Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My S&W 19-4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

My S&W 19-4

My dad recently retired after 34 years of service and gave me his first duty weapon...which was really cool.

I don't know much about it, other than it seems to be a pretty standard model that was issued to law enforcement. How can I find out what year it was made? He did tell me that he had a wider trigger and hammer put on.

Serial # 35Kxxxx

Anyhow, just thought you guys would be interested. It's pretty cool to see what the old man carried back in the day. Hearing him talk about when the switch to Glocks was made, the amount of ammo they were able to carry was unbelievable.

As a LEO family, this one is staying with us forever! (I hope to pass along one of my own to my future son/daughter)

Onto the pictures...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Very nice gun.

Kind of unusual for a 6" barrel adjustable sighted gun with target hammer, target trigger, and full size grips to get issued, though.
    Must have been a "well financed" police department.

I've got a Model 17 that looks identical to yours in .22LR that my brother gave me years ago. It is nicknamed a K-22.

I'll bet with some 38 wadcutters, your gun will shoot great.

Feedback Score

Model 19 Combat Magnum

The serial dates it to sometime in 1979. To get the EXACT ship date you can write a letter to S&W and they will give you all the information they have on that gun, that their records may hold. Fifty dollar fee though.

That would have came in a blue, two piece cardboard box, with a cleaning kit, screw driver (sight adjustment tool) and an instruction sheet.

The half inch wide target hammer and target tigger are a bit unusual on a duty weapon, as is the six inch barrel. Generally a four inch gun with the standard 1/8" wide trigger was the norm.

I carried a 19-2 as my first duty gun starting in 1974. We carried six 158 gr mags in the gun and TWELVE on our belt! EIGHTEEN rds was it, unless a guy carried some extra rds in a jacket pocket or a backup.

FN in MT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the good information guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Very nice gun.

Kind of unusual for a 6" barrel adjustable sighted gun with target hammer, target trigger, and full size grips to get issued, though.
    Must have been a "well financed" police department.

I've got a Model 17 that looks identical to yours in .22LR that my brother gave me years ago. It is nicknamed a K-22.

I'll bet with some 38 wadcutters, your gun will shoot great.

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    The serial dates it to sometime in 1979. To get the EXACT ship date you can write a letter to S&W and they will give you all the information they have on that gun, that their records may hold. Fifty dollar fee though.

That would have came in a blue, two piece cardboard box, with a cleaning kit, screw driver (sight adjustment tool) and an instruction sheet.

The half inch wide target hammer and target tigger are a bit unusual on a duty weapon, as is the six inch barrel. Generally a four inch gun with the standard 1/8" wide trigger was the norm.

I carried a 19-2 as my first duty gun starting in 1974. We carried six 158 gr mags in the gun and TWELVE on our belt! EIGHTEEN rds was it, unless a guy carried some extra rds in a jacket pocket or a backup.

FN in MT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What that is..is OLD SCHOOL BAD-ASSERY...thats what.
    Awesome gun. I would have a narrow, smooth trigger, but other than that...the gun is a very viable defense weapon.
    Im a revolver guy..and thats a great piece.
    Nice pics too.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful M19, I also have one in nickel that I enjoy shooting very much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DAMN...yall are killing me.
    NICE PIECE you have also Kenny!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had a near perfect 4" 19-4, target trigger, hammer and sights, and large grips, that I sold like a dumb ass.

I wish I had never sold it, it and every other gun I have ever sold.
    Last edited by austinN4; 04-30-12 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    Guns are for buying, not selling!

And old S&W wheelguns are for collecting!
    Last edited by KennyFSU; 04-30-12 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
    Guns are for buying, not selling!

And old S&W wheelguns are for collecting!

Been buying , shooting and carrying them for 40+ years. Unfortunately I've only been able to afford to buy and stash in the safe...for the last seven or eight years.

My original MT Hwy Patrol duty weapon from 1985. M-28-2 4" , Carried this guy for about five years until we switched to 5903 nines. Note mirror like holster wear at muzzle. LOL.
    Good old gun that was accurate, and reliable. A bit heavy though.

FN in MT
    Last edited by FN in MT; 04-30-12 at 10:27. Reason: add 28

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast