Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfecting the Recce concept: The case for .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...s_euyImqgw6L4g

Seems there's a few new options. This looks light. Don't know about the final accuracy reports I couldn't tell what the groups were on that test target.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hey Trident here's my 7.62 Recce

Armalite upper
    Noveske lower
    Rainier UltraMatch 16" barrel
    DD 12" Lite handguard
    Nightforce 2.5-10X32 mildot in LT104 mount
    Aimpoint T1 in offset DD mount
    Gieselle SSA trigger
    Rainier Raptor charging handle

Weight without bipod: 11 lbs. 7 oz.
    Add exactly one pound for bipod & mount

Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 01-26-13 at 22:05.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Wes, how fast are you with that offset T-1? Ever timed yourself for splits against your 5.56 times?

Also, did it take awhile to get it running, or was it good as soon as you turned the last screwdriver?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just finished building the lower. The upper came from Rainiers on Thursday. So I haven't had the opportunity to take it shooting yet.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Really great job brother....and that's textbook stuff in terms of the configuration for at least my view of a Recce..specifically the 7.62 variant.

Look forward to hearing your impressions and results in the future if you have the time to keep us updated on it.

In a real world threat environment, I'm not sure there is a better compliment to a Recce rifle than the T-1 offset at 1oclock...specifically for my tastes in a LT-724 mount. It feels actually quite natural to transition or slightly cant the rifle to bring up the secondary, and by extension easy to use with some practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I am not quite sure if this fits the roll of RECCE but this is the last evolution of my patrol rifle. Aside from the variable optic and the match grade barrel, this fits all of Trident's noted requirements. T
    While this is a great weapon, a magnified optic is one of the key features that would allow a weapon to be considered "RECCE." As Trident and the others have pointed out, the primary mission for a RECCE rifle is support and engagement at extended distances. This doesn't mean you have to have a scope capable of shooting the cow as it jumps the moon, but a micro-dot wont work. A great option to consider is to place your micro at a 45 degree and use it for close work...
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "Support and engagement at extended distances". Put in that language, it would seem that includes both precision and volume fires. Most people skew their Recces to precision specialization. In terms of volume fires, 5.56 would have the advantage over 7.62.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's wild to see how great minds think a like. Not saying I have a great mind... Just that all you guys had this idea that's been plaguing me in the midst of this gun crazed draught ordeal we find ourselves in. I chose to build up a "Recce" gun for a deployment and found just how awesome it was. Basicly I built a Noveske 16" light recce barreled M4 with the VTAC forend and added a Trijicon 1-4x scope, the best that offered day and night capability and true 1-4x capability (not rich enough for a CQBSS just yet). But most recent I've been thinking the 16-18" .308 would be the heat! I got my hands on Pmags, and a .308 break I was wanting amidst this rediculousness, but I've still not got the rest of it yet. I'd like to go the JP route on the upper and go Pmags comparable lower. Otherwise my goal is to keep the weight down to a minimum and the groups nice and tight.

Honestly when you think about the money spent on a bold gun the numbers are in the favor of this gun even given a slight higher cost initially. Glass you'll buy regardless, and any kind of bolt gun you'll end up puting in a chassis or stock and rebarreling. By that time you've spent what a GOOD sub MOA gas gun would cost ya.

Awesome thread! Thanks for the comparison.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I came to the same conclusion, Matman. Add up up all the compnents for a bolt gun, and you can do an AR10 instead...which has the charming quality of being semi-auto!

But I think you can ditch your muzzle brake; it's not needed IMHO, and will make your future build more pleasant to fire.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Perfecting the Recce concept: The case for .308/7.62

Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I came to the same conclusion, Matman. Add up up all the compnents for a bolt gun, and you can do an AR10 instead...which has the charming quality of being semi-auto!

But I think you can ditch your muzzle brake; it's not needed IMHO, and will make your future build more pleasant to fire.
    The brake helps the volume fire aspect of a recce, especially on a 308.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast