Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Perfecting the Recce concept: The case for .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    What are the specs on your rifle? Sounds like promising results.
    DPMS G2 Recon with .8 diameter barrel.
    Scope was a Diamondback Tactical FFP but I just ordered a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40.
    Also got the new bolt and firing pin from DPMS.
    Rifle is 7.2lbs without optic or can.
    The SLR handguard shaved a lot of weight.

Feedback Score
    Been reading with interest for my next build. I take it there is little to no real advantage to a barrel longer than 16" for the 7.62?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I gotta say my Colt CM with 18' barrel in 6.5CM is a gun that is worth consideration. Sub MOA all day long, and very handy. I have a Burris 1-8 with offset RDS. Its a badass gun I rarely shoot.

I apologize if its already been said but I couldn't read the entire thread.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I gotta say my Colt CM with 18' barrel in 6.5CM is a gun that is worth consideration. Sub MOA all day long, and very handy. I have a Burris 1-8 with offset RDS. Its a badass gun I rarely shoot.

PB
    The 6.5CM is a helluva round, but I just think it's threshold for velocity is commonly believed to be 18". Seems like your example would be a perfected, or enhanced SPR. Basically improving upon the light precision 18" 5.56. That it most certainly would do with flying colors.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50coupe View Post
    Been reading with interest for my next build. I take it there is little to no real advantage to a barrel longer than 16" for the 7.62?
    Strictly speaking for myself......16" is most certainly my limit. Any longer and I might as well just go with a 6.5CM barrel discussed in the previous two replies.

Just my 2cents.

Feedback Score
    Which is why one could consider a 24” LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and wack it off at 16”-18”, giving it a rifle length gas tube. But then hopefully, LMT is working on it...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Why the RDS with a 1-8 scope? Do you not find the 1-8 works well enough at 1x that an offset RDS is better? That is pretty damning of the 1-8.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I have an Accupoint 1-8 and a Leupy 1-8 and they do OK at 1-8, but when the local rifle match is more of a pistol match, we switched back to T-1s on our run&gun rifles.

IF I were going to run a RDS, I'd think about a 2-10 or 3-15. Love a 3-15 on my JP 18inch 556 gun and my LMT MWS, but it really is too much scope for most of what those guns are for. Better for paper shooting than moving around and small targets.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 50coupe View Post
    Just a bit of velocity...

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Strictly speaking for myself......16" is most certainly my limit. Any longer and I might as well just go with a 6.5CM barrel discussed in the previous two replies.
    Right. For something like 5.56 or 7.62NATO, there's not much point in going beyond 16-18", at least not shooting inside 600yds (which is the maximum at my local range).

If you're looking at a hyper-velocity round like 6.5CM (or .243, or whatever), then you're giving up a lot of oomph (and creating a lot of blast) by cutting the barrel short.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Why the RDS with a 1-8 scope? Do you not find the 1-8 works well enough at 1x that an offset RDS is better? That is pretty damning of the 1-8.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I have an Accupoint 1-8 and a Leupy 1-8 and they do OK at 1-8, but when the local rifle match is more of a pistol match, we switched back to T-1s on our run&gun rifles.
    Can switch to RDS in a pinch if a target suddenly shows up while you're zoomed in. Also a handier back-up sight than irons often. If it's an actual offset position, rather than just a 1200 piggyback, can also be used easier when the gun is canted compared to trying to get behind the scope.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Just a bit of velocity...

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

Right. For something like 5.56 or 7.62NATO, there's not much point in going beyond 16-18", at least not shooting inside 600yds (which is the maximum at my local range).

If you're looking at a hyper-velocity round like 6.5CM (or .243, or whatever), then you're giving up a lot of oomph (and creating a lot of blast) by cutting the barrel short.
    Excellent link, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast