Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should i do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    5.56 is more than fine for most anything you're going to hunt in the US of A with the exception of maybe moose and bear which would you still could but you better be up a tree or something. There's a good reason the .223/5.56 is the #1 hunting round in the country. Just because it's designed to kill humans does not mean it's ineffective on other prey. Certainly capable of killing bigger game than prairie dogs
    I was unaware that .223 was so popular for hunting, it was my understanding that .30-.30, .30-06, and 12 gauge were the most popular hunting cartridges in the US.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I was unaware that .223 was so popular for hunting, it was my understanding that .30-.30, .30-06, and 12 gauge were the most popular hunting cartridges in the US.
    I was under the same impression. I would of thought even a 270 was more popular.

Personally ill stick with a 308, in the unlikely event I made a poor shot I want to minimize the chance of the animal suffering.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What are you hunting for in Nevada?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the feed back. Smallest would be rabbit and biggest would be Coyote or fox. Seriously Nevada is a good state for hunting but if you are like me and just did your hunter ed course and have not put in for the lottery your chance of pulling are very slim. pluss i figured i work on my targeting with smaller game before moving up to bigger game.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post

Perhaps 30-06 although its popularity seems to be dwindling a bit. I know at one point (several years ago) I read numerous articles claiming that .223 is the most widely used center fire cartridge for hunting, partly in due to more women and younger hunters using it for the minimal recoil and satisfactory ballistics. But, this was some time ago. Believe it or not, I think .22lr is right up there as well...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    5.56 is more than fine for most anything you're going to hunt in the US of A with the exception of maybe moose and bear which would you still could but you better be up a tree or something. There's a good reason the .223/5.56 is the #1 hunting round in the country. Just because it's designed to kill humans does not mean it's ineffective on other prey. Certainly capable of killing bigger game than prairie dogs
    A coyote is a bigger game than prairie dogs

Um, most hunters with common sense aren't going to use a .223 for hunting large game. I also believe that you should check with your state's Fish & Game Department to see what the required minimum is. Just cause you can kill something with a .22LR doesn't mean it is the proper tool for the job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleajaybrock View Post
    A coyote is a bigger game than prairie dogs

Um, most hunters with common sense aren't going to use a .223 for hunting large game. I also believe that you should check with your state's Fish & Game Department to see what the required minimum is. Just cause you can kill something with a .22LR doesn't mean it is the proper tool for the job.
    Yup, most states have a .24/6mm minimum for deer, to exclude
    .22-250 and .223 on purpose. But there are some that don't.......
    Doesn't mean its a good idea.

Feedback Score
    for hunting in NV
    NRS 503.150  Manner of hunting game birds or mammals.

1.  Unless otherwise specified by Commission regulation, it is unlawful to hunt:

(a) Any game bird or game mammal with any gun capable of firing more than one round with one continuous pull of the trigger, or with any full steel, full steel core, full metal jacket, tracer or incendiary bullet or shell, or any shotgun larger than number 10 gauge.

(b) Big game mammals in any manner other than with a rifle, held in the hand, that exerts at least 1,000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards, or with a longbow and arrow which meet the specifications established by Commission regulation.

(c) Small game mammals in any manner other than with a handgun, shotgun, rifle, longbow and arrow or by means of falconry.

(d) Game birds with any rifle or handgun, or in any manner other than with a shotgun held in the hand, with a longbow and arrow or by means of falconry.

(e) Migratory game birds with any shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.

(f) Any game bird or game mammal with the aid of any artificial light.

(g) Any big game mammal, except mountain lions, with a dog of any breed.

2.  Nothing in this section prohibits the use of dogs in the hunting of game birds or small game mammals.

[Part 2:101:1947; A 1949, 292; 1943 NCL § 3035.02]—(NRS A 1957, 175; 1959, 385; 1969, 1360; 1973, 671; 1991, 266)

and NAC 503.142 Firearms. The board of wildlife commissioners hereby establishes the following exceptions to paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 503.150:

4. A person may hunt big game mammals with a rifle if the rifle uses a centerfire cartridge of caliber .22 or larger.
    Gun Control is Hitting What You Aim At

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12