Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfecting the Recce concept: The case for .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This rifle looks really interesting too.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/05/12...ar-from-larue/
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of the 16" 762 NATO guns, especially as the SDM type of gun.

However I will reiterate the penalty Sinister Dave noted above.

In a house the concusion is brutal, and the size and speed is a hinderance.

Numerically - my SR weights around 12lbs with glass, light, PEQ etc.
    My 5.56mm gun weights a lot less (I'm not doing apples in accessories here as I'm a beleiver in the Arms Room concept, and my 5.56mm gun is kitted out for shorter ranges).

Last weekend I shot our local 2 gun Match with my SR, I reshot some stages later with my 5.56mm gun, as I was just plain curious what sort of time penalty I was taking.

I shot Stage 4 "Hostage" and came in 10th
    Kevin B 00:00:38.22
    in that stage - 0 point down

I reshot with my 5.56mm gun - and was in 23.36 - which would have put my in first by 7 sec and some small change (0 points down).

Granted I had shot the course prior so I knew what it was probably shaved a few seconds - and I was running a T-1 versus the Leupy 1-8 on my SR, and my 5.56mm gun has no PEQ or light.

My reloads (it was a rifle only stage) are slower with the SR - (weight and size penalties again).

It was a start with 10rds to force a reload drill. Also we do not give a major/minor break to the 7.62mm guns so I shot 2rds a piece to each system.

Full disclosure - I have our MAMS muzzle break on my SR - so a lot less recoil and my splits are quite quick - but more concusion. A2 FH on my 5.56mm gun.

In all reality -- I'm probably taking a 50% speed penalty on my SR over my M4gery - which if it was kitted out similarily would slow me a bit more. However I'm gaining about 500m more in usable range between the platform setups I have. I plan on running an apples/apples configue on the clock later this month.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kev Thanks!
    Great first hand perspective.

I ran a 762 PredatAR in training the other day with A2 flashhider and it was to say the least a learning experience. I had shot OBRs at distance from prone and thought I had the recoil impulse figured out, but doing CQC I discovered I do not have the AR 762 recoil impulse figured out I still shoot my FAL much better, but will keep working with the 762 AR.

Look forward to more info from you in this.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I am not quite sure if this fits the roll of RECCE but this is the last evolution of my patrol rifle. Aside from the variable optic and the match grade barrel, this fits all of Trident's noted requirements. The barrel is a CHF barrel and is quite capable of 1MOA. I use the T-1 but I can make hits all day long at 220 yards which is far more than I will ever engage someone in my AO. It is a bit heavier than most of the other patrol rifles but it is also a lot more controllable, recoil wise than the lighter rifles. The Vltor VIS system is as rugged as it is beautiful and it is very nicely balanced. The AAC Mini4 makes the rifle hearing safe for indoor and out door use and only adds a couple inches.

Last edited by CoryCop25; 05-22-12 at 22:04.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the SEALs are using a scoped 417 as the new "recce", then there is perhaps the need for a precision 5.56 rifle, for certain applications.

The fact that the 417 is performing this role with a chromed 14.5" barrel is interesting to me...
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    If the SEALs are using a scoped 417 as the new "recce", then there is perhaps the need for a precision 5.56 rifle, for certain applications.

The fact that the 417 is performing this role with a chromed 14.5" barrel is interesting to me...
    I didnt know that the SEALs were using 417s? I thought that they were using scoped Mk17s for the "Recce" or DMR role. Interesting either way.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Oops, I meant 416. The 5.56 version.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Oops, I meant 416. The 5.56 version.
    Gotcha!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is so much information in these threads. I just wanted to thank the members that contribute the most to these discussions. I think trident said it. There are not many regular contributors, but the one that do make this sub forum one of the most informative.

I have always loved the reece, and the idea of a precision 16. This thread, and a couple others by trident have greatly influenced some of my buying decisions after seeing what is truly possible with the 16" precision rifle whether it be 556 or 762.

I do not have much to contribute, but i just wanted to thank you guys for all the great information.

Feedback Score
    Based to some extent on what I learned from you chaps on this sub forum, I chose to set mine up as a compromise of a compromise: 17in Krieger in 5.56. It's a 9.5lb setup.

Each time I contemplate going to 7.62 I am daunted by the weight, logistics and expense. The fact that I have 1k rds of 77gr match grade ammo makes it difficult to face the cost and availability challenges of acquiring a new caliber. Starting from scratch, and in less complicated times, I may have gone the other direction. Additionally, the rifle is quite manageable and could serve double duty, either with an offset T-1 or a complete optics swap.

Sighting in in a crosswind at 200yds:

Thanks to those of you who helped, however unwittingly.
    Last edited by geohans; 01-10-13 at 05:50.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast