Thread: US Army looking for M-110 Compact

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

US Army looking for M-110 Compact

Does this finally mean that the new precision semi-automatic rifle standard is going to be a 16" 7.62 rifle with a collapsible stock?

http://www.military.com/news/article...2887570&rank=1

The vague details about the submission all suggest it was tailored for the EMC submission from KAC, but given that there are some other very similar and very capable platforms out there, I'm wondering if we'll see REPR like spinoffs once again.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Great, they finally decide to get the weapons for A-stan as we wind down that war and we'll take those weapons and fight the next war.

Be interesting to see how the LMT offering does, since it sound a lot like the model they already sell the Brits.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 04-29-12 at 17:48.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I believe Kevin said it wasn't going to happen over on LF.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Since you brought up a great topic TehLlama that really touches on a recent writeup of mine that I just haven't posted up yet...I figured I'd go ahead and post it up for anyone who cares to read it.

Perfecting the Recce concept.....a case for 7.62/.308
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-29-12 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well it may happen - it just won't happen via a ECP (Engineering Change Proposal) to the M110.

We have a new 5yr IDIQ for the same old same old M110...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Does this finally mean that the new precision semi-automatic rifle standard is going to be a 16" 7.62 rifle with a collapsible stock?
    Germans decided for 16" with collapsible stock (G28), Brits got 16" as well (L129A1), Italians use 12" with collapsible stock (HK417) - all this after experience gained in "A". I see a pattern here.
    Last edited by montrala; 06-01-12 at 06:42.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    The Italians are nuts. With a 12" barreled 7.62x51mm weapon, you're getting closer to 7.62x39 performance from a weapon that is much heavier and ammunition that is much heavier. Not to mention the muzzle blast. I really think that 16" is the lower limit for 7.62 NATO except in very specific applications, a DMR/SASS not being one of them. But, I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    16" barrel guns can do anything that the 20" barrel can do.

However the 12" gun is IMHO a huge waste - its a really big 30-30 and nasty muzzle blast and flash.

Its damn cool - but...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Great, they finally decide to get the weapons for [the current] war and we'll take those weapons and fight the next war.
    I do not want to be a prick, but hasn't that been the trend since time immemorial?

Aren't we always preparing to fight the preceding war??

I mean, not only the weapons, but all equipment.

My perception, not being mil, nor in the defense industry, but one of a civvy lightly interested in mil subjects is the following:
    The ACU was a response to the inadequacy of age-old BDU to the trend of personal armor...as with the boots...as with the .45 and 9mm, as with 7.62 and 5.56 ad 7.62 again...as with HF then VHF then HF and VHF and UHF radios...as with dogfighting and no dogfighting and dogfighthing again... as with the artillery, then smart bombs then arty again ... as light armored vehicles then no armored vehicles then armor again.
    And so on....
    Paulo Marcondes -- Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home