Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Perfecting the Recce concept: The case for .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    If you're looking at a hyper-velocity round like 6.5CM (or .243, or whatever), then you're giving up a lot of oomph (and creating a lot of blast) by cutting the barrel short.
    I'd say 6.5PRC is the hyper-velocity round you're looking for. 6.5CM is about the same velocity as .308, but uses a much more efficient bullet (typically). I have a 16" 6.5CM AR308 with a 1-6x scope and it works very, very well out to 600 yards.

https://rifleshooter.com/2019/03/6-5...velocity-2019/
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Got to take the DPMS GII Recon 7.62x51 "Free Puppy" out to the range today.
    Zeroed at 100 yards then confirmed it with a ~.75" 3 shot group.
    Yeah I know. 3 shots. Ammo is expensive!
    Trued dope at 800 then got some hits at 1000.
    I'm satisfied with its performance.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Why the RDS with a 1-8 scope? Do you not find the 1-8 works well enough at 1x that an offset RDS is better? That is pretty damning of the 1-8.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I have an Accupoint 1-8 and a Leupy 1-8 and they do OK at 1-8, but when the local rifle match is more of a pistol match, we switched back to T-1s on our run&gun rifles.

IF I were going to run a RDS, I'd think about a 2-10 or 3-15. Love a 3-15 on my JP 18inch 556 gun and my LMT MWS, but it really is too much scope for most of what those guns are for. Better for paper shooting than moving around and small targets.
    The scope came with offset RDS sight when I bought off a member here. So it wasn’t planned but I like it. No 1-8 with tube scope is as quick as RDS. So I’m not disappointed it on.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whether it's 7.62 or 6.5 what kinda MOA do you guys think a 'precision' gas gun should have?

I know everyone wishes they had a 1/4" gun, but to get the job done; what's the minimum accuracy requirement?

By my own quick math a 18" x 18" target is a 2.25 moa target at 800 yards. So realistically would a 1.5 moa gun be plenty?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I get 0.7-0.9 MOA with mine and I am pleased with that. Would I like better? Sure I would but I also understand limitations of the system when compared to a bolt gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Whether it's 7.62 or 6.5 what kinda MOA do you guys think a 'precision' gas gun should have?

I know everyone wishes they had a 1/4" gun, but to get the job done; what's the minimum accuracy requirement?

By my own quick math a 18" x 18" target is a 2.25 moa target at 800 yards. So realistically would a 1.5 moa gun be plenty?
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 03-04-20 at 06:20. Reason: I suck at typing
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Most will have a lot of trouble outshooting a 1 MOA gun.

While mo’ is always better, I don’t feel handicapped with a 1 MOA rifle.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Depends on what degree of success one would like to have. You have to account for wind error and the efficiency of the bullet. Of course having a repeatable system is important, solid no wind zero, solid fundamentals, scope that tracks properly and ammunition that is consistent. You can control some of those from the get go, the other, you can technically control with good reading skills and fundamentals. Sighting error, caused from lower quality optics, environmental and human error is another factor.

So, I would say minimum repeatable 1 Moa or less would be desirable. If you follow Bryan Litz, an elite wind reader is within 1-2 mph. So caliber/load dependent, you can be 3-6" of error with an average 6.5cm load with a 1mph error.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    How much ammunition do you guys plan on carrying for the large frame guns, and is it worth it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    How much ammunition do you guys plan on carrying for the large frame guns, and is it worth it?
    A couple of combat vet buddies were discussing this recently.
    One the advantages of 5.56 is low ammo weight but, in their experience, bad guys need to be shot more times to get them stopped.
    An original goal of the 5.56, in the 50s, was controllable full auto.
    That desire seems to be fading so maybe the battle rifle cartridges will see a resurgence.
    They talked about always pulling the trigger 3 times with 5.56 and once with 7.62.
    So, if a standard loadout of 5.56 is 210 rounds, divided by 3 is 70 rounds as a starting point.
    Covering fire is a thing in the military so I wouldn't want that few.
    My "Purse Gun" 300 BLK backpack SBR loadout is 81 rounds of supersonic, 51 rounds of subsonic and a can.
    The 308 backpack AR I'm building will probably have a larger loadout but with SOST, M993, expanding subsonics and a can.
    Maybe I need to carry more 300 BLK...
    Last edited by badkarmaiii; 06-29-20 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    so for me, it's 20 in the rifle, another 40 in two more mags in a bandoleer.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast