideration, and evaluating truly reasonable alternatives. It's refreshing to see in government.

I would deny their request, and offer them half the value of each 60rd magazine requested in high quality 30rd magazines. That's a ratio of ~5:1, depending on the type and quantity of mag you buy. This provides for your troops, is responsible use of the resources you're charged with, and is defensible to the constituents you represent.
    Thanks for the kind words, and the advise! As a conservative, and a pro-2A guy, and all around fanatic of all things firearms I am just trying to help give them the best input I can provide them.

I personally agree that a Redimag, with a back up would be a better alternative to the Surefire. And totally agree that I'd rather have a Tac vest equipped with the best mags money can buy rather than an iffy first Gen item (first Gen to AR's that is) that has little field use compared to the alternative.

My guys are basing a lot of their opinions on the mags based upon larger departments in the area who claim them to be 100% reliable....but then again this input is coming from a PD that issued RRA carbines to their BIB. Sooooooo, kinda hard to take them seriously from my POV.

I'd rather spend extra money on quality mags, training ammo, and classes (most of my guys have state academy only training)...and a few of them look up to me for firearms and ammo advise. So I'm always looking out for their best interest!

Feedback Score
    classes (most of my guys have state academy only training)

+1 ^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast