Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMag Follower in 60 round Surefire?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've used a couple for a year and have had good results. With that being said as a 23 year cop, SWAT, lead firearms instructor, Iraq vet, blah, blah, I would much rather have 2 standard capacity mags than one large 1. I believe there are many people with the experience and wisdom to decide if they are an advantage to them. Unfortunately many who want the 60 rounders simply don't know enough to make a rational decision. Far be it from me to tell other cops what they need but sometimes it has to be done. I see most of the older more experienced cops carrying 30's as spares and starting with a 20 in the weapon. I would rather have 2 20's than 1 60. From an economic standpoint you can buy 8-10 quality mags for the price of 1 Surefire 60.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    OP,

I need to come work in your jurisdiction. The local sheriffs dept in my area wont move past issuing pump action .223s to the road deputies for fear of public backlash over officers having military style assault weapons. (mind you the LEOs on CIRT have M4s)
    Hell the county legislature here is continuously looking for any means to further neuter the department as it is.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Let me say this. I recently acquired another SF60 and it has been flawless, just like the other. The first one has had over 1000 rounds through it.

The second has about 300 to include full auto fire.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Dano5326 Guest
    Ah.. WTF, wow... really?

Working with premier large metro LE tactical teams, who take down guys every night, noted those who use one magazine in the gun and one on the belt. Minimalism has it's own value for the adepts.

Those who's gear and mentality is slanted toward an unrealistic training enviornment may look like walking blackhawk catalogs.

I would think a magazine in the weapon & one extra would be fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It really doesn't make sense for a patrol carbine. A full 30 round mag in the gun, a full mag on your person, and rapid access to more.

When a few of our guys asked, it was an easy no.

Feedback Score
    I hate all that extra weight of a redi-mag or a 60 round mag constantly hanging off a "light weight" carbine rifle. 99.9% of the time the gun is being carried around and held up to cover an area, having lots of ammo ON the gun is really annoying. I have one 30 round in the gun and I keep an extra 20 in my vest. 50 rifle rounds should suffice for most situations, but I do have a more mags in the trunk if needed. This also allows the flexibility of swapping out the 30 with a 20 if I'm going to lay prone for awhile.

I rolled with a redi-mag and two 30 round mags for a few years before stripping off the redi-mag and selling it.

Just my input on too much ammo on the gun, I know it doesn't answer your question about reliability for the SF mag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Let me say this. I recently acquired another SF60 and it has been flawless, just like the other. The first one has had over 1000 rounds through it.

The second has about 300 to include full auto fire.
    I have several, they have all been flawless, thousands of rounds to include lots of auto.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    After spending several hours holding perimeters, I dropped the ready- mag from my patrol rifle. I have the same feeling on the 60. The average LEO is gonna spend much more time holding a position then they will laying suppressive fire. I have gone to a 20 as my primary and a spare 30. Also a chest rig full of 30's, if the situation ever calls for it (all though my experience suggests it never will).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I highly recommend having two mags, the quickest way to get the gun back up and running if it has a stoppage usually requires another mag. If you have a mag related stoppage like a double feed why would you want to reinsert that jacked up mag!
    Same thing when carrying a handgun, it kills when I find out people don't carry a spare mag.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    My "sample set" of one has run without problems with brass case and only had two stoppages with steel.
    I've ran both steel and brass full auto thought it fine. The two stoppages happened with slow fire. I've since polished the divider and feed lips and since then I've had zero stoppages.
    I have almost a thousand rounds with the majority being steel case through it.
    I would have to agree if I were in a departmental situation, I'd go with the redimag. Unless I've had several thousand through one...
    “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Khalil Gibran

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast